The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (DennisM, Dhalldens1960, Cosmo, 1953 panel, 55 SHAKER, Brad Allen, 1 invisible), 294 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,465
Posts973,803
Members43,936
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Well dang it all to heck!
#1370567 Sat Jul 25 2020 03:07 AM
52Carl Offline OP
Master Gabster
Another woe is me moment for those of you scoring at home.
I finally fired up the 350 in the 3100 I am building for a guy. It started right up, ran a little fast at high idle, but shut off when I tapped the pedal to drop it down to the idle position. I fired it up again, and it made an awful racket and stalled. I got out and looked under the hood and heard water hitting the floor.
The flange came off of the brand new reverse flow water pump shaft, and sent the fan/spacer/pulley/flange into the brand new radiator so hard that it bent the fan.
Anyone ever have the flange come off of a new water pump? I bought it from a reputable FLAPS and it has a limited lifetime warranty. Big whoop.
The pump costs $27.00 What about my $200 radiator and $80 fan?

Re: Well dang it all to heck!
52Carl #1370588 Sat Jul 25 2020 11:54 AM
T
Shop Shark
I'd have a chat with my FLL, ( friendly local Lawyer). The damage to the radiator and fan was a direct result of a defective part, that is warrantied against defects by the manufacturer.

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
52Carl #1370600 Sat Jul 25 2020 01:08 PM
P
Shop Shark
And the lawyer will certainly charge you more than $280 to try to recover it, which you will not get back even if you win.
You can try small claims, some States will not let you sue a corporation.
Have you talked to the store? They may be willing to give you a store credit for part of it to avoid being sued.
It's not fair, it's just the way it is.

52Carl #1370609 Sat Jul 25 2020 02:09 PM
H
Boltergeist
When I was in business fixing cars and trucks, any reputable parts supplier would cover "collateral damage" from a failed part. An oil pump with a sticky relief valve that wrecked a brand new engine rebuild resulted in the local NAPA store supplying all the parts for a do-over on the engine, and covering my extra labor costs. Of course, I didn't make a habit of doing business with suppliers who refused to cover those kinds of situations.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
52Carl #1370670 Sat Jul 25 2020 09:43 PM
J
Shop Shark
Sorry to hear about this. If it were me, here's what I'd do: contact the flaps where you bought the pump. Explain the problem, take pictures showing what the damage was and commit this all to writing in a straightforward fashion anybody could follow. Give this to them and let them know up front you expect them to fix all the damage caused by the defective pump they sold you. See what they say. It may take a while because the store you're dealing with may have to run this up the ladder, may have to investigate, may have their insurance company contact you, probably will need to contact the maker or the jobber where they got the pump, etc. They have the right to be certain you're being honest and not trying to pull something. If they ignore you or if they tell you they'll give you a new pump and any other damage is up to you, then contact your Attorney General's Office and ask for the consumer protection section. Personally I'd rather have the Att'y General in my corner than an attorney any day. Your attorney general should have the ability to shut down an uncooperative business if he sees fit...and you've already paid him. You will be directed to a task force probably...young folks who are going to explain the process to you, collect data from you and if they agree you've been wronged, will build a case they'll take to management/supervisors who will decide what to do next. "Next" usually means somebody higher up in the Att'y General's office contacts the flaps and this will normally be all that is necessary. Good luck!

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
52Carl #1370734 Sun Jul 26 2020 12:34 PM
M
Shop Shark
What Jon said.

In a previous life I had the responsibility of approving customer claims if our service department or construction crews caused damage. If we were at fault, easy decision, pay. If the claim seemed over inflated, get at least one, sometimes two outside estimates and then pay. However sometimes our responsibility was hard to pin down, I might still pay just for the nuisance value. Better to pay a few hundred dollars and move on than tie up resources for what in the final analysis was a insignificant amount. I'd think if you can get your issue to the proper level, it's a quick reimbursement. It's getting past the people who can say "no" and too that person who can say "yes" that can be the challenge.

Added in edit; Just remembered a good friend who back in the '80s was leaning over the radiator, tuning the carb on the Buick V6 just installed in his old CJ Jeep. Same thing happened. The funeral was a couple days later. It could have been a LOT worse.

Good Luck,

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; Sun Jul 26 2020 01:01 PM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

52Carl #1370740 Sun Jul 26 2020 02:31 PM
P
Shop Shark
Your attorney general should have the ability to shut down an uncooperative business if he sees fit
Things that never happen

52Carl #1370741 Sun Jul 26 2020 02:47 PM
Shop Shark
Carl,

You are having some bad luck lately!

Chris

52Carl #1370742 Sun Jul 26 2020 02:58 PM
J
Shop Shark
Around 1973 or 74 carbide tipped saws were introduced to the consumer market in a big way. In a matter of months it seemed every company was offering them. Almost too fast. A friend of a friend bought one and was using it in his garage. He had walked around behind the table saw to check something when one of the tips came off, ricocheted off the concrete floor and went up through his jeans and right into one of his testicles. About like a bullet from what I was told. He lost that testicle and since it happened at home, worker's comp didn't cover it. He had no health insurance because he worked for a small company who didn't offer it. Very common back then and even some large companies only offered those plans to management and supervisory levels. The maker said "no liability other than to offer a new saw blade." The Attorney General got involved and from what I understood it only took one letter before Charlie (probably not his name but a convenient name to use here) got a check covering the doctor's fee, the emergency room fee, the antibiotics cost, some money to cover gas to/from the hospital, cost of having the blood cleaned off his car upholstery, some money for a new pair of blue jeans and an apology.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
52Carl #1370752 Sun Jul 26 2020 04:59 PM
O
Shop Shark
Man....that is a tough break. Like my grand daddy use to say, it's hell when it's thata way and it's thata way now ☺

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop