The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (48bigtrucks, bigedpa, 55 SHAKER, 49 3100, 2 invisible), 227 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,087
Posts961,808
Members43,554
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tube rear end
Hotrod Lincoln #1368532 Fri Jul 10 2020 05:12 PM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Aren't some of those front bushings riveted into the torque tube?
Jerry

Good catch,
The 1937 - early 1950 torque tube bushings were doweled in place.
Late 1950 - 1954 torque tube bushings were press fit. (No dowels)
Dowel pins need to be drilled out before removal of bushings.

GM film strip
1952 Rear Axle Overhaul (Passenger Cars & 1/2-ton Trucks [flickr.com]
Dowel pins
slides 22, 28, 29

Tapered screws removal
slide 9

It would be beneficial to know the year of the torque tube.

xfiles

Attached Files
torque tube3.jpg (93.23 KB, 128 downloads)
KEVINSKI #1369292 Thu Jul 16 2020 02:28 AM
K
Shop Shark
I don’t see any rivets on the tubes it must be from a late model ,gave it a few taps and it did not budge sprayed some more lube may have to try some heat don’t know about the Freon,will keep working away at it thanks and yea I was thinking of the push method to just break the rust free .

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage
KEVINSKI #1369317 Thu Jul 16 2020 12:20 PM
P
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
I’m reading all of the posts and can’t figure out why the bushings would stop you from removing the driveshaft. If the driveshaft is rusted to the bearings, the first thing to do is to get the driveshaft to turn.

So my first question to Kevinski is does the driveshaft turn? If it does not, then what penetrant are you using? Kroil is the best followed by PB Blaster.

Here’s a few things you can try:
(1) First try turning the driveshaft with a big pipe wrench (if you don’t plan on using it) or rigging up some handle to use on the u-bolt. Work it back and forth. Additional blows with that BFH will help.
(2) Can you tilt the torque tube up and flood around the shaft? That may direct more penetrant toward the bushings.
(3) Try heating the area area around the bushings then flooding the penetrant. That helps draw the penetrant in. Don’t get it too hot that the penetrant catches on fire.
(4) Patience. Penetrants may work initially or it may take weeks. Keep at it and I’m sure you will be successful.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
KEVINSKI #1369327 Thu Jul 16 2020 01:39 PM
K
Shop Shark
The driveshaft does not turn ,using rust penetrant from Krown good idea about spraying some down the tube on a angle will try that also.I have time to let sit and I will try to free driveshaft to turn and use bfh occasionally thanks for the input Kevin

KEVINSKI #1369339 Thu Jul 16 2020 02:57 PM
H
Boltergeist
Whether or not the shaft turns isn't terribly important- - - - -the bearing race will drive out of the housing either way once the lock screws are removed. Flood the lock screw holes with penetrating oil with the front of the tube below the differential housing so the penetrant can puddle around the bearing race, then heat the housing just ahead of the lock screw holes to expand it. After several days' worth or soaking use the BFH on the U joint end of the driveshaft and repeat as necessary. Something will move, eventually.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
KEVINSKI #1371684 Sat Aug 01 2020 08:58 PM
K
Shop Shark
Update the driveshaft is out of the tube lots of lube and big hammer it was mostly seized up on the tube bushing which also makes the drive shaft were the bushing goes pretty corroded ,don’t know if driveshaft is any good with the pitting maybe there is a sleeve? I can take the pinion gear off and save the driveshaft and tube if there is I also may be able to save the carrier just in case I decide to go to the 355 gears

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop