The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (Dusty53, Daryl D, Flatblu4748, 49nut, D B Cooper, dirtball, 1 invisible), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,470
Posts965,635
Members43,681
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hello and Thank You
#1366208 Wed Jun 24 2020 12:03 PM
A
Adamg Offline OP
New Guy
Hello and thank you for allowing me in to join this wealth of knowledge! I just recently picked up a Chevy 54 3100 after a long time of looking off and on. I'm really looking forward to learning more about this truck. The bodies in pretty good shape overall considering, has a more recent paint job that's in ok condition with some scratches and chips, but the original engine is in pieces. My wife was excited for the purchase as well and was looking just as much for one as I was for a truck so that's a bonus. The plan is to get the truck on the road next year. In doing so my wife would like an automatic, which I have no problem with, so to make the truck a little more drive able also I'm looking at putting in a 350/TH350 combo and switch out the rear end also. I'm hoping to find a ZR2 axle for that. I'll also convert the front over to disc and replace the master cylinder. Also thinking about power steering on it. Truck will also be converted over to 12 volt. I'll need to find some vintage style wheels also after the conversion. Other than that I really like the look of these trucks basically stock so little else will be done on it.

One thing that I have found interesting is that my truck is a 54 but has some characteristics of the previous years trucks. The top of the bed sides are slanted not flat. I wondered if a different box was put on at some point which I think would be harder to do if it was a 54 frame. The paint on both the bed and cab have the same paint color under the top coat paint so they've been together for a long time. I also noticed the lugs are 6 bolt instead of 5. The cab and plate in the drivers side door opening are definitely from 54. Truck was made in Baltimore. So I 'm guessing maybe this is an early 54 and they basically were using some of the leftover 53 components. Any information on this is appreciated.

I'll have questions along the way so get ready, haha. I really am excited to learn about this truck and get to get it back on the road. Thanks again for the add!

Adam
Re: Hello and Thank You
Adamg #1366269 Wed Jun 24 2020 06:57 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Welcome to the 'bolt. Please post some pix of your truck. Also, you will get a better variety of answers on specific questions if you ask them in the applicable forums.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Adamg #1366277 Wed Jun 24 2020 07:28 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

The 1/2 ton trucks had 6 lugs for many years after ‘54.

Using the specific forums will get you knowledgeable answers usually very quickly.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Adamg #1366278 Wed Jun 24 2020 07:29 PM
A
Adamg Offline OP
New Guy
Here's a few pics of the truck on the trailer when I got it home. Best pictures I have right now of it. Need to finish up a few things before I can start on it. I'll be sure to post specific questions in the proper areas for the best responses. Thanks!

[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/19947/filename/1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/19948/filename/2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/19946/filename/3.jpg[/img]

Adam
Adamg #1366288 Wed Jun 24 2020 08:44 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Adam, you can post photos directly to your thread. We changed the policy a year ago. No need for links. Instructions are in the left margin of every page.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Adamg #1366290 Wed Jun 24 2020 09:01 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
NICE!!

I notice the Chevy tow vehicle AND the Chevy emblem on the trailer. The complete package. thumbs_up

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Justhorsenround #1366315 Wed Jun 24 2020 10:51 PM
A
Adamg Offline OP
New Guy
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Adam, you can post photos directly to your thread. We changed the policy a year ago. No need for links. Instructions are in the left margin of every page.

Thanks. I’ll be sure to go that route next time. This time I read the post on how to post pictures and went that route. Just trying to learn the ins and outs of this forums procedures. Seems like the several forums I’m part of every one has a different way of doing things. Which is fine. I just need to learn what’s appropriate and proper on each.

Adam
Adamg #1366383 Thu Jun 25 2020 12:09 PM
Shop Shark
Welcome from another Michigander, and make sure to check in to "The Great Lakes Bolters" section.
Where are you located in Michigan?

--Tom

1954 MI #1366438 Thu Jun 25 2020 07:15 PM
A
Adamg Offline OP
New Guy
Originally Posted by 1954 MI
Welcome from another Michigander, and make sure to check in to "The Great Lakes Bolters" section.
Where are you located in Michigan?

--Tom

Hey Tom I’ll be sure to check out that section. Thanks for the heads up. I’m a little bit west of Lansing.

Adam
Adamg #1366471 Fri Jun 26 2020 12:34 AM
S
Shop Shark
Nice '54 Adam. Good luck with your project.

It helps to have your wife on board with your project. My wife is on board and we have had a blast meeting people and talking to people about these old trucks. She has been a big help and we are enjoying the adventure.

As you probably know, the bed is not a '54 and is from an earlier model. With that said if you are not going original and you like it, just go with it.

You will find plenty of help from this site for whatever direction you decide to go.

Phillip

1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." and "To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop