The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (drdoug, D B Cooper, 49shep, cmayna, AwDang, 66flea), 242 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,087
Posts961,802
Members43,554
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1 ton Park Brake Cables
#1370607 Sat Jul 25 2020 01:40 PM
W
New Guy
Has anyone else ordered the parking brake cables from Jim Carter's and found that they appear to have the wrong end attached at the brake side? The originals had a clevis type attachment (which was just sitting in the brake freely since there were no hooks or "levers" to attach to) while these new ones simply have a steel ball at the end.

If someone has come across this as well, were you able to make it function somehow on your truck?

Re: 1 ton Park Brake Cables
WyoFlyer #1370644 Sat Jul 25 2020 06:47 PM
E
Shop Shark
There is a parking brake cable clip, Jim Carter part number ME168, that fits on the brake shoe end of the cable. They say it fits the 1-Ton but I had to modify the one I bought from them several years ago and was never happy with the result. I ended up finding an original clip that fit just fine. The armored section of the cable was the wrong diameter and couldn't be fixed tightly to the frame mounted bracket without more fiddling.

A couple of years ago Jim Carter said they had a new design cable that fixed these problems. It was a limited run and I don't know if you have the newer design or they had to go back to the old manufacturer. Eventually I got lucky and found 2 NORS cables on eBay that fit perfectly. Talking with the guy I got them from, he said they were the only 2 he had.

Sounds like you need to talk with Jim Carter---they are very helpful when you call.

WyoFlyer #1371158 Wed Jul 29 2020 03:26 PM
W
New Guy
Thanks for the reply. I figured out they do have the clevis piece that attaches to the ball end. However, as stated in previous posts from years past, the actual levers they attach to can only be had from a scrapyard so far.

Thanks again!

WyoFlyer #1371280 Thu Jul 30 2020 08:26 AM
T
Shop Shark
Can you post a photo of the levers?

WyoFlyer #1371588 Sat Aug 01 2020 05:41 AM
G
Moderated
SEARCHED FROM HI TO LOW FOR EBRAKE CABLES TO FIT A 1954 3800 WITH DUAL REAR WHEELS & 14" DRUM BRAKES. SEVERAL PLACES SAID THEY DID NOT LIST THEM BUT HAD THE NECESSARY INFORMATION TO MAKE THEM UP. ANYWAY, I WENT AHEAD AND SEND THEM A COUPLE OF OLD SAMPLES.

LONG STORY SHORT, THREE CABLE PAIRS I BOUGHT FROM DIFFERENT PLACES WERE CRAFTED PIECES OF SOUR CACA. CABLE PAIRS FROM THE SAME COMPANY DID NOT EVEN MATCH ONE ANOTHER. MOST OF THE PROBLEMS HAD TO DO WITH THE OVERALL CABLE LENGTH, ARMOR CONSTRUCTION, ARMOR DIAMETER AND WORK QUALITY. GOT MY MONEY BACK EACH TIME AFTER MANY EMAILS & PHOTOS OF DEFECTS.

AFTER THREE YEARS, I FINALLY ENDED UP FINDING A PAIR OF NOS CABLES ON EBAY. THE CABLES WERE INSTALLED AND FIT LIKE THE BALLS IN A BRAND NEW BEARING. SIMULATED LOAD TESTING HAS BEEN COMPLETED. ALL IS GOOD.

HOPE YOU SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.

WyoFlyer #1371678 Sat Aug 01 2020 08:38 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Turn off your caps lock please.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Moderated by  Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop