The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (55 SHAKER, Goach2, Hotrod Lincoln, delky, J Lucas, baldilocks), 245 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,992
Posts961,009
Members43,528
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cylinder leak down test results.
Lugnutz #1367789 Sat Jul 04 2020 11:07 PM
H
Boltergeist
"Clock" the rings if you feel like it, but it's a waste of time on anything but a 2-stroke engine where the end of a ring can get hung up in a transfer port- - - - -and those pistons have pins in the ring grooves to prevent that from happening. Rings rotate around the piston all the time, and yes, the gaps do align with each other occasionally (for a few seconds). I had a training engine with a quartz window in one of the cylinders, and I used to watch the rings spin around the piston with a delay-flash timing light set to slow down or stop the piston travel.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Lugnutz #1367963 Mon Jul 06 2020 03:17 PM
S
Shop Shark
My $.02.
Regardless of the rings sealing, you still have leaking valves on 3 intakes. (What about exhaust valves??) My suggestion is talk to the builder and get his take on his willingness to stand behind his work.

SimS

Lugnutz #1368062 Tue Jul 07 2020 01:42 AM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Shop Shark
Good news!
I spoke to the engine builder today and he seemed very eager to help me solve the problem.
I’ll report back when I have a final plan.

Lugnutz #1368665 Sat Jul 11 2020 02:22 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Shop Shark
Finally had time to run the engine again. The HOT test was after 10 minutes run time and engine reached 190*. Cylinder #5 has issues for sure. These compression numbers don’t look good. I’ll talk to the builder this weekend and make a plan.

Attached Files
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop