The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (cmayna, '37 barn find, D B Cooper, 65c20kcmo, 49shep, AwDang), 262 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,087
Posts961,802
Members43,554
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Worn lock cylinder in ignition
Tom B #1370871 Mon Jul 27 2020 04:31 PM
B
General Purpose
1. It sounds like you have an electric solenoid starter. Sounds like you are using a push button switch and an original ON/OFF switch.
2. You have it wired wrong. The ignition switch does not supply power to the push button. You need wiring advice so that your motor shuts off.
3. You are obsessed with lock cylinders and you are wasting a lot of time and money on a silly idea that you are getting 5 bad cylinders.
4. Get THIS [classicparts.com] switch, same as Jon_G pix, and use one of your lock cylinders in it and Mount this switch in the dash hole and also get rid of the push button. This switch has a far right momentary position for start.
5. I will advise how to wire once you settle down with lock cylinders. You have never actually explained what is broken about the lock cylinders. What is actually wrong with them mechanically other than "worn out".
6. Here in the Southwest we would make a concho belt from all those cylinders.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Tom B #1371671 Sat Aug 01 2020 07:50 PM
T
Tom B Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
You might appreciate the symbolism in this, bartamos. I ordered a new lock cylinder from Classic Parts of America. It arrived on Thursday, inserted into a new switch--all for the price of a lock cylinder! Perhaps you and the universe are trying to tell me something..

I don't believe that I have wired anything incorrectly. Not because I am an electrician, but because I am really, really good at following written instructions and wiring diagrams. The instructions and diagrams supplied by American Autowire are thorough and easy to follow. However, the ignition switch they supplied did not fit into my dashboard without major alterations which I did not want to do. So, I documented by hand all of my wiring terminations on the original switch. For your review,I would be happy to share this diagram with you once I figure out how to get a hard copy into electronic form and post it here.

The new switch is 3 pole just like the original. Aesthetically, I am trying to keep the appearance of the dashboard as close to era as the original. That's why I installed the push button. Let me know if seeing my handwritten diagram of the ignition switch interests you.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts to help me on this problem.

Tom B
1953 Chevy 3/4 ton 3600
1964 292 cu. in. in-line six

Tom B #1371672 Sat Aug 01 2020 08:09 PM
B
General Purpose
Sure, would love to see wiring diagrams, instructions, etc. There are different "ideas" used through out auto electrical design. Best practices economically and electrically changed a little. I was giving you the "settled" wiring for pre-computer, non ammeter, points style wiring most often used. Getting power to headlight switch and ignition switch, with ammeters can be accomplished several ways. As long as you get the power to the switch, it's OK. The newer harnesses use a prewired fuse panel and the harness is a universal kit. So the wiring scheme is not like the original that had little or no fuses and unnecessary terminal blocks.

Please indicate if you have an ammeter and give AAW harness part number. That is the best harness available. Good choice.

It is odd that you want originality but have installed a push button start switch. That's why I thought it was best to go ahead and eliminate that push button while also allowing you to eliminate the foot start and use the all-in-one switch we recommended. It would look pretty close to original in the dash hole I would think.
I support your decisions, it's your truck. I can only suggest options to consider and points to ponder. Always good to have other thoughts, albeit not inline with a persons restore vision.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop