The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 members (WE b OLD, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,469
Posts965,630
Members43,681
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
'46 Chevy Truck wont run
#1365604 Fri Jun 19 2020 06:02 PM
G
Gary P. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
It has '58 235 cu in 6 cylinder with a 6 volt ignition system in it. ( the casting on the block is 58 or 53. I cant tell)
I was going to show last week when it just died while I going down the road.
The fuel pump is bad. Is there a difference in pumps in these two years?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1946 1/2 ton Chevy Pickup
1953 235 cu in
3 speed on the floor
Re: '46 Chevy Truck wont run
Gary P. #1365607 Fri Jun 19 2020 06:13 PM
H
Boltergeist
Be sure to test the pump before changing it. There are several reasons a fuel pump quits working, and simply swapping to a "new" pump won't solve problems like a clogged fuel line, a restricted gas tank vent, debris in the tank, and a lot of other problems. Plus, you might have to try several new overseas-manufactured pumps before you find a good one. See if the engine will fire up and run for a while by filling the carburetor float chamber through the vent pipe at the top of the air horn. With the float chamber full, the engine will idle for nearly a minute- - - -long enough to check the pump for pressure, vacuum, and volume.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Gary P. #1365615 Fri Jun 19 2020 07:21 PM
B
General Purpose
1. A 58 is a 12V motor. I assume you have worked that out.

2. I assume you know what you are saying is true, but how do you know the fuel pump is bad?

3. Your only question is: "are 53 and 58 the same pump."
Do you have the dual action vacuum for wipers or single action for electric wipers?

4. Websites list different part numbers for the pumps in 53 and 58. However I believe they are the same physically. They do have have different flows. Single stage: 53 is 20 GPM and 5 psi max. 58 is 25 GPM and 4 psi max. Depending on carb, your choice. I would find out what motor I had if I were you. With tolerances and your hybrid system, they can be called the same pump.
1953 Carter M2118
1958 Carter M2999

In the dual stage pump versions for 53 and 58, the PSI's cross over each other. So more evidence of either pump for either motor.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

bartamos #1365645 Fri Jun 19 2020 11:20 PM
G
Gary P. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by bartamos

2. I assume you know what you are saying is true, but how do you know the fuel pump is bad?

Do you have the dual action vacuum for wipers or single action for electric wipers?

4. Websites list different part numbers for the pumps in 53 and 58. However I believe they are the same physically. They do have have different flows. Single stage: 53 is 20 GPM and 5 psi max. 58 is 25 GPM and 4 psi max. Depending on carb, your choice. I would find out what motor I had if I were you. With tolerances and your hybrid system, they can be called the same pump.
1953 Carter M2118
1958 Carter M2999
the dual stage pump versions for 53 and 58, the PSI's cross over each other. So more evidence of either pump for either motor.

1. I did work that out. it's a'53 (6 volt)
2. It was not the pump after all
3. My current pump has no vacuum line

I started to remove the fuel lines and got NO fuel. The in-line fuel filter was completely clogged with a white gooey substance. I'm sure that it is the Ethanol in the gas. I thought that I had added enough Sta Bil to the tank last year, but I guess not. I am worried about there being more of this stuff in the tank. Tomorrow I'm going to drain out a few gallons through a paint filter and see if I get anything. I had to replace a fuel lineon my boat a couple of weeks ago due to Ethanol gas. The interior lining on the fuel line deteriorated and collapsed, blocking all fuel flow

Attached Files
1946 Chevy.jpg (52.25 KB, 136 downloads)
Last edited by Gary P.; Fri Jun 19 2020 11:27 PM.

1953 235 cu in
3 speed on the floor
bartamos #1365646 Fri Jun 19 2020 11:23 PM
G
Gary P. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher

1953 Carter M2118
1958 Carter M2999

In the dual stage pump versions for 53 and 58, the PSI's cross over each other. So more evidence of either pump for either motor.

Thanks for the info. Look at my other reply. I's not the pump

1953 235 cu in
3 speed on the floor
Gary P. #1365650 Fri Jun 19 2020 11:49 PM
B
General Purpose
The fuel hose sold now, including marine, is safe for E85.
Don't take this the wrong way but you are guessing too much with your issues. I.E. Pump and what is cause "white stuff". You can't say "it's the pump" without testing.
Let gas drain into a clear jar a little bit before paint filtering, so you can see what is at the bottom of tank.

Very glad you caught it, good work.

Gary P. #1365655 Sat Jun 20 2020 12:01 AM
Shop Shark
Set up an alternate fuel supply with known clean, modern fuel to do a test run, that is assuming the carb is clean.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Gary P. #1365660 Sat Jun 20 2020 12:17 AM
B
General Purpose
Do you have an aftermarket aluminum fuel tank? or a steel tank. If you get white stuff in tank drain test, it's not the hoses.

bartamos #1365664 Sat Jun 20 2020 01:25 AM
G
Gary P. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
The fuel hose sold now, including marine, is safe for E85.
Don't take this the wrong way but you are guessing too much with your issues. I.E. Pump and what is cause "white stuff". You can't say "it's the pump" without testing.
Let gas drain into a clear jar a little bit before paint filtering, so you can see what is at the bottom of tank.

Very glad you caught it, good work.

The inline fuel filter is between the original steel tank and the fuel pump. The truck runs really well right now. Whatever this white gel is is in the tank.

I only mentioned the boat I only mentioned the boat because I can't stand this Ethanol fuel. The fuel line on the boat was 18 years old and not the new generation of fuel lines. There are many problems caused by this fuel in fuel systems that are open to the atmosphere.

I like the suggestion of putting the gas in a clear container and letting it settle for a while before straining it.

1953 235 cu in
3 speed on the floor
Gary P. #1365692 Sat Jun 20 2020 12:31 PM
P
Jack of all Trades, Master of None
The white gel is most likely ethanol. In my experience, treating gas with Stabol before stowing equipment (or in your case a truck), is not an effective way to insure it won’t coagulate. Ethanol can gel in as little as six weeks. That means that you have to go thru a full tank in less that six weeks to insure you won’t have an issue. Fortunately, in my area, I can buy non-ethanol gas at about sixty cents more a gallon. I made the switch to non-ethanol treated gas several years ago when I was cleaning out several carburetors a year, in my 4-wheeler, snow blower and yard equipment. I did use Stabol when stowing my equipment over the winter/summer. Since I made the switch, I buy nothing but ethanol free gas and I still treat it with Stabol 360 prior to filling the can. That way, I don’t have to keep track of which equipment was treated. Since the switch, I virtually eliminated cleaning carburetors. I still run E-10 in my daily driver but I go thru more than tank of gas every two weeks.

You gas tank more than likely contains more of that gel and will need to be cleaned out in addition to the lines, petcock etc.

Last edited by Phak1; Sat Jun 20 2020 12:31 PM.

Phil

1952 Chevrolet 3100
Project Journals
‘59 235 & hydraulic lifters
“Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop