The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Organbuilder, Retired71Blazer, tclederman), 172 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,951
Posts960,604
Members43,521
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What axle to build?
#1366028 Tue Jun 23 2020 02:12 AM
B
New Guy
I've read the disc brake threads until my eyes bleed! Kingpins, 1.109" bushings, p30 spindles etc...
I'm looking for opinions on what axle to build for my 46 1 1/2 ton truck. On the passenger side I've got an inch of slop at the tire coming from the kingpins. Can anyone with experience give an idea if that is within spec for badly worn kingpin bushings, or am I worn beyond a "simple" kingpin swap and ream? I will be installing Randy's disc brake kit so I will have a chunk of money invested in the axle. I have a '46 two ton truck I could steal the axle from and build that if my spindle proves unserviceable. Also have a 51 two ton I could steal from if that really was a great idea but I'd rather not. Are the bearings better on the two ton? ( I have ball bearings on the ton and a half) Any big reason to justify swapping the axle? I shortened the wheelbase 30" and installed a pickup truck long bed, this truck will never be used anywhere near capacity. It may be daily driven at times but is mostly a fun truck.
Thanks for any insight! My truck is running and driving now but is a bit squirrely on the roads.

Re: What axle to build?
Brian46Chevy #1366137 Tue Jun 23 2020 10:44 PM
S
Shop Shark
An inch is huge in my book. There is no way to control the alignment with that much movement, thus it is "squirrely".

I have always felt that there should be essentially no play in the pins and just a tiny bit in the bearings. Some toe in takes care of that under normal driving and makes the steering feel solid. Some folks like the bearing tight, I like a very little play.

I have no experience with swapping axles, I have only overhauled to factory specs, someone else will need to help with that.

Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
Brian46Chevy #1366142 Tue Jun 23 2020 11:39 PM
D
Shop Shark
An inch of slop is completely buggered .

It is likely to be a combination of worn out King pin bushings , worn king pins , worn out axle eye ends . worn or poorly adjusted wheel bearings .

All these items must be fixed .

Brian46Chevy #1366321 Wed Jun 24 2020 11:51 PM
B
New Guy
After speaking with a local machinest, it sounds like the axle bores will need to be opened up and sleeved before fixing the kingpins and it will take some time. So I will plan to steal the 2 ton axle and have it repaired and rebuilt. (It has about ¾" of slop) and if timing works out, maybe Randy's disc brake kit will arrive about the time the axle is ready. Maybe

Brian46Chevy #1366355 Thu Jun 25 2020 03:24 AM
T
Shop Shark
I know where there is one for sale. PM me for details

Last edited by 69Cuda; Thu Jun 25 2020 01:58 PM. Reason: no selling in the tech forums

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop