The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Gib70, Canadian_guy, 49shep, Clem Donahue, Achipmunk, 3B), 246 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,938
Posts960,524
Members43,519
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: broken off lug nuts
37 GC #1367769 Sat Jul 04 2020 09:26 PM
B
General Purpose
Willys have that swage. What a pain. The tool is megabucks. For one or two studs, a hole saw will work. Many folks/mechanics use the washer and backwards nut method to install. If you fear what Jerry says use THIS [amazon.com] As JonG posted

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

37 GC #1367771 Sat Jul 04 2020 09:30 PM
J
Shop Shark
I had to replace one a few months ago. This was in a 1969 Chevy 1/2 ton rear end (6 bolt hub). Once the axle was out, it was no problem. Wasn't swaged and four or five sort of dead hits with a hand held sledge knocked it right out the back. Then I used a little tool I got years ago to install the new one...think Lisle made it. The way that tool works is (a) you lube the lug stud, insert as far as it will go, put the tool over the stud, rub a bit of grease on the cone part, thread on the nut and start tightening it. As you tighten, it pulls the stud in smoothly all the way to where it stops. Biggest irritation was having to drain the oil and make a new gasket.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
37 GC #1367784 Sat Jul 04 2020 10:54 PM
H
Boltergeist
After working as a warranty claim and shop damage inspector for 15+ years, I've seen enough stretched and broken wheel studs and run-off wheels from over-torquing of lug nuts that Bill Gates couldn't write a check big enough to make me install a stud that way. If you think that you're smarter than the engineers who wrote the torque specs, be my guest! I'll hide and watch while you try to make that spline cut its way into the hub or axle flange without stretching the thread. Just please let me know where and when you'll be driving so I can stay home and won't have to worry about dodging the wheels you're going to lose!

"What's worse- - - - -ignorance or arrogance?"

"I don't know- - - - -and I don't care!"

Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1367788 Sat Jul 04 2020 11:06 PM
B
General Purpose
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
After working as a warranty claim and shop damage inspector for 15+ years, I've seen enough stretched and broken wheel studs and run-off wheels from over-torquing of lug nuts that Bill Gates couldn't write a check big enough to make me install a stud that way. If you think that you're smarter than the engineers who wrote the torque specs, be my guest! I'll hide and watch while you try to make that spline cut its way into the hub or axle flange without stretching the thread. Just please let me know where and when you'll be driving so I can stay home and won't have to worry about dodging the wheels you're going to lose!

"What's worse- - - - -ignorance or arrogance?"

"I don't know- - - - -and I don't care!"

Jerry

Jerry I advise you not to read the automatic email you get. I advise you to read the stovebolt post. I have actually done it that way with NO problem several times. But to be more safe for someone else, I changed the post within a few minutes of first thought. So relax. Get some anger management help. You are NOT intimidating anyone.
The Internet has it done with washers and backward nut on Hemmings, Autozone, and a billion other places. Millions of lug bolt changes with NO problem.

Your posts are suggestions not demands.

37 GC #1367790 Sat Jul 04 2020 11:14 PM
H
Boltergeist
Just expressing an opinion based on real world experience, not Google-fu. "Your mileage may vary"- - - - -assuming the wheels stay put!
LOL!

I got over being angry at the pontifications of keyboard commandos a LONG time ago!
Jerry

Hotrod Lincoln #1367791 Sat Jul 04 2020 11:15 PM
B
General Purpose
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Just expressing an opinion based on real world experience, not Google-fu. "Your mileage may vary"- - - - -assuming the wheels stay put!
LOL!

I got over being angry at the pontifications of keyboard commandos a LONG time ago!
Jerry

Oh, yeah, I see that you got over it.

You are the real world. I didn't know that.

Last edited by bartamos; Sat Jul 04 2020 11:21 PM.

37 GC #1367798 Sun Jul 05 2020 01:47 AM
J
Shop Shark
Jerry (& others), please let me explain a little better. The new stud you get is very likely to have the same splines as the one you knocked out. Compare the two and see. If you'll feel around just a bit I think you can probably tell when the new one mates with the existing spline grooves...at least this worked for me. Then I doubt you will need anywhere near enough torque to do any damage. Especially if you grease it. Note: there were two types for 1969.. one for 6 lug and one was for 5 lug.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
37 GC #1367801 Sun Jul 05 2020 01:58 AM
B
General Purpose
I guess that would be OK as long as it is tight enough to prevent turning. The spline OD needs to be sized properly.

37 GC #1367911 Mon Jul 06 2020 01:04 AM
37 GC Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks guys, yes I think there is room for the new one to fit back into place. I just didn't want to heat and bang around on something to get the job done only to find out I ruined everything else around it, bearings, seals etc. I am going to take one of the earlier solutions, bite the bullet and pull the axle,take it to town to a real press then do new seals, change gear oil etc and hope there isn't sawdust packed in there like in The Grapes of Wrath era fix for a growling rearend. Are the rear seals Felt like the front ones. C clips, bolts or what? Where can I find a breakdown illustration. never been into a vintage tube type rear.

All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY.
If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.
37 GC #1367919 Mon Jul 06 2020 02:01 AM
H
Boltergeist
The rear axle seals are rubber (or probably neoprene) lip seals with a garter spring to hold the lip tight against the axle shaft. They're pressed into the housing outboard of a caged roller bearing that's pressed into the axle tube. If you're only swapping seals, just use a big pry bar, lever the seals out, and drive new ones in. Changing bearings is a bit more involved- - - -the bearing cage is a tight press fit into the housing, and usually requires a special puller to remove the bearing. The bearing rollers also ride on a hardened section of the axle shaft, and if the shaft is worn, it must be replaced, or a special offset bearing can be used to place the load onto an unworn part of the axle. You won't know what you're dealing with until you get things opened up. The axles are retained by C clips on the inboard ends which can be accessed by removing the spider gear pivot shaft and gears, and pushing the axle shafts in about 1/2" or so. Good luck!
Jerry

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop