The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (55 SHAKER, artinva, DennisM, CrowbarBob, delky, 4 invisible), 212 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,969
Posts969,782
Members43,804
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Any home electrician out there????
#1373281 Fri Aug 14 2020 09:35 AM
W
Master Gabster
Last night as I got ready for bed I turned on the hall light for that end of the house. No lights. I check the circuit breaker it seems to be ok. The strange thing is half of the master bedroom has no power but the bath and some of the wall sockets in the north part of the area do. 2 other bedrooms and the hall ceiling light do not. I check the breaker seems ok it does not flop around. Any helpful suggestions would be welcome. The house built in 1971 and it was built by the same contractor that built about 400 or more in the area. Not the best quality.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Any home electrician out there????
WE b OLD #1373289 Fri Aug 14 2020 12:45 PM
W
Shop Shark
sounds like a GFI has tripped.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
WE b OLD #1373293 Fri Aug 14 2020 01:22 PM
Shop Shark
That happened to me years ago.
One leg of the 220 buried underground to the house shorted out.
Your ac probably also does not work.
Power company came out and repaired the same day at no charge. Made a mess in the yard though.
They are responsible to the meter, the rest is yours in your house.
Call them right now and they should have someone there in just a few hours or less.
Tell them your age and they will make it an emergency call.
Let us know what it turns out to be.

Don

Last edited by 2-Ton; Fri Aug 14 2020 01:23 PM.

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
WE b OLD #1373300 Fri Aug 14 2020 02:14 PM
Master Gabster
We lost power to the front bathroom a month or so back. I called the electrician because none of the breakers had tripped. Before he got here I discovered a GFI receptical behind some books that had tripped and the rest were daisy chained off of it.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
WE b OLD #1373316 Fri Aug 14 2020 03:28 PM
J
Shop Shark
I would like to echo what tiny said. Check your GFI and see if that cures the problem. The last place I lived had a seldom used restroom. It also had a couple of exterior receptacles. One day the outdoor receptacles just stopped working. No GFI, and no tripped breakers. I puzzled over this for a while, and by accident I needed to use the outlet in the restroom. No juice. I reset the GFI and the restroom came back to life, and you guessed it so did the outdoor receptacles.

WE b OLD #1373328 Fri Aug 14 2020 04:26 PM
W
Master Gabster
He was here already. He check the GfI, only one in the house pronounced it ok and it is the bathroom that all the lights and fan works . As far the electric company tells me in letters wanting me to buy insurance for anything outide the house, because they say it is on me. He is coming back Monday. Strange it is the 3 bedrooms and hall way in that end of the house. One recepticle in the bedroom is on with north part of the house. BTW a/c is fine. ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
WE b OLD #1373341 Fri Aug 14 2020 06:09 PM
Master Gabster
Here they're responsible for everything their side of the meter.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
WE b OLD #1373363 Fri Aug 14 2020 08:49 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Where I'm at , lights in the ceiling are wired separate from outlets. If you blow a plug, the lights stay on, I guess would be the reasoning. Since the AC takes 2 legs and works, I would say you lost a wire at an outlet and not one of your legs. Everything downstream from that lost wire would be dead. Has happened to me more than once in my life. I would head to a receptacle that is used often. That minor movement from plugging and unplugging could've made one of your wires pop off if the original electrician didn't tighten it down like he was supposed to.

WE b OLD #1373365 Fri Aug 14 2020 08:52 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
BTW, this is assuming you have a HVAC, not a window AC unit. If this is the case, check to see if one of your 220v items works. Compressor, dryer, etc. If a 220v item doesn't work, you've lost a leg.

WE b OLD #1373383 Fri Aug 14 2020 09:51 PM
D
Shop Shark
If your house was built in 1971, it may have aluminum wiring, or at least a hybrid copper/aluminum. Aluminum wires are prone to separating at the wire connectors. If so, they can cause arcing and/or overheating of wires. Just something else to check.
don

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop