The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (Organbuilder), 185 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,951
Posts960,604
Members43,521
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Filling in firewall
Rocket man #1368718 Sat Jul 11 2020 09:09 PM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
Tim and Carl,

I was fortunate to have a couple of pristine '36 Chevy pickups to look at while doing my restoration and also a great VCCA technical advisor, Jim Payne, who provided detailed information. He even had a collection of GM Service Bulletins pertaining to the '36 PU. All of that showed that when the '36 PU left the factory the firewall holes consisted of:

10 1/4" holes for the wire loom brackets and the elongate 4-hole (oil pressure, temperature, throttle cable, choke cable) grommet and rear hood latches.

4 3/32" holes for the VIN plate.

3 larger holes for the vacuum line, dashboard positive electric feed wire from the starter motor switch post and electrolock cable.

All of those holes, along with about 40 others were in my firewall when I got the '36. Now only the 17 original holes are there.

Jim Payne's library of '36 Chevy information was so complete that it included a Service Bulletin on an optional fan shroud that is so rare that in 55 years of owning my '36 and being acutely interested in the '36 Chevy trucks the factory fan shroud on my own '36 is the only one I've ever seen. It took about 40 years of searching to find this one.

Ray W

Attached Files
Shroud rt..JPG (296.09 KB, 120 downloads)
Shroud lt..JPG (279.04 KB, 119 downloads)

Ray
Rocket man #1368720 Sat Jul 11 2020 09:43 PM
ace skiver
thumbs_up

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Rocket man #1368725 Sat Jul 11 2020 11:19 PM
C
Shop Shark
Rocket Man,

I use a Mig welder for my welding, used .023" solid wire for the sheet metal work, it helps to minimize distortion and I think it's easier than oxy-acetylene welding. The measles are still there, I haven't started body working the firewall yet. My plan is to complete all of the metal work on the vehicle before I start body working any panels. Just my preference.

Charlie

'51 3100 5-Window (Restomod in progress)
Rocket man #1368729 Sun Jul 12 2020 12:18 AM
C
Shop Shark
I use nothing but 3M Panel Bond on cut to size patches. No heat, no warp, and done in an hour. Just rough up with 36 grit around holes and the same on the patch. Smear enough on to squish out around the edges and the patch is waterproof. All airliners and super sonic fighters are panel bonded so an AD pickup shouldn't have a problem.

49 with 61 holes in firewall panel bonded:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5YXQ7PCR/dan-s-49-011.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Center of dash had been butchered with several modern radios so panel bonded in:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/TpVL45Kf/dan-s-49-002.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Model A soft top replaced with bonded in metal filler panel---1 hour labor time; welding used to take a week
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/svr17fw8/IMG-4335.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Evan
Rocket man #1368731 Sun Jul 12 2020 12:28 AM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Evan
Doesn't panel bond need an overlap? I've never used it, but I would think that patching little holes that the OP is talking about would either require a backer or something to support the patch level with the original metal. Of course on a firewall, the backers would be covered up by the blanket or floor covering.
Do you have any pics or an explanation of the process?

The "after" photos do look nice. thumbs_up

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Rocket man #1368733 Sun Jul 12 2020 12:45 AM
C
Shop Shark
The firewall patches are about a half inch bigger than the holes and the top ranges from 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch overlap. Picture of truck is recent on what was done 16 years ago and Model A was done 5 years ago; zero problems with either.

Evan
Rocket man #1368734 Sun Jul 12 2020 12:49 AM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
So they have to be smoothed over with body filler, then right?

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
clarsen3100 #1368740 Sun Jul 12 2020 01:03 AM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
"I use a Mig welder for my welding, used .023" solid wire for the sheet metal work, it helps to minimize distortion and I think it's easier than oxy-acetylene welding."

Cklarsen,

You make an excellent point. Oxy-acetylene welding does put a lot of heat into the workpiece, and with sheet metal distortion results. My firewall repair was done so long ago that Mig may have been around, but it was not in widespread use and I had not even heard of it then.

Because I had taken 3 semesters of evening adult education classes in auto body repair I knew how to shrink sheet metal and that allowed me to get the firewall flat after all that welding. Metal shrinking was also required on the bed of my '36 PU that (no exaggeration) looked like a sack full of rocks because it was so lumpy.

Just for fun I looked at what Panel Bond is and it seems to be glue for sticking on patches. Being old school, I prefer an actual welded in patch in body sheet metal. When the welds are ground smooth what remains is a solid panel exactly like what was there before the hole was made. I do understand the appeal of a product that is quick and easy to apply, not requiring any metal working skill. It's the same appeal that Bondo has.

Ray W

Ray
Rocket man #1368749 Sun Jul 12 2020 01:56 AM
Master Gabster
Panel adhesive is not Bondo. Not even close. It is what I use on the pinch weld seem at the belt line of the cab. replace rusted out spots, media blast, epoxy prime, fill seam with panel adhesive, and sand to butter smooth.

Last edited by 52Carl; Sun Jul 12 2020 01:58 AM.
Rocket man #1368837 Sun Jul 12 2020 10:54 PM
C
Shop Shark
Ray W (Yar),
If you have owned a Chevy pickup anywhere after the mid 90's you have experience with panel bond. The door hinges are bonded to the body---no weld no bolts. Haven't noticed a lot of Chevy pickup doors that have fallen off and are laying on the roadway which is pretty good for Bondo. Might be best to watch for parts falling off an F22 or F35 JSF fighter since they are "Bondo'd" together. I will go back to rivets and weld right after I move from my house back into a cave.

Evan
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop