The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (66flea, DennisM, canuck49, 4 invisible), 166 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,071
Posts970,585
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hard starting when engine is warmed up
#1373905 Tue Aug 18 2020 01:03 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
I have recently fired up a 1961 model 235 mated to a 1946 transmission with foot pedal start. The engine fires up and runs great albeit a bit loud with headers and short pipes ending under the seat. The problem seems to be that after driving for a bit, still in the “working the bugs out” phase, it was hard to start again.started up and went for another test drive. This time the engine would barely turn over . It sounds like the starter is fighting the engine to turn over, almost like it’s out of time. Tried again the next day and it fires right up and runs good. The dash gauge doesn’t show a discharge with just the engine running. I’m using a 12 volt system with generator. Any ideas? I’ll check the battery just to make sure it’s not being pulled down if the generator isn’t putting out the proper charge.

I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!
Re: Hard starting when engine is warmed up
Rusty Heaps #1373907 Tue Aug 18 2020 01:30 PM
L
Shop Shark
Check your battery cables and make sure they are in good condition, along with checking for clean ground and clean connection to the starter. I have had similar symptoms with two different trucks. One was a dirty ground connection with the frame and the other was a loose connection of the positive cable with the starter. The poor connections act like a resistor producing heat, which leads to more resistance and then you can't get enough current to operate the starter.
Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Rusty Heaps #1374039 Wed Aug 19 2020 04:07 PM
P
Shop Shark
Also, depending on how close the headers run to your starter, they will prevent the solenoid from working. Ask me how I know frown

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Rusty Heaps #1374041 Wed Aug 19 2020 04:18 PM
G
Shop Shark
Even if its not the current problem, like pan3lman said, headers and starters dont keep good company. Ha, i guess they like social distance. I would find or make a heatshield for the starter in the near futire. If it aint a problem yet, it will be.

Rusty Heaps #1374042 Wed Aug 19 2020 04:23 PM
H
Boltergeist
I'd really like to see a 235 exhaust system that's capable of getting the exhaust anywhere near the starter. You need to do a voltage drop test across every connection from the battery to the starter and back while the "slow crank" situation is happening. Back in the dark ages when mechanics actually performed diagnosis procedures instead of just shotgunning parts at a problem, we called that a "series resistance test".
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Rusty Heaps #1374045 Wed Aug 19 2020 04:48 PM
K
Shop Shark
I had the same problem Kent described ,would start right up after engine warmed up and shut off truck would have a difficult time starting up .I found it would start right up if I parked on a hill and rolled down and let the clutch out in gear.It turned out it was a bad ground that got worse when the engine heated up

Last edited by KEVINSKI; Wed Aug 19 2020 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage
Rusty Heaps #1374049 Wed Aug 19 2020 05:56 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Hotrod Lincoln. Yes, the headers and starter are on opposite sides. I have been running the engine while only putting the negative lead on the battery by hand. Perhaps that is the problem, or at least part. I’ll check the rest of the circuit, too. Thanks Kent for the insightful reply.

I invest my money in precious metals, mostly rust!

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop