The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
22 members (Achipmunk, bigscooter, 52Carl, 3B, Bill Trotter, 4 invisible), 203 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,602
Posts966,692
Members43,711
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Bring your best
dhjmd #1366710 Sat Jun 27 2020 07:51 PM
B
General Purpose
Phil, testing on the ignition switch shown, if it is the two position, has shown that all are on and all are off, no matter how you wire it. Maybe someone can confirm that.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

dhjmd #1366747 Sun Jun 28 2020 01:06 AM
P
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
It’s the off position that I was thinking about. I haven’t tested the switch myself to confirm either way. I know you (bartamos) understood what I meant, but for the sake of the OP, I will explain my prior post.

We know, with the ignition switch in the “On” position, all three terminals are electrically connected. My questIon is, when the switch is in the “Off” position, are all three terminals isolated from each other? If two of the terminals are still electrically connected (in the “Off” position), then it could be easily be wired that turning the switch to the “Off” position would not disconnect power to the coil. Thus the drain on the battery.

If the switch in the “off” position does isolate all three terminals as you say, then my point is moot.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
dhjmd #1366764 Sun Jun 28 2020 01:52 AM
B
General Purpose
thumbs_up

dhjmd #1367085 Tue Jun 30 2020 02:47 AM
D
dhjmd Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thx again guys! Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to work on that part of the truck this weekend 😁 If the ignition was wired as shown in my original posting photo, and there was never a key in the ignition, could that still be an issue?

dhjmd #1367087 Tue Jun 30 2020 02:50 AM
B
General Purpose
Don't understand the question. An issue with what? Does the switch turn or not? Is it a two position? (on/off)

dhjmd #1367092 Tue Jun 30 2020 03:00 AM
D
dhjmd Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yep the switch turns, but I never did it with the battery installed 😂.

I originally installed the battery, checked out the basic lighting where I observed the issues in the original post. I was just asking if the ignition switch was wired as shown in my original photo, could that have been the cause of the drained battery?

dhjmd #1367093 Tue Jun 30 2020 03:07 AM
B
General Purpose
If the other end of the wires went to the correct place and the switch was off, that would not drain the battery. As I posted, it does not matter which wire goes to which terminal on the switch. Trying to answer without being misinterpreted. Does that answer?
The sticking voltage regulator contact could cause it or other ignition malfunctions sticking.

Did you see the post that I linked, battery draw test??????

dhjmd #1367210 Tue Jun 30 2020 08:34 PM
D
dhjmd Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yep, that answers the question - thank you! I just need to get back to the truck and do some investigating. I spent the weekend working on toolboxes and rear fenders wink I saw and reviewed the post about finding battery draw, again, just have to get some time to look more deeply into.

Lightholder's Dad #1367604 Fri Jul 03 2020 07:45 PM
D
dhjmd Offline OP
Shop Shark
So with my multimeter on 2000k ohms, i touch the black lead to my negative battery cable and the red lead to the positive battery cable. The number jumps wround a bit and quickly settles on "1"?

I also checked out the link from bartamos to try and determine where the draw may be coming from but it has you tapping into fuses and the only two on my truck are for the tail and stop lights (as original)?

dhjmd #1367608 Fri Jul 03 2020 08:01 PM
B
General Purpose
You are set WAY TOO high. You need to read milli-amps. 1 usually mean "out of range". I only gave the link for the negative battery cable test to find parasitic drain (small milli-amp readings) not for fuse tests.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop