The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (TooMany2count, 65c20kcmo, doyle1950), 259 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,075
Posts961,666
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: One less "Attractive Nuisance"
Hotrod Lincoln #1366046 Tue Jun 23 2020 04:27 AM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I heard they're putting it in "secure storage". I think they should take it up to about 500 ft and punch it off over some big open field. Should put it on TV for everyone to see that it's just a pile of scrap. But the idiots will still find ways to kill themselves.

The guy was an idiot. Just like the "bear whisperer" (Timothy Treadwell) [en.wikipedia.org] who wound up as bear crap.

Last edited by klhansen; Tue Jun 23 2020 04:28 AM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Hotrod Lincoln #1366112 Tue Jun 23 2020 06:04 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
He waited too long to make the decision that he was in over his head and needed to get out.

Hotrod Lincoln #1366171 Wed Jun 24 2020 02:59 AM
Master Gabster
He was a kid. He was not an idiot. He did get in over his head. Literally. The river got high and he could not get out. He ended up eating something he shouldn't have and he died. I almost did that once, but I wasn't stuck behind a ever-raging river, and was able to get medical attention.

Hotrod Lincoln #1366179 Wed Jun 24 2020 03:19 AM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I read somewhere that, if he had just gone a 1/4 mile down stream, he could've utilized an old ferry crossing. Sad story. Perhaps if he had a little McGyver in him. It struck me that he didn't when I read that his car broke down in Arizona, so he abandoned it. Must not have been very broke as the police found it, fixed it, and used it as a decoy car.

Reminds me of the time I was in the middle of nowhere, Mexico. Stuck a little. Before the age of cell phone.

52Carl #1366187 Wed Jun 24 2020 04:08 AM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by 52Carl
He was a kid. He was not an idiot.
OK, Christopher McCandless wasn't an idiot, but he wasn't that smart either.
But Timothy Treadwell, that was a true idiot.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
klhansen #1366304 Wed Jun 24 2020 09:40 PM
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by klhansen
OK, Christopher McCandless wasn't an idiot, but he wasn't that smart either.
But Timothy Treadwell, that was a true idiot.
Timothy Treadwell did prove his father wrong about him.
He did indeed end up, "amounting to s***."
The bear variety... smile

Hotrod Lincoln #1366889 Mon Jun 29 2020 12:20 AM
D
Shop Shark
My first good bicycle (wrong noun), was a 1943 English three speed Surmy Archer. Found the front wheel and frame by the beef slaughter house on a local creek. Found the three speed from a neighbor kid and traded him a Honer Marine Band harmonica, key of "C" that I found in a cess pool, ( hey some Florida people at the time did not have septic tanks). Grandpa cleaned it off with lye and alcohol, he knew everything. Painted the bike with a brush, a 29 cent can of cherry red from McCrorys 5 & dime. Found one wore out tire and used the poor one that was on the three speed rear wheel. It had a front brake. No rear brake (another story), BIG OOPS. No seat, only a seat post another big oops, remarkable that I have eight children. Used my mothers nylon stockings wrapped around front tire. Saved up 42 cents to buy a tube at Pat Allens FireStone store in down town Kissimmee, FL. drove the 46 Plymouth downtown to purchase inner tube on credit , only had 42 cents, Pat gave me credit. Long story short got busted for driving at age nine. Our Police Chief told me to drive the Plymouth home and did not want to see me on the road again. Thought I was in the clear until 5:30 p.m. when Jimmy Whatford, Chief of Police, called during supper. Dad answered and said very loud "he wasn't in the Buick was he?" Two major injuries later and a tetanus shot, five stitches in my head by Grandpa I was walking around pretty darn good except for the bad ankle. Next day played sand lot baseball in our cow pasture from 7:00 to 5:30. Our bases were old Disc blades facing down, had scores back then like 123 to 44. We all hated to hear our mothers hit the pots and pans with a wooden spoon or a triangle to come in for supper. At 71, I'm doing well except for walking good and being shot in my left ear by the teenage neighbor who innocently enough was target practicing on the old neighborhood church when I and his little brother made a fort in the weeds and a stuck my head up at the wrong time. I have what we Cowmen call a notched ear. Good times. Take that and run with it Millennial's. I hope this is not unrespectful to those youngsters that have to have mom and dad buy their first car, we made our first car. Not a pretty site. Oh buy the way I traded the younger kid out of the Harmonica,still plays good! also have a completely restored 3 speed English WWII bicycle, seat, fenders and lacqurer paint. Well built things that roll can last forever. Doc.

Last edited by Justhorsenround; Mon Jun 29 2020 02:05 AM. Reason: Remover colloquial offensive language.

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
Hotrod Lincoln #1366918 Mon Jun 29 2020 02:29 AM
Master Gabster
Dang Doc, not exactly 'attractive nuisance', but a great read nonetheless!
Made me feel absolutely awful about today's youths, in that they are being robbed of the opportunity to live a real childhood full of danger, and to learn the hard way and to enter life right out of the gate, running full speed at 18 years old or younger.
At your age, you would have been the kind of guy that I would have looked up to for the purpose of aspiring to reach the level just under the bar of derelict.
Thank you for the memories.

Hotrod Lincoln #1366946 Mon Jun 29 2020 10:56 AM
W
Master Gabster
Doc, boy does bring back memories. One big one was having b b gun fights with my future brothers-in-law. When I have xrays of my rump they always ask what is that small round spot on the x-ray. I guessing a B B. dang ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Hotrod Lincoln #1366967 Mon Jun 29 2020 01:42 PM
D
Shop Shark
52Carl and WE b OLD, Forgive my War and Piece narrative. I found it to be a great remembrance for me. I started to keep a journal when I was nine, watched Johnny Yuma on TV, played by Nick Adams. At the end of each episode he would set down and write out what happened that day. Looking back on them it is a real miracle any one of us are alive. Some of us are a bit crippled up with scares to go. Would not have changed my life for anything. Also played in a salvage yard. Can any of us believe what was tossed out 40'thru 57' Chevys. And quite a few 34 Chevys and 28 to 32 Furds. We had three roundy round tracks within a 5 mile area. Doc.

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop