The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 186 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,951
Posts960,604
Members43,521
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
help needed, pls (crank pulley question)
#1367567 Fri Jul 03 2020 02:31 PM
P
Wrench Fetcher
ARGH!!!

Just got my 350 in my panel truck yesterday, and the lower pulley is making contact with the OEM crossmember!!

The engine is mounted to a later year xmember that is welded in behind the oem one. The current crank pulley is aftermarket (came with the engine) and is 7.75" in diameter. The one that was on the prior engine that was in the truck looks like it may have been less than 7". The current engine is from a 1977 Camaro, which I think would also have had a pulley smaller than 7" in diameter.

I have seen underdrive pulleys that are 5.4" and would be a great fix, and I'm only running the alternator and water pump from this pulley, but I'm reading that ppl have light dimming issues, higher engine temps, etc. Does anyone have either any recommendations, or, a crank pulley lying around that's 7" or less from a SBC with long water pump?

Attached Files
20200702_185137.jpg (157.93 KB, 59 downloads)

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Re: help needed, pls (crank pulley question)
pan3lman #1367569 Fri Jul 03 2020 03:25 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Cut off wheel and some crossmember modifications would solve your problem w/o weakening anything since you have a new crossmember welded in.šŸ› 

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Justhorsenround #1367580 Fri Jul 03 2020 04:16 PM
P
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Cut off wheel and some crossmember modifications would solve your problem w/o weakening anything since you have a new crossmember welded in.šŸ› 
Thanks! Yep, I had considered it, but considering how good of condition the current frame is in (in addition to it still having its original solid axle), I didn't want to just go chopping it up.

pan3lman #1367585 Fri Jul 03 2020 04:57 PM
H
Boltergeist
Put a couple of 3/8" aluminum plates between the motor mount brackets and the engine block. All it takes is a Sawzall and a drill press to make a couple of triangular plates that duplicate the 3-bolt pattern on the side of the block and some slightly longer bolts. It will raise the balancer pulley enough to clear the frame without any metal butchering and the motor mounts will compensate for the slight change in crankshaft angle without causing any problems.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1367586 Fri Jul 03 2020 05:04 PM
P
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Put a couple of 3/8" aluminum plates between the motor mount brackets and the engine block. All it takes is a Sawzall and a drill press to make a couple of triangular plates that duplicate the 3-bolt pattern on the side of the block and some slightly longer bolts. It will raise the balancer pulley enough to clear the frame without any metal butchering and the motor mounts will compensate for the slight change in crankshaft angle without causing any problems.
Jerry
Thanks for the quick reply, Jerry- I had kicked that idea around as well, but what I have finally decided to do is order another pulley. The current pulley is 7.75", and the new pulley that's coming is 6.6", so that should give me over .5" clearance from that crossmember. I figured that was, ultimately, the "right" thing to do. Now I just have to wait on Summit, but thankfully, that wait usually isn't too long here. smile

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop