The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (2ManyTrucks, agedhorse, North of 40, Eureka Jim, tomctomc), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,060
Posts961,569
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Crate Motor Advice needed
#1367557 Fri Jul 03 2020 11:55 AM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
A couple of us are helping a neighbor (at the new Stovebolt HQ location) with his 1969 C-10. The plan is to remove the dead 305 and replace it with a 350. The 305 is locked up, even after two months of soaking all cylinders with a trans fluid and acetone mix. We are moving on.

So ... I have little experience with this era truck and know even less about crate motors, especially V-8's. Ultimate end state is just a good, reliable driver -- no performance or crazy other stuff. Plain, simple and reliable.

I started looking on line at Jeg's and other places and there is a dizzying array of choices that quickly made my brain hurt (not having much of one to start with AND being pretty much an inline 6 guy)...

Drop in and go would be ideal -- meaning that piecing it together (heads here, intakes there, carb somewhere else) is less than optimal as I do not know what to get for a particular short block.

What should we be looking at? What recommendations?

Will the 305 bell housing work? or are we going to have to switch that out to keep the original 3-speed in place? What other 305 stuff will we need to retain?

We're hopefully pulling the 305 this afternoon, should any of the local gang be interested in spending a very hot, very humid SoMD afternoon in an un air-conditioned shop with Sweet and I (the original ODSS OR at the farm formerly known as "Friendship Forest").

Thanks,
John

John
"There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes..."

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: Crate Motor Advice needed
John Milliman #1367558 Fri Jul 03 2020 12:15 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
John, you might check in with your parts stores. Most if not all have crate engines available. This would give you the ability to deal face to face if problems arise. 🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

John Milliman #1367561 Fri Jul 03 2020 12:44 PM
E
Shop Shark
Make sure to get the specs on the crate engine with exactly what parts are included-ex. manifolds, intake, water pump, alt, flywheel, distr., etc., bellhousing will bolt right up.

LS engines have different parts.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
John Milliman #1367568 Fri Jul 03 2020 02:38 PM
H
Boltergeist
Check with a local parts store (NAPA would be a good idea) and ask for a "long engine". That's a remanufactured block- - - -new or reground crankshaft, pistons, bearings, rings, cam, lifters, etc., plus a set of reconditioned cylinder heads. It should come assembled, valves adjusted, etc, and only require swapping sheet metal parts like valve covers, oil pan, etc. from the old engine. Swap the intake and exhaust manifolds, distributor, water pump, alternator, starter, etc. from the original engine, or upgrade to rebuilt accessories if you want to start with all the components with the same mileage. You can either go with the original 305 displacement (preferred) or "upgrade" to a 350 and create a Pandora's box of problems with incorrect carburetor and distributor advance curve calibration, radiator too small, etc. Your choice- - - - - I'd prefer to do it right the first time and replace the 305 with another one just like it.

Just my 10 cents' worth- - - - -2 cents adjusted for inflation!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
John Milliman #1367574 Fri Jul 03 2020 03:51 PM
R
Shop Shark
I believe that unless someone changed it out previously that the original engine would have been a 307 in a 69 truck.
I have installed numerous crate engines from Jegs, some with aftermarket manifolds and carburetors and others just by transferring over the existing components. The most common 350 crate engine is the 195 HP version, they are the lowest price and perform well.
I installed one in a 76 Nova to replace a 305. It ran great with the stock Rochester 2bl carb and even passed smog.
The owner wanted to build the car for his son to drive to HS. It actually survived two sons which was a feat in itself.
Fred

John Milliman #1367582 Fri Jul 03 2020 04:27 PM
W
Master Gabster
The GM Goodwrench replacement engines are the only way to go. They are all new parts. I have installed hundreds of them with pratically no problems. Like 56trk says, The standard basic 350 is all you need .
It is a drop in replacement for almost any small block up to 85.
It seems Jegs has the best price w/free shipping. GM dealers can supply them. There is no set price. Some dealers are big in them & have a good price while the smaller dealers buy from them.
These so called "reman" engines can get you in a lot of trouble. One brand almost put me out of business at one time with all the come backs.

George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

John Milliman #1367587 Fri Jul 03 2020 05:20 PM
C
Shop Shark
John,
Your friend may want to do a search on a "Turn Key" crate engine. These are complete right down to the air cleaner and are very practical for "one timers". They run about $800 more than a long block but save time, tempers, skinned knuckles, body blood supply, much profanity and even some marriages. The Chevrolet Division at GM really had their heads on straight from 1963 on; the 4cyl, I6, small block and big block all have the same bell housing pattern so all transmissions work. Now you can even buy a turn key hot rod engine for a paltry 22k.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/ctCZVBdr/Roush-serpentine-drive-001.jpg[/img] [postimg.cc]

Evan
John Milliman #1367598 Fri Jul 03 2020 06:50 PM
T
Shop Shark
The 305 small block V8 was not available in 69. So if it’s a v8 it’s a transplant. There was a “big block” 305 V6 in that era.... is your freinds a V6 or V8?

That is important to know because if it’s a v8, all the motor mounts will align and you can bolt on the accessories such as alternator, starter, power steering pump, etc easily. If it’s a V6, then that stuff won’t swap over easily.

John Milliman #1367609 Fri Jul 03 2020 08:10 PM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy John, up here the GM dealers used to have new engines called Targetmasters, around $2000.00-$2500.00, now they sell all manner if engines with all different levels of performance. As long as you stay with the small block Chevy engine all the accessories should transfer.

3B #1367628 Fri Jul 03 2020 11:20 PM
B
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by 3B
Hy John, up here the GM dealers used to have new engines called Targetmasters.

G.M. hasn't used the Targetmaster name in years, have been sold under the Goodwrench name for years.
Have many stickers on my toolboxes, some from early '80's when I started are Targetmaster.

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 235 T5 3.73 dana 44
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
G.M dealer tech since 1980 & counting
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop