The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (D B Cooper, 51sub, 3B, Devilsix, 49 3100, 1 invisible), 116 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,453
Posts965,458
Members43,679
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: *Battery Charger*
olezippi #1366751 Sun Jun 28 2020 01:24 AM
S
Shop Shark
I was looking for a “real” battery charger last year after having to trash 3 of the Sears Dihard trickle chargers that stopped working within a year. Picked this up at Tractor Supply and have been pleased with it. It’s built old school and is well made.

Attached Files
7EAF49CC-8A27-44A3-95BB-5B9F04515720.jpeg (213.85 KB, 139 downloads)

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
olezippi #1366802 Sun Jun 28 2020 12:50 PM
P
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
Personally, I would keep them separate. I have the “Battery Tenders” to keep my unattended battery’s from going belly up and I have a 50-10-2 amp charger for general charging and boosting. The 50 amp boost has saved me countless times. I usually charge for 10-20 minutes on 10 amps, then switch it 50 amps to crank her over. The 50 amp boost is only good for about 15-20 seconds of cranking before you hit its duty cycle.

I have a Sears brand for thirty years, still going but its a manual charger, meaning it needs to be attended or you can cook your battery, if you don’t keep an eye on it. Three years ago, I bought a HF 50-10-2 automatic charger that I bought on sale for for thirty dollars. Only time will tell if it was a good buy.

One more thing about automatic chargers. They will not charge a totally dead battery. Their circuit board needs to sense voltage from the battery in order to kick on their charging circuit. Thats why I keep my old Sears manual charger.

Just my thoughts!

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
olezippi #1367219 Tue Jun 30 2020 10:07 PM
Y
yar Offline
Shop Shark
"My old charger went belly up so I'm in the market for a new one."

Olezippi,

When my battery charger went belly up about 10 years ago I did a little online research and found that a failed diode is often the culprit and I found a video showing exactly how to replace the diode. So I got an inexpensive bag of 3 alternator diodes on Ebay and installed one of them. That fixed the battery charger for way less than the sales tax alone on a new one, and the job took only a few minutes. That old battery charger is a really nice made in USA tool that was definitely worth saving. It's still going strong too.

Ray W

Ray
olezippi #1367328 Wed Jul 01 2020 05:00 PM
O
Shop Shark
Thanks for the info guys. I think it was time anyway. I want something that I don't have to check on. Just connect it and let it do it's thing.

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
olezippi #1367414 Thu Jul 02 2020 03:45 AM
K
Shop Shark
I had a battery tender on my trailer battery
And I was on vacation it had been the on for 1 month
And it blow up while I was gone.
But I been using battery tenders for years.

olezippi #1368530 Fri Jul 10 2020 05:01 PM
O
Shop Shark

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Veteran of the USAF
olezippi #1368577 Fri Jul 10 2020 09:30 PM
H
Boltergeist
Battery manufacturers listen to their customers and supply them with what they demand. About 30 years ago, a lot of customers said "I.'m too lazy to pull the caps off battery cells occasionally and check the electrolyte level and add water if necessary". The battery makers responded by developing "maintenance-free" batteries with sealed cell groups. They didn't work as well, or last as long as conventional batteries, but they were OK for most purposes. As long as a battery gets "exercised" occasionally, discharged about 25% or less and recharged, it will last longer and give better service than one that sits for weeks or months at a time without doing what it was designed to do- - - -provide a quick surge of starting current, and then get recharged over several minutes, or up to a few hours of vehicle operation before the next shutdown and restart. Extremes of operation at either end of the discharge/recharge envelope shorten battery life and/or require a different charging system or a "maintainer" to substitute for normal operation.

Recharging a low or dead battery and "maintaining" one that sits idle for extended periods requires different equipment. Trying to multi-task where battery charging is concerned doesn't accomplish either job as well as it could be done with dedicated equipment for both tasks. Most battery users don't know (or care) what's actually going on inside a battery- - - -they just want the thing to work right every rime, with no preventive maintenance whatsoever!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
olezippi #1371787 Sun Aug 02 2020 02:58 PM
ace skiver
This thread caused me to look for a better Battery Tender for my 6v trucks - they have several year old Optima AGM Batteries. These work best with AGM [crownbattery.com] battery chargers/maintainers.

Optima batteries are excellent batteries that need special charging/maintaining techniques/equipment.

The Battery Tender suggestion above is for lead-acid sealed/unsealed batteries (I already have a old 6v/12v Lead-Acid Battery Tender). It is an excellent device.

That caused me to search for a 4 AMP Battery Tender 6v/12v AGM/Lithium/Lead-acid charger and maintainer.

Here is the best priced 4 AMP Battery Charger/Maintainer "Battery Tender" that I could find. [walmart.com] - (it includes a 6 foot power cord and 5 foot battery cables)

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop