The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (Forty9, greenie-reddy, Herman, glenns towing, 5 Window 9434, 1 invisible), 211 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,938
Posts960,527
Members43,519
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: 62 1,5 ton alternator.
Grizzlynaut #1367042 Mon Jun 29 2020 09:32 PM
S
Shop Shark
I would beware of an electronic import, they are out there and look the same as the mechanicals except that they do not have the wire wound resistors on the bottom outside.

Also the center relay is the current limiter, it can be adjusted, do not exceed the rating of the gen.

The outboard relay with the knob is the voltage regulator, that is where the voltage is adjusted. Some do not have a knob, you have to very slightly bend the tab that holds the spring to adjust.

Last edited by sweepleader; Tue Jun 30 2020 11:31 AM.

Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
Grizzlynaut #1367108 Tue Jun 30 2020 04:54 AM
G
Wrench Fetcher
Darn, so the one I found in the glove compartment probably won't work? It's not a delco. Not sure what brand it is (sticker is torn). It says 12v (did think to check the ground) , has the same bolt pattern and is super shinny inside.

I'm also researching an alternator. I of course don't want to over do it on the amps, how many amps did these generators put out?

The idiot savant
Grizzlynaut #1367109 Tue Jun 30 2020 04:57 AM
G
Wrench Fetcher
Oh and glad you're still with us Jerry!

The idiot savant
Grizzlynaut #1367110 Tue Jun 30 2020 05:04 AM
H
Boltergeist
If the regulator you found looks like it's not damaged, go ahead and try to use it. Just be aware that most of the aftermarket replacements (then and now) don't measure up to the quality of an original equipment Delco unit. I'd rather have a good condition used Delco regulator than a brand new no-name item. At least I know I can service and adjust a Delco- - - -I've been doing it for close to 60 years.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Grizzlynaut #1367273 Wed Jul 01 2020 03:35 AM
G
Wrench Fetcher
I totally get what you mean. Some things are unbeatable especially when you know them through and through. But I have this here and now, and I got to clear out of my work shop by the weekend (pandemic taking it's toll) so I'll use it.

My best guess is the previous owner got it to replace the cooked Delco,. I thought it was junk because it was lying with a nest of old lighting tubes and a busted coil. (I also clearly had no clue what it was) I would ask him but he sadly passed away. Which is how I got this beast in the first place. Just glad I didn't toss it with the rest. Oh wel fingers crossed. If it doesn't work I have a spare 60 amp alternator I barrowed and pal who is a welding guru to slap me together a bracket.

The idiot savant
Grizzlynaut #1367278 Wed Jul 01 2020 04:09 AM
H
Boltergeist
One way you can tilt the odds in your favor- - - - -open up the "unknown" regulator before you install it, and give all three sets of points a good scrubbing with a piece of clean index card stock, or maybe a business card. DO NOT use a file or even a piece of fine sandpaper to burnish them- - - - -regulator points open and close with a slight wiping action which supposedly makes them "self-cleaning", and even microscopic scratches can make them stick. Good luck!
Jerry

Grizzlynaut #1367405 Thu Jul 02 2020 03:06 AM
G
Wrench Fetcher
Will do! They looked really clean. But I will just to be certain.

The idiot savant
Grizzlynaut #1367459 Thu Jul 02 2020 03:01 PM
H
Boltergeist
The two coils with the points spring loaded in the closed position are the current and voltage regulators. The one in the middle with the heavy windings controls maximum current, which is usually set at 25-35 amps, depending on the capacity of the generator. Some commercial vehicles like yours might have been equipped with a 45 amp unit because of multiple short trips and repeated engine starts. A 45 amp generator will have ball bearings on both ends instead of a bushing in the rear end frame. The far right coil regulates voltage, and has much smaller windings. The one on the left with the "normally open" points is the cutout relay. It disconnects the battery from the generator when the engine stops. On startup, when the generator voltage gets higher than the battery voltage, the cutout snaps shut and stays there until the voltage drops on shutdown. If it sticks, the battery discharges itself through the regulator and generator, and usually fries both of them in the process. Never, ever, push the cutout points closed when the engine isn't running! They will stick closed and overheat and burn the contacts in a matter of seconds. Opening either the voltage or current regulator points manually will shut off the generator output and cause the cutout to snap open- - - -that's how I check for normal operation while adjusting a regulator. It's OK to run the engine with the regulator cover removed- - - -just be careful not to short anything out as you reinstall the cover.

Regulators are pretty primitive units, but millions of them worked well for several decades. Now, there's a lot more regulators out there than us old geezers who remember how to work on them!
Jerry

Grizzlynaut #1367532 Fri Jul 03 2020 02:35 AM
G
Wrench Fetcher
Also what size battery would you guys recommend? The guy who sold it to me gave me a dieing one he still had.

The idiot savant
Grizzlynaut #1367549 Fri Jul 03 2020 04:23 AM
H
Boltergeist
How big is the battery box? Measure it, and install whatever 12v battery that fits. Depending on the length of the cables, use either #4 or #2 cable. Bigger is always better where battery cables are concerned.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop