The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (Canadian_guy, DeuceTudor, 51 3804, 55 SHAKER, Justhorsenround, 1 invisible), 162 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,071
Posts970,587
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Restored 1949 radio works, but...
#1370183 Wed Jul 22 2020 04:24 PM
Shop Shark
Fred,

The radio I restored and sent to you to check it out over two years ago, finally got installed. I have one station that it picks up at the high end of the scale. Probably because I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC. Not many AM stations around locally any longer. However the volume on the radio seems extremely low. Have to turn the volume up all the way to hear any music on that one station. Sorry for the two part question. Is that normal, or can the volume and sensitivity of the radio be increased for maximum reception? Thank you again for your help and advice.

Tim

"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Re: Restored 1949 radio works, but...
fixit1958 #1370218 Wed Jul 22 2020 08:05 PM
Master Gabster
|Hi Tim,
generally speaking the radio doesn't really have an adjustment to increase sensitivity. However there is a trimmer screw adjacent to where the antenna plugs in. That is used to get the best performance from the antenna. You might want to try adjusting that. The other things I would ask is whether the antenna is fully extended and also whether the truck is sitting in a building with a lot of metal. Extending the antenna above the roof of the truck makes a big difference in my case. You might even try substituting a length of wire for the antenna to see if it has a problem.

Where I live the AM band is extremely weak and my modern daily driver does not do as well as my truck radio. However about 9:30 at night the band livens up, mostly with stations from the US. This is when I enjoy my old console radio listening to broadcasts from far away. You may want to test it later in the evening.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: Restored 1949 radio works, but...
truckernix #1370327 Thu Jul 23 2020 02:40 PM
Shop Shark
Hi Fred,

Thank you for the fast response. You are correct. I have not raised the antenna above the roofline of the truck and have not tried the reception at night. I will try both of these ideas and leave the antenna trim alone for now. I may be expecting too much from a 71 year old radio also. I'm sure the volume on these old tube radios is not what we get from a solid state radio of today. Thank you for your help and suggestions as always!

Tim

"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop