The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Brad Allen, HandyAndy, drdoug, 3 invisible), 165 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,008
Posts970,105
Members43,813
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: leaf spring salvaging 1952 3100 all stock
BretStone #1369014 Tue Jul 14 2020 02:25 AM
Shop Shark
I vote for a total replacement of your leaf springs. I just recycled these front and rear leaf springs from my '47 3104. Note how the shorter leaf has worn into the longer leaf. I purchased new springs (front and rear) from St. Louis Spring for just under $620.00. They came with new bushings too. What a total difference in the ride.....

Attached Files
Front and Rear Leaf Springs -Side.jpg (166.34 KB, 138 downloads)
Front and Rear Leaf Springs - Bottom.jpg (166.62 KB, 138 downloads)
REAR - WEAR.jpg (147.76 KB, 126 downloads)
FRONT - WEAR.jpg (142.91 KB, 116 downloads)
RF Leaf Spring.jpg (116.91 KB, 112 downloads)

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104 [flic.kr]
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred [flic.kr]

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
HandyAndy #1369050 Tue Jul 14 2020 01:30 PM
B
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by HandyAndy
I vote for a total replacement of your leaf springs. I just recycled these front and rear leaf springs from my '47 3104. Note how the shorter leaf has worn into the longer leaf. I purchased new springs (front and rear) from St. Louis Spring for just under $620.00. They came with new bushings too. What a total difference in the ride.....

Oh wow! Yeah I think that new springs are in order. I haven't been able to get mine off yet and fully cleaned to survey whats under the dirt/rust, but I have a feeling that it won't be good. I guess my blasting cabinet will have to wait another paycheck wink

1952 Chevy 3100 - currently apart and hogging up the garage.
BretStone #1369551 Sat Jul 18 2020 12:30 AM
S
Shop Shark
I replaced all mine with new springs from St. Lois Spring for the same reason as HandyAndy - the shorter leaves had worn into the longer leaves. I also got the u-bolts and nuts from them. The springs came with new bushings installed. I got the fronts one summer when visiting my folks near St.Louis and the rears the next summer. I called them with the order in the morning and picked them up that afternoon. Very good service and quality!
Samantha

BretStone #1369623 Sat Jul 18 2020 02:49 PM
H
Shop Shark
Another vote for St. Louis Springs. I have had a lot of old trucks and my 52 is the first one I did all new springs on. I never knew these trucks could ride so well.

BretStone #1369637 Sat Jul 18 2020 06:38 PM
J
Shop Shark
They ride nicely with new springs and if you radius the ends of the leaves where they mate with other leaves just slightly and install lipped liners they ride even better (and more quietly). Radiusing the leaves is a very old trick and I'll tell you another in a moment. These are simple springs and any decent spring shop will be able to make them. Making them work at their best is up to you. When I was in high school we would save a quart or so of old crankcase oil, mix that with equal measure of kerosene, jack the car/truck up and apply that to the springs with a hand pump oil can. It wasn't a lot of fun (particularly in the winter), but your vehicle would ride like new for a few weeks. When it was time to do this again (next oil change) we'd go to the coin op car wash and hose the dirt/dust off the springs first.

Bret it dawned on me last night that one possible rescue for your old springs might be to use spring liners. If the inner parts of the springs are not too pitted, liners might get you by. Spring liners can be Teflon, HDPE, LDPE or other poly compounds. I like the lipped ones because they stay put. Here is an example of the width you need: https://tinyurl.com/y4ur8oro Just a thought.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Jon G #1369718 Sun Jul 19 2020 02:53 PM
B
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by Samantha
I replaced all mine with new springs from St. Lois Spring for the same reason as HandyAndy - the shorter leaves had worn into the longer leaves. I also got the u-bolts and nuts from them. The springs came with new bushings installed. I got the fronts one summer when visiting my folks near St.Louis and the rears the next summer. I called them with the order in the morning and picked them up that afternoon. Very good service and quality!
Samantha

Originally Posted by Hookalatch
Another vote for St. Louis Springs. I have had a lot of old trucks and my 52 is the first one I did all new springs on. I never knew these trucks could ride so well.

I’ll check them out for sure! I haven’t had a chance to check out the local shops yet in person, but if it’s still cheaper with St. Louis Springs, I’ll be giving them a call.

Originally Posted by Jon G
Bret it dawned on me last night that one possible rescue for your old springs might be to use spring liners. If the inner parts of the springs are not too pitted, liners might get you by. Spring liners can be Teflon, HDPE, LDPE or other poly compounds. I like the lipped ones because they stay put. Here is an example of the width you need: https://tinyurl.com/y4ur8oro Just a thought.

Thanks Jon! I’m planning on getting those springs out sometime this week. I’ll take a look at the insides and see if I can get by for a while with liners. I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far with how the chassis looks after cleanup, so I’ll post an update with what I find out.

1952 Chevy 3100 - currently apart and hogging up the garage.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop