The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (BC59, aircommando462, 2ManyTrucks, cmayna, 78buckshot, Barney1951, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,543
Posts974,437
Members43,961
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
broken off lug nuts
#1367641 Sat Jul 04 2020 01:35 AM
37 GC Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have two broken off lug nuts on the rear axle of 1/2 ton '37. has anyone have a way to cheat and use pullers/whatnot to press them out without pulling the axle?

All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY.
If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.
Re: broken off lug nuts
37 GC #1367647 Sat Jul 04 2020 02:22 AM
'
Wrench Fetcher
Hi, I just went through the same thing with my '37 1/2 ton.
I tried a hammer and punch, heat and punch, and heat and air hammer punch with no luck. I finally pulled the axle and tried
to press it out with a large vice. I gave up and took it to a local automotive machine shop where it took a large hydraulic press
to get it out and even with that it didn't come out easily. After seeing that I felt that pounding on it hard enough to get it
out would likely cause damage inside the differential or warp the flange that the bolts are pressed into.
It was a hot muggy afternoon so I threw the guy a twenty for some cold beer after work and everyone was happy.
The axles come out pretty easily and it's a good chance to flush out the differential and replace the axle seals.
Good luck

37 GC #1367657 Sat Jul 04 2020 02:45 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
If you can take the brake drum off, you may be able to get a ball joint press in there and press out the stud. The studs may be swaged into a conical portion on the outer part of the hole in the axle, which would make them very hard to press out. I believe there's a tool to cut out that part so they can be removed easier.

Picture attached.

Attached Files
ball joint press.jpg (21.52 KB, 126 downloads)
Last edited by klhansen; Sat Jul 04 2020 02:51 AM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
37 GC #1367707 Sat Jul 04 2020 03:21 PM
P
AD Addict
If klhansen’s tip doesn’t work: A trick I have used numerous times as a machinist to remove rivets and bushings is to use a couple of drills that end up leaving about 1/32 to 1/16 wall thickness. Drill far enough that it goes thru the part holding the rivet or in your case stud, but not all the way thru the stud. This accomplishes several things. First, it weakens the walls so there is less compression, second, the drill generates heat and since it can’t expand outward due to the greater mass of the axle, it expands inward. When it cools, it contracts the outer wall loosening the rivet/stud. By not drilling all the way thru, you can use a punch to drive it thru. One more tip, on the last drill, don’t use lubricant. You want it to generate as much heat as possible.

You must exercise caution when drilling, so you don’t drill thru the side and destroy your axle. If the broken off stud is below the surface of the axle, use a drill that just fits and drill a small spot to center the smaller drills. If it is above or flush, grind it flush with the axle then center punch center as best as you can. It is better to leave too much wall thickness then take a chance of breaking thru. If it still won’t come out, take a OA torch with a small tip and concentrate the heat inside the hole you just drilled and get it cherry red. Let it cool then try the punch again. A propane type torch won’t work in this instance as it will spread out the heat too much. Good Luck and let us know the out come!

Last edited by Phak1; Sat Jul 04 2020 03:30 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
37 GC #1367711 Sat Jul 04 2020 03:27 PM
H
Boltergeist
I tried replacing all the lug studs on the rear of my 04 Ram 1500 awhile back (long story- - - -don't ask) and found that there was no room to use a ball joint press even if I removed the brake calipers. I ended up pulling the axles and replacing the axle bearings and seals while I had the axles removed. On a drum brake setup, there won't be as much room behind the axle flange as I had to work with. Bite the bullet and pull the axles- - - -it's a lot less work than fighting with it on the truck.

Yes, the studs are usually swaged in place. Either drill the head off the stud and push it through from the back side, or find the proper tool to cut the swaging away.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
37 GC #1367713 Sat Jul 04 2020 03:35 PM
P
AD Addict
Just read Jerry’s post and did not know about the swaging. If the swaging is above the axle, grinding it flush may do the trick. Maybe Jerry could elaborate on the swaging method used.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
37 GC #1367718 Sat Jul 04 2020 04:32 PM
I have to admit I've never tried using a ball joint press, but they advertise them for use on removing big truck wheel studs and brake anchor pins. Likely a lot more room there.
I did look thru the service manual, and it does mention using a special tool for re-swaging replacement lugs on 1/2 ton AD trucks.Hub bolt Peening Tool and Anvil J-554 [pic showing multiple sizes of peening tools]. It doesn't mention cutting out the swaged part, but just using a press to remove. Phil's method of partially drilling would work.

Attached Files
IMG_3128.JPG (181.87 KB, 97 downloads)
IMG_3129.JPG (233.46 KB, 98 downloads)

Kevin
37 GC #1367719 Sat Jul 04 2020 04:34 PM
C
Shop Shark
Maybe 40 years ago I bought an air tamp hammer from a salvage store that had "Bell Telephone" on it. It's about half the length of a regular one and takes a 1" air hose to feed it. Made various size drivers to mount to the 3" dirt compacting foot and have never ran into a king pin or wheel stud it wouldn't move. Have had grease catch on fire around a stubborn king pin but the tamp hammer always won. Sometimes had galled metal coating the pin where it just brought some axle with it. Really hope they put it in the coffin with my body when I die. On carry in axles I've seen the hydraulic press gauge go as high as 15+ tons before any movement so pins/studs can be tight.

Evan
37 GC #1367720 Sat Jul 04 2020 04:45 PM
B
General Purpose
I have used THIS. [oreillyauto.com] O'reilly's loans them, Worth a try. Lots of PB blaster first. You really need an impact wrench for this.

Drilling as Phil said, will take a long time but it will work.

Also sounds like taking the axle out is not difficult.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

bartamos #1367723 Sat Jul 04 2020 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by bartamos
I have used THIS. [oreillyauto.com] O'reilly's loans them, Worth a try. Lots of PB blaster first. You really need an impact wrench for this.
That looks very promising. I'll have to try and remember that if I run into lugs that need replacing.

Kevin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop