The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 226 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,060
Posts961,569
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for thoughts/suggestions on chassis rust prevention
#1367253 Wed Jul 01 2020 02:00 AM
A
Adamg Offline OP
New Guy
I’m looking to formulate a plan on how I want to keep rust at bay when I get in to working on my 54. As much as I would love to do a full on resto on it my goal at this point is to get the truck running, on the road and enjoying it. Maybe a few years down the road I’ll decide to do the full resto but I might be enjoying it so much I won’t want to. Haha. So the plan on my truck is to basically update the drivetrain, update the braking and steering also the electricals. In doing this I know the front clip and box will be off the truck. Maybe even the cab at some point. The trucks been sitting for a number of years and there is the typical rust of sitting and being 66 years old. I’m planning on cleaning the frame of loose rust and I would like to seal it at that point. I may also do the inner fenders and basically anything bottom side.

My question is what are the thoughts on the rust converters or treatments for these parts? I’ve read of several products with various application processes. I may do a slight wire wheel to these rusty areas on the truck but I’m not taking it down to bare metal or sand blasting all the parts.

I’ve looked at the POR 15 system which looks good but is a process and prep is key. Also it must be top coated due to the lack of UV protection.

A similar product is Eastwood’s rust converter. Doesn’t look to be as much as a process and doesn’t need to be top coated like the POR.

I’ve looked at Corraseal also. Seems to be decent reviews and not as many steps as the POR.

I also read a recent post on using an epoxy primer. That seams to be good on a fairly bare metal surface.

I’m planning on rolling or painting these pieces that I’m applying the converter on not spraying. This is more because of the steps I’ll be doing it in. And the fact that these areas aren’t “seen” areas. Any thoughts on products/processes that you have used and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Adam

Adam
Re: Looking for thoughts/suggestions on chassis rust prevention
Adamg #1367280 Wed Jul 01 2020 06:31 AM
R
Shop Shark
I'm building a '50 3100...nice rat rod, poor street rod. I had the frame sandblasted without removing the cab. I've applied, paint brush, the product Chassis Saver. I really like it. It acts as if it's a ceramic finish and maybe that's how they market it...not sure.
I'm going to have to wire brush areas under the cab that the blaster couldn't get to when the original engine and tranny were still in. Not a big problem...just a little surface rust.
If you're going to use a rust inhibitor product, I would suggest that you at least get the areas covered that you may not be able to get to once you start your renovations. You can always come back and finish it. Go enjoy it!

Adamg #1367301 Wed Jul 01 2020 01:55 PM
D
Shop Shark
I've used different brands of rust converter over the years and even with multiple coats have found that it doesn't last unless top coated with a good paint. Just my $.02 you can take for what it's worth. Of course nothing beats mostly bare metal and a good coat of epoxy primer.

38 Chevy 1/2 ton being resto-moded
65 AC Cobra replica
USAF vet
Adamg #1367444 Thu Jul 02 2020 01:37 PM
J
Shop Shark
You can buy a paint called X-O Rust at True Value hardware. It is water based enamel, goes on in a rather thick coat with a brush, and can be painted over rusted metal (as long as dust has been removed). Decent stuff, doesn't cost a lot and really easy to apply & clean up brushes and your hands. Resistant to salt, also. If you apply a second coat, I think you have to wait 24 hours. POR...very thin, get it on your hands and wear it for weeks. There are better products which aren't overmarketed and overpriced.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Adamg #1367486 Thu Jul 02 2020 07:52 PM
Boltergeist
Please please please save yourself a lot of restless nights and regret later for not taking a little more time on the restoration work your about to do. With only the cab remaining it is fairly easy to raise it up and do the COMPLETE chassis.

By all means get it sand blasted. If you can't take it to one then look for a guy who does mobile blasting in your area. Best money you will ever spend on your ride.......you can choose what you want to "paint" it with. I personally prefer the POR15 just remember to wear gloves and disposable clothes!! Use throw away brushes and forget it. The POR 15 will last and if not exposed to sunlight does NOT need painting. After 7 years my panel still looks great.

Use what you like but also be aware to make sure you grind it off or what ever it takes to make sure you get good grounds.
The POR 15 is some dang tuff stuff.

A couple years from now you'll thank me!!! Do it once, do it right.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #1367489 Thu Jul 02 2020 08:16 PM
ace skiver
ditto on Achipmunk's post/opinions.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Adamg #1367505 Thu Jul 02 2020 11:31 PM
R
New Guy
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...2D0218A-881F-4F50-8594-D1C7D2FEAA33.jpeg[/img]I have used a product called RUSFRE. I plan to use it on my 54 as I get it ready for the road. My frame, bottom and wheel wells of my truck are surface rusted with no paint, just some mud. It sprays on, and I have a few home made wand/tips to get into panels and crevices. I have used it over the years on 3 of my daily drives, one a second application 5 years after. Beware though this goes on like a waxy oil. It doesn’t drip off but if you touched it in the first 3 weeks you’ll get black finger tips. Nobody I ever recommend this stuff to has gone ahead and used it, but I think it is great as a rust stopper.

Adamg #1367510 Fri Jul 03 2020 12:18 AM
A
Adamg Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks guys for the comments so far. It may come to the point of sandblasting the frame we’ll see. I restore vintage large Woodworking equipment also, Oliver Machinery. No relation to tractors or typewriters. They were in Grand Rapids Michigan for almost 90 years. Their equipment was very popular in pattern shops, Government contracts and schools. I normally do a full on restore with all those pieces. This consists of stripping paint and rust, laying down body filler to fill the cast components, shining up all machined surfaces, bearings, electrical and of course spraying primers/sealers/top coats and than assembling. I was hoping to put the brakes on, no pun intended, on basically tearing this truck down like I do the Woodworking machines. I really do want to get it on the road next year. I don’t have the funds at this point to do a full on resto on this truck. But if it makes sense to do certain procedures now I will. Thanks again for the thoughts and it looks like I have some more researching to do.

Adam

Adam
Adamg #1367599 Fri Jul 03 2020 06:53 PM
B
General Purpose
I understand your desire to get it on the road. You are not restoring and maybe never will. Here is the plan for that. I am going by what your general goal is for right now.

1. Wire wheel and/or needle.
2. Get some cans of this. [walmart.com]
3. Then spray with rustoleum black enamel cans.
4. This will be adequate and touch ups are easier.
5. Rattle can is the way to go here. Cheap, easy.
6. Stay off salty roads.
7. If areas start to re-rust, do 1 thru 3 in those areas.
8. Nothing wrong with this method and it can be sandblasted off if you ever decide to upgrade.
9. Regular undercoat is hell to remove.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop