The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (dands, 3B, J Lucas, dougs, CATMAN, buoymaker), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,572
Posts957,447
Members43,431
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1966 Chevy C10 250 Electric Fuel Pump
#1367155 Tue Jun 30 2020 04:17 PM
T
Tim-o Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Some time ago I replaced my stock gas tank with the tank mounted in the back of the frame near the rear bumper. Now, after the truck sits a few days, it takes a while to start because fuel drains back to the tank. I've thought about an electric fuel pump and am not sure what pressure is appropriate. Also, I was wondering if there was some form of back flow prevention device that could be installed. Your comments and thoughts please about sizing the appropriate electric fuel pump for a carburated engine. Thanks - Tim-o

Re: 1966 Chevy C10 250 Electric Fuel Pump
Tim-o #1367162 Tue Jun 30 2020 04:59 PM
L
Shop Shark
Tim,
I had a 250 engine in my 1963 C10. Factory tank too. For some reason the carb would be starved for fuel at highway speeds after 10 minutes of driving. A new electric fuel pump from eBay cured the problem.
You want a simple electric pump that delivers 4-6 psi. No return line is required. If the carb float is set properly and working then the pump will not flood the carb or intake with fuel.
I hooked mine up so it bypasses the mechanical pump.

If you turn the pump on manually then make sure it doesn’t stay running when the engine is off. It’s possible to flood the crankcase with fuel if the carb float isn’t working properly and THAT’S DANGEROUS. The same risk can occur if the pump turns on via the ignition switch. If the engine stalls, the fuel pump could continue pumping fuel past a faulty float valve and flood the crankcase with fuel.

I hooked mine up to a separate switch on the dash. Worked fine. Cheap pumps are noisy. Spend your money wisely.

Last edited by Lugnutz; Tue Jun 30 2020 05:46 PM.
Tim-o #1367174 Tue Jun 30 2020 05:57 PM
T
Tim-o Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks for the great advice. I was thinking about a Holley pump. The one I saw indicated it was 3 - 7 PSI. It's interesting that you used a separate switch. I envisioned switched by the ignition, but I could see if you had the ignition switch on without the truck running, flooding could occur. I could also see, at my advanced age... that I could leave a separate switch on.. and cause the same issue. Did you use a block off plate to remove the old mechanical pump?

Tim-o #1367183 Tue Jun 30 2020 06:23 PM
C
Shop Shark
If you do a search on "electric fuel pump run through oil pressure switch" you will get a number of hits. Usually in the 20-40 dollar range. We wire all of ours this way so if oil pressure drops to zero for any reason the pump shuts off.

Evan
Tim-o #1367382 Wed Jul 01 2020 11:36 PM
L
Shop Shark
Tim,
Coilover has given great advice about using an oil pressure switch to control the fuel pump.
My fuel pump stayed in the engine but didn’t do anything. I bought a blocker plate but never used it. Partly because it still worked and if the electric pump failed I could swap lines back to the mechanical, but I just couldn’t go at highway speeds.

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop