The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (55 SHAKER, blueck, 47chevySC, 78buckshot, buoymaker, 3B), 186 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,919
Posts969,294
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Briggs and Stratton bankrupt
tom moore #1370174 Wed Jul 22 2020 01:52 PM
R
Shop Shark
I've never had trouble with any of the Brigg engines on my equipment over the years. Tecumseh has the worse carburetors. Had great success with the older Kohler engines, not so with the newer ones. Within the last 2 years my power washer is equipped with a Honda and my zero turn mower has a Kawasaki. The electric clutch on the Kawasaki exploded a couple of weeks ago, machine is 14 months old. Replaced under warranty. New electric clutch had bad bearings from word go.

Rick

tom moore #1370541 Fri Jul 24 2020 11:26 PM
J
Workshop Owner
Back in my minibike days, the Tecumseh's had more power but the Briggs were always easier to start and a little more dependable. Today, I have Briggs and Kohlers in the mowers and log splitter. Like everything else, it just depends on which model of engine you have. The Kohler Command has been good for me, but the Kohler Courage has been a major disappointment. Not sure which Briggs I have in my Murray rider, but it's a twin cylinder, very old, is very dependable and has lot's of power. Sad to see them go bankrupt.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

tom moore #1370542 Fri Jul 24 2020 11:44 PM
W
Master Gabster
I gave away my craftsman rider that is 18 years old and bought an almost new from a friend that is a year old and there is a huge diverance in the construction of the 2 mowers. Both are rear engine small mowers. I am not the most careful and I run over small sticks and such and shook me up to hear how much it made with the new one. The new one is a Troybilt of the same style. You can tell the differance, it does a good job and is a lot faster maybe a little to fast for and old man. Maybe just maybe this worked. [photos.google.com]. That is the old one.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
tom moore #1370552 Sat Jul 25 2020 01:07 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
On the farm, we ran only Stihl, Kohler, Robin (Subaru) or Honda gas engines in our little applications -- mainly irrigation pumps or hand tools. BTW, the 5 HP Honda was my favorite -- after 15 years, it ALWAYS started on the first pull. Loved that little guy and I was sad when I had to sell it (the little pond irrigation pump for Hambone and the others who knew our operation ...). Found out the hard way that B&S engines were JUNK so I am not at all surprised that they went under. Good riddance.

For baby diesels, we only ran Yanmars -- absolutely bullet proof little motors. I don't know why B & S motors were junk, I only know that they *were* junk. Most other high use users knew the same thing. What they were years ago wasn't relevant. I only knew what worked on a working farm and what didn't. B&S *didn't*

John
"There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes..."

'49 Chevrolet 3804

tom moore #1370554 Sat Jul 25 2020 01:37 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I had a Sears mower that had a B&S engine. I ran it without oil once (brain fart when changing it and forgot to put oil back in) and it seized up. Said oops and refilled with oil after it had cooled off. It started back up and ran fine and I used it for another 10 years. I found that Sears altered the engines by retarding the valve timing one gear tooth to make starting easier. Other than that one time, I never had an issue with that mower. Gave it away when the deck rusted away (after welding it back together once).
Dad had a walk behind tractor with a B&S 5(HP) motor that he used for years. When he quit using it for planting corn in the side yard, he gave the motor to my brother-in-law for use as a water pump driver.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
tom moore #1370573 Sat Jul 25 2020 03:44 AM
T
Shop Shark
Stihl are making cordless mowers now a bit of the demise of b..& s small engines and the dominance of Honda every generator and concrete vibrator or concrete screed seems to have Honda engine we had a brand of lawnmowers in Australia that was called Victa that was owned by B& S and is struggling now

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
tom moore #1370601 Sat Jul 25 2020 01:08 PM
D
Shop Shark
Oh yeah, I have 4 old B&S engines on display at a museum. Still runs fine, also a cast iron on a tiller bought at Montgomery Wards, have to use 50 wt. Amsoil airboat oil to keep the smoke down. Will rebuild it this winter. Hope them success. Doc.

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
tom moore #1370744 Sun Jul 26 2020 03:48 PM
W
Shop Shark
The last 2 lawn tractors I bought had Kawasaki engines. However. I've never had any quality problems with any Briggs&Stratton equipment. I'm guessing they've had problems with "Legacy expense" being a company that's over 100 years old. Not to mention spreading themselves thin with all their acquisitions. Not to mention, being able to compete on a global marketplace with everything "green".

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
tom moore #1370749 Sun Jul 26 2020 04:42 PM
D
Shop Shark
yes, the only problem we ever had with Kawasaki when I was on the railroad one had to spray an oil based solvent as they were running then let them choke on the solvent so the valves would not freeze up. The red engines (Honda), has pretty much killed the demand for B&S. Dang. As much as I dislike to admit, Honda has a high quality engine. Please don't buy any Chinese sewage motors. Doc.

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop