The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
23 members (artinva, Brad Allen, 66flea, 6 invisible), 197 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,045
Posts970,407
Members43,823
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Preserving paint and patina
coilover #1367928 Mon Jul 06 2020 04:55 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by coilover
... but I always keep an airline barf bag folded up in my pocket.
Tell us how you really feel about patina, Evan. grin

BTW, I'm probably in your corner on that patina thing. I've seen a few faux patina jobs that were just WRONG!

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
46 Chevy Mom #1367930 Mon Jul 06 2020 07:29 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
Evan

So you don't like patina, that is your opinion and does not help the original question. I am keen for helpful answers.

For some of us there may be a reason to keep patina, or the history of the truck. For me, I have a truck that I got from my father. I have no idea how it looked in 1941 when it was built, I was not there and would only be imagining. I do know how it looked in 1974 when Dad got it. I even remember how it looked in 1977 when I started driving it. As it has deteriorated little since then because it was kept in a shed I would like to keep the patina. It is not for anyone else's benefit but mine only, because I spent many hours as a kid in that truck. That is what my memories are, not the shinny looking thing that was made in 1941. It may not have been that shiny for all I know.

This may even seem strange that I am going to leave a dent in the mudguard and a crease in the bumper that was not repaired properly. I have included an attachment that explains how the dent got there.I will even leave the scratched name and service number in the dash that Private Shepherd presumably did sometime in the early 40's after the truck left the factory.

So I am keen to here of ways to protect an old truck from deteriorating so I can enjoy it for me. I don't wan't fake paint or clear coat.
For those who have no interest in this topic or nothing positive to add please don't try and push your opinion.

Thanks

Steve

Attached Files
Wallace acident.PNG (48.78 KB, 133 downloads)
Last edited by reidy; Mon Jul 06 2020 07:33 AM.
46 Chevy Mom #1367942 Mon Jul 06 2020 12:22 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Reidy, we welcome the various opinions on most any subject, so, your request for no comments on your “opinion” is likely to be ignored. Don’t take it personal. Evan’s opinion was a bit harsh but it is how he feels. Personally I can take them either way. The concourse restoration crowd has some beautiful trucks. The rusty but shiny group has some nice looking stuff and the rat rod congregation can’t be faulted for their creative nature. All are cool in their own way. In your case you like the history on the truck so by all means keep it as is. Maintain it, drive it and appreciate it for what it is.
laalaa

Last edited by Justhorsenround; Mon Jul 06 2020 12:23 PM.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

46 Chevy Mom #1367949 Mon Jul 06 2020 01:38 PM
W
Shop Shark
Everyone is indeed different. I personally have never wanted a brand new 1948 Chevy truck but I like to look at them.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

28 Years of Daily Driving but now on hiatus. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
46 Chevy Mom #1367992 Mon Jul 06 2020 05:20 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Reidy
My opinion was just that. Your description of the history of the truck would want me to maintain it in it's current condition as well. It's like a museum piece. thumbs_up
My experience with the faux patina rigs is that someone was trying to make a new paint job look "old" and failed miserably. One truck I saw had bullet holes in the tailgate and with the two color "patina" job, had the depressed portion of the bullet holes the color of the top coat instead of having rust around them. Total failure.
Enjoy your truck the way you want it. smile

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
46 Chevy Mom #1368001 Mon Jul 06 2020 06:36 PM
W
Shop Shark
Speaking of bullet holes, this was at a local junkyard. Perhaps it starred in "Bonnie and Clyde."

Patina Extrema.

Attached Files
BonnieAndClyde.jpg (118.25 KB, 97 downloads)
Last edited by Wally / Montana; Mon Jul 06 2020 06:38 PM.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

28 Years of Daily Driving but now on hiatus. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
46 Chevy Mom #1368015 Mon Jul 06 2020 08:09 PM
C
Shop Shark
I'm sure that much of my distaste for the patch and make do approach on old rides is that I don't have to wonder what they were like back in the 50's because I was DRIVING them in the 50s. The column shift was precise, the steering was smooth and easy, the brakes worked without pulling or extreme pedal effort, even the doors and latches fit and worked well. This is MY memories of them so that's what I want to see in a finished one along with a 1950's appearance. Contrary to what many think not all rides that come in the door leave as hot rods.

57 Cameo; never entered a show it didn't win:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/mPqgt1gz/Cameo002.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Plain Jane 57 3100, 235, optional 3sp OD trans, and NOT optional in Texas--a/c
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/8sKQpQ5s/IMG-4167.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/r0DG5rSB/IMG-4166.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

53 3100 going back home:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/xXbcG37y/evan-truck-007.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Another 53 3100:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/Tpf94pGD/mod-A-018.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Evan
46 Chevy Mom #1368045 Tue Jul 07 2020 12:19 AM
B
Shop Shark
I am by no means a expert on any of the subjects on this forum. Just completed my first "restore" on a 37 gc. Always wanted to do a truck so thought I better get going. I didn't care about the money, I wanted it to look original and I have always liked RUST
. Did a frame off, powder coated frame, new rear, 57 235 gone through, S 10 5 speed front disc brakes,and went through everything on the bottom. Cleaned with dawn soap and vinegar and coated with Penotrol. Very few rust holes, lots of original paint and patina. Still have to put Penotrol on back fenders, waiting for darker rust. I love it and have lots of compliments. Do what you want, it's your truck. Bill

Attached Files
IMG_20200113_143817180_HDR.jpg (1.31 MB, 82 downloads)
IMG_20200326_134402399.jpg (1.2 MB, 80 downloads)
46 Chevy Mom #1368072 Tue Jul 07 2020 02:45 AM
Master Gabster
Here's my take. I feel strongly both ways.
I have one of each. A "pretty boy" truck, and another one which is what you call an old restoration with pimples, checked paint, a few dents, etc.
No matter which one I take to a car show, people swarm around each one equally.
I had a guy comment to me about the rugged looking one. He said, "I don't want one of those "pretty boy" trucks. I want one just like this one!"
The only difference between the two trucks in my eyes is the $25,000 spent on one of them, compared to the $25 spent on the other one.

46 Chevy Mom #1368088 Tue Jul 07 2020 07:39 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
For those that want nice paint I am all for it. For those that want to show off a high class paint job or ask a question on how to achieve it, start a post and get some replies. I for one will be having a read and learning. I would find it equally frustrating if someone had a post on how to get show winning paint and another poster wanted to share there opinion on how to protect patina.

Personally I like both looks but for the purpose of this post can you share your tips for maintaining old and weather paint to protect it for as long as practical. If you have tried the linseed oil or another technique let us know how it turned out. The YouTube videos shows what it looks like ten seconds after completion but not what it is like after a two hour drive. Is there a wax that seems to last well and protect the finish that does not look like the truck has just been rubbed down with baby oil.

Thanks

Steve

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop