The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (51sub, Borbas, 55 SHAKER, 51bowtie, buoymaker, 2 invisible), 144 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,527
Posts966,102
Members43,692
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: HEI swap problems
old49joe #1365788 Sun Jun 21 2020 02:36 AM
B
General Purpose
Jerry, I'm not promoting Pertronix. You mentioned a DIY version. Then you said no parts for Pertronix at FLAPS. That's all I commented about. I have studied Pertronix complaints and seen some complaints on Stovebolt. Most are user error or early bugs.

There are plenty of trustworthy members on here you have used Pertronix for a long time. I am in favor of HEI. The only thing I am not in line with is going with Pertronix just to keep a certain look under the hood. I would probably go with a Langdon distributor for a 235 because it's a GM.

Your link is hard to find. If it does not turn blue, we have to try and paste it. Not sure what it is. Ignition module I think.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

old49joe #1365790 Sun Jun 21 2020 03:17 AM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
We've had a Pertronix kit in our 1946 International M5-H6 Red Diamond for over 25 years now. Fires up every time we ask it to.

Not to mention, the company is one city over from where we sit.

old49joe #1365825 Sun Jun 21 2020 03:40 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Please stay on topic. Thanks.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
old49joe #1365894 Mon Jun 22 2020 12:49 AM
Master Gabster
Why not just buy a small cap HEI distributor with vacuum advance and external coil?

old49joe #1365907 Mon Jun 22 2020 01:48 AM
B
General Purpose
That's kind of what he did and is doing.

bartamos #1366001 Mon Jun 22 2020 11:24 PM
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by bartamos
That's kind of what he did and is doing.
The discussion in this thread is all over the place. There are at least 4 people going in different directions.
I was just trying to reel it in to the simplest solution.

old49joe #1366006 Mon Jun 22 2020 11:47 PM
B
General Purpose
"Joe is going to try new parts from Speedmaster, get a reading on the brown wire vs orange and try the unit again. He will post the results I hope."

Carl, I agree. You probably didn't see this post. I was in outside contact with him due to what you said. That's how I knew he was re-trying.
I was not trying to be a smart AZZ. This time. smile

old49joe #1366828 Sun Jun 28 2020 03:39 PM
O
Wrench Fetcher
I am still waiting on the replacement pickup to get here but it did find the answer to the wiring question. Speedmaster sent a wiring diagram but it was too generic to the 8020 series of distributors so it still didn’t match. Doing some more searching I found on Summit Racing’s site in the customer question and answer section that someone had finally found the correct wiring. For the three wire black red and brown that I have, black goes to coil negative, red goes to coil positive and brown goes to the tachometer. As soon as the replacement magnetic pickup arrives, I’ll swap that out and fix the wiring. I’ll post the results as soon as I have them.

old49joe #1366847 Sun Jun 28 2020 07:33 PM
B
General Purpose
NO NO NO.......I saw that a long time ago. That was NOT answered by Summit or by Speedmaster. It was answered by some guy who may not know what he is talking about or possibly about a different Speedmaster Model. I AM WARNING YOU FOR THE LAST TIME, DO NOT WIRE THIS DISTRIBUTOR UNTIL YOU GET A SPECIFIC ANSWER FROM SPEEDMASTER. YOU HAVE BURNT OUT TWO UNITS ALREADY. Tell them your model. Tell them your wire colors. Ask how to wire. Ask why instructions, AND the picture of it, have a orange wire and your unit has a brown. Ask where each of your wires go. Try to do it by email. Keep the email they send you for your records.

It is true that GM stock distributors, which have two wires, that one is for Tach....and one is for Ignition "ON". We don't know if the guy was mixed up or correct.

Post the diagram they sent you.

What is the part number for the Ecklers distributor you bought? Not the Speed master parts number......the Ecklers part number.

old49joe #1366850 Sun Jun 28 2020 08:12 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Just to provide a little more mud for the muddy water. A certain popular brand of Electronic Ignition only uses 2 wires. One goes to switched power and the other goes to coil positive unless it’s positive ground in which case the second goes to coil negative. As bartamos so aptly put it get specific answers from your supplier or the unit manufacturer for your setup. PERIOD. 🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop