The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (DaveV, D B Cooper, J Lucas, fonz8261, gsharum, 2 invisible), 173 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,338
Posts977,398
Members44,205
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Disc Brake Conversion for 49 Chev 3600
TGill #1358499 Mon May 04 2020 11:02 AM
A
Shop Shark
Thanks TGill

Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

TGill #1360623 Sat May 16 2020 09:24 PM
T
TGill Offline OP
Tbone
I'm going to start-in on brake conversion thanks to the advise I've received from the Bolters. It appears 16x6 or 16x8 wheels will work with the TSM disc brake front wheel conversion. Brakes, steering, suspension are first up before I get into re-building my 235 or looking for a 261. I've received strong recommendations to consider the 261 over the 235. John Milliman has provided some great direction on making the switch to a 261 engine. For those who have changed/increased wheel sizes, I'd be interested on feedback to the advantages of 16" vs 17" wheels?

TGill #1360628 Sat May 16 2020 10:16 PM
J
Shop Shark
I would look at tires for both size wheels, then decide what the price difference would be. Most everything is going to 17", so finding new take-offs maybe a good way to save some money. 16" are getting like 15" & 14", hard to find in a decent brand tire.

TGill #1360639 Sat May 16 2020 11:44 PM
T
TGill Offline OP
Tbone
Thanks Joe H. I've checked both JEGS and Coker and can only find 16" steel wheels. Through JEGS, they offer a Wheel Vintique, 939-82-660804. I'm going to keep looking for a 17" steel, 8 lug wheel. I have a cosmetic question. I want to keep the original look of my 1949 3600 truck and make sure the wheels will fit-up my original Chevrolet hub caps. On my original wheels, the hub caps are captured with 4 clips that are riveted to the rims. On the Vintique wheels, I don't see how these rims will capture hub caps. Has anyone solved how to retain the original hub caps to new wheels?

TGill #1360764 Sun May 17 2020 09:32 PM
W
back yard wrench turner
Buy the clips from Jim Carter and attach them to the wheels with rivets.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
TGill #1360787 Sun May 17 2020 11:58 PM
T
TKM Offline
New Guy
TGILL, I just went through the same process on my 1949 3600. “Standard“ steel rims had a 4 inch backspace which simply don’t allow enough backspace, wheel rubs against the tire rod end. So, I bit the bullet and ordered 16 inch steel rims from Wheel Vintiques with a 3 1/2 inch backspace. Payment is upfront and I was told delivery would be eight weeks. After eight weeks I called and was told they could not meet my specs which they assured me they could, when I ordered, (and paid for them.) Before I could cancel the order I received an email stating that they could build the wheels as ordered. I was told they would ship in 3 to 5 days. After two weeks I called and was told again that the shop decided they could not make the wheels. Again, I canceled the order but received another call a few days later saying they could make the wheels with a three and three-quarter inch backspace, which I declined. Unhappy to say the least.

And yes, I was contacted once more and told the shop manager had decided they could build them with a 3 5/8 inch backspace which I then approved. I was assured they would ship within two days. In fact, they didn’t ship for another 2 1/2 weeks. But there is a happy ending, they arrived in good condition and fit just as my cardboard template predicted they would. I have test fit one wheel with a 225/75R 16 and the fit is just what I wanted. Will have the rest of the wheels mounted this week and will be happy to see my three piece split wheels and the rock hard bias ply truck tires the prior owner mounted on them go to wheel and tire heaven. Btw New tires and wheels are 50 pounds lighter per tire and wheel than the originals.

Like you I intended to mount my original hubcaps but that is looking very doubtful. The “pitch“ of the inner rims from wheel Vintiques are more shallow than original 17 inch wheels which means the original hubcaps will not seat properly. In order to accommodate that, I cut eight slices into the inner rim of each of the hubcaps with an angle grinder allowing them to flex inward and adapt to the new steel wheels. The only problem is The clips used to hold on the hubcaps are approximately three eights inch too short and will not engage with the rim of the hubcap. The clips you can order from Jim Carter are even shorter than the originals. I cold chiseled off the clips from the original rims that are definitely longer than the ones you can order online thinking they would work but even the originals are too short. They will require a custom made spacer to fit underneath the clip in order to raise it to the proper height. Right now I’m debating whether that is worth it! My 3600 is an original sunbaked specimen from New Mexico that’s rocksolid all over but a nice toasty brown with its share of bumps and dings from a lifetime working on a horse farm. It doesn’t look too bad without any hubcaps! Good luck with the project if you find a way to fit the hubcaps let me know I am a true shade tree mechanic so I may have missed an easy solution. Wouldn’t be the first time.

TGill #1360807 Mon May 18 2020 02:07 AM
T
TGill Offline OP
Tbone
TKM thanks for some very helpful and discouraging information. I've looked for 8 lug 17" wheels with no luck. I've checked JEGS and Coker; even gone to my local Discount Tires Store and have these guys researching. Over this weekend, I went directly to Wheel Vintique and they offer a 16x8 rim ... assume same as what you order and finally received. You may have greased the skids for me.. Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow and start my journey of getting these ordered. The discouraging part is lack of ability to attach the original hub caps. My truck is original and the old hub caps with "Chevrolet" is a desired look I want to retain. Hope one of our Stovebolt members has solved this issue and has a workable solution. TKM, I assume your switch was to fit-up the front disc brake conversion kit? I'm curious how that works out and the braking difference you'll experience. As we all know, the original drum brake system is a work of art ... need to anticipate stops in advance to gracefully slow and stop. Any immediate or emergency stops lock-up the wheels and hold-on in hopes you avoid anything in front of you. Again, thanks for sharing your experience. Much appreciated. I'll let you know if I find a solution for the hub cap attachment.

TGill #1360837 Mon May 18 2020 01:21 PM
T
TKM Offline
New Guy
Tgill, although a disc brake conversion is in my future plans, I have not researched fit issues — I have been “presuming” that because the backspace on my new wheels provides even more clearance than the original wheels there won’t be a problem. But we all know the dangers of presuming smile Disc brake project is on next winter’s agenda, but you are so right about the original drums and the need to anticipate everything ! I have read that disc brake conversion on a 49 requires foregoing a power booster, which is OK by me as long as manual disc performance is comparable, and again, I have read on these pages that manual disc brakes are a HUGE difference. With more stopping power I will feel more confident in taking some longer trips.

One idea I have for fitting the original hubcaps is to fasten the clips to the “side” of the inner wheel (the indented area near the bolt holes, don’t know what the official name is for that part of the wheel) instead of on the flat surface between the bolt holes. This would eliminate the need for a shim under the clip. May be unorthodox, but also might work ! Btw, I intended to pop rivet the clips on, saw a thread saying it works well.

Hope things work out at wheel Vintiques, sounds like they will. I ordered 16X6 rims, my template said 16X8 would also work but clearance, especially on the inner side of rear wheels at full spring deflection looked doubtful. On the other hand, I won’t be carrying enough weight to ever cause that condition. So, I guess I was being extra conservative in ordering the 16X6. 16X8s should be fine but double check clearance with planned tire size. There are several tire size conversion charts on line so you can make an exact cardboard template with all dimensions. Good luck, I will look for your answer to the hubcap issue.

TKM #1367500 Thu Jul 02 2020 11:03 PM
T
TGill Offline OP
Tbone
TKM-
I received my 16x8 wheels from Vintique. They were a bit flaky, but persistence paid-off. I need to size-up tires and keep an eye towards clearance. Hoping I don't have a problem. When shopping for the 8 log wheels I couldn't find 16x6 or 16x8 wheels. I'll let you know how they fit.

On hub caps, I haven't tackled this yet. I'd love to hear from anyone who has changed from the original 15" wheels and successfully fitted-up the original Chevrolet hub caps to 16" wheels. If I don't hear back from anyone successfully making this change, I'll take to my machine shop friend and start mocking-up ways to attached clips to new wheel to fit the original hub caps. Stay tuned. Thanks!

TGill #1367687 Sat Jul 04 2020 12:21 PM
W
Shop Shark
PICS!!

'66 c10 rust bucket, 350 nv4500 stock bellhousing, '85 c30 front suspension, h072 rear axle with 3/4 ton rear coil springs
'67 cj5 225 oddfire motor, time for disc brake conversion, offset rear dana 44, intermediate pedals and steering upgrade
'48 3804 frame and bed + '52 6400 cab and front clip + 4bt, need to put them together
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop