The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (tclederman, tomctomc), 178 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,951
Posts960,604
Members43,521
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Firewall Master Cylinder Placement
#1365929 Mon Jun 22 2020 04:57 AM
H
New Guy
Hello Stovebolt,

I have a 46 Chevy which I am putting in 350 V8 with 700R4 tranny. I plan on putting in the brake pedal, master cylinder and booster out of a 86 Olds Bravada. After reading other threads, I plan on double walling the left firewall with a donor cab the will fit like a glove and will fabricate bracing to support the pedal bracket under the dash as others have discussed. I plan on putting a universal tilt, steering column in as well. My question is where do you decide to locate your MC through the firewall? Was it a balance of pedal location, clearance and cosmetics in the engine compartment of the MC, etc.? I am using the framework for the pedal assembly out of an S10 and will need to fabricate a pedal the bends horizontally just above the steering column and then bend down vertical again on the right side of the column to have clearance when braking since my pedal is aligned either left or just above the column when mocking up. Since the firewall is stamped where the MC placement would generally be, can a guy just shim or put bushings when mounting the MC to make the mounting flush and be OK?

Any advice is well appreciated!

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Firewall Master Cylinder Placement
Hilarious Chevy #1365940 Mon Jun 22 2020 11:39 AM
J
Shop Shark
What is the advantage of putting the master cylinder on the firewall if you have to support it with all the extra brackets? Just asking......

Hilarious Chevy #1366020 Tue Jun 23 2020 01:21 AM
H
New Guy
Hello Joe H,

Biggest reason, because I don't want to crawl under the thing to check the fluid level and also I want to close up my floor and sound proof the cab. I want easy access to check the MC during maintenance checks and bleeding, have a donor SI0 pedal bracket that should work well with minor bracketing for little investment, and feel this would be less fabrication work than trying to put it under the cab anyway. When I talk fabrication, I think this will be minor and will be primarily just between the back of the dash and pedal assembly itself.

Hilarious Chevy #1366021 Tue Jun 23 2020 01:23 AM
H
New Guy
Sorry, I failed to mention that it has a front disc brake conversion in the front and drums in the rear.

Hilarious Chevy #1366029 Tue Jun 23 2020 02:13 AM
M
Shop Shark
I'm putting Wilwood remote reservoirs on the firewall.

Attached Files
brake system.jpg (384.65 KB, 90 downloads)
Last edited by mick53; Tue Jun 23 2020 02:20 AM.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Hilarious Chevy #1366086 Tue Jun 23 2020 03:57 PM
D
Shop Shark
Was it a balance of pedal location, clearance and cosmetics in the engine compartment of the MC, etc.?

To me I would say yes all the above.
You need to have the booster and master positioned so they're not blocking anything else you need to get to in the engine compartment. Pretty much the same on the inside of the fire wall. It can be kind of a touchy dance getting things just right.

38 Chevy 1/2 ton being resto-moded
65 AC Cobra replica
USAF vet
Hilarious Chevy #1366110 Tue Jun 23 2020 05:57 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I think pedal location would hold the bigger percentage. You have to be comfortable while driving, especially if you plan on going long distances. It also has to be functional, enough throw, etc. You can't take your foot off the accelerator, then draw your knee up to your face just to be able to put your foot on your brake pedal to stop the vehicle.

Hilarious Chevy #1366125 Tue Jun 23 2020 07:51 PM
W
Master Gabster
I have mine located in the normal position under the cab and I put a remote fill on the firewallExcept mine is stainless steal [speedwaymotors.com].

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Hilarious Chevy #1366141 Tue Jun 23 2020 11:37 PM
H
New Guy
Thanks gentlemen. Luckily Mark, I have short legs and have to reach for the pedals to begin with😂. First time tackling this and didn't know if there was anything else to consider before I start drilling holes in my firewall besides what I already mentioned. I will consider the remote reservoirs, but I think I have my mind made up. They look great by the way, Mick53 and Ron.

I guess my biggest concern is to get a tight, flush fit against the firewall since it is stamped right where I would like to put the MC. After I determine my location is will probably have to shim the mounting bolts either here or there to get it to sit flush with the firewall. Any recommendations on using a 7 vs. 8 vs. 9 inch booster?

Thanks for the insight,
Bill

Hilarious Chevy #1366157 Wed Jun 24 2020 01:37 AM
M
Shop Shark
I would call the manufacturer. For mine Wilwood recommended an 8" duel diaphragm.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop