The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (ApacheFiend), 174 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,922
Posts969,326
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
3800 Dually - Original Wheels or Swap Em'?
#1368263 Wed Jul 08 2020 09:42 PM
Moderated
Hey all, I'm new to forum but I've had my 49' 3800 dually for a little over a year now and it's finally time to get some new rubber. I want to keep the truck as original as possible but it's definitely not a restoration project. I'm looking at $1,700 - $2,000 just to keep the existing wheels and have new rubber mounted. Is it worth it to maintain the look or should I rip the band-aid off and change out the wheels to the 19.5" that I hear so much about or another option? I want to try and avoid having more issues pop up down the road and regret salvaging what's there instead of just changing them out now. Looking to all of you that have been down this path before. Would you do it again or change it?

TIA

Re: 3800 Dually - Original Wheels or Swap Em'?
49' 3800 #1368538 Fri Jul 10 2020 05:45 PM
E
Shop Shark
It's a personal choice. I think the stock wheels look great and I get a lot of positive comments on the ones on my trucks. I was fortunate that my wheels were in good condition and completely useable. The modern wheels give you a better choice of tires, it's cheaper and easier---it's getting more difficult to find tire shops that will work with the old wheels---not having to use flaps and tubes but I like the appearance of original style tires.

Moderated by  Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop