The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (Twin Jimmys), 182 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,365
Posts977,669
Members44,213
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hydrovac Rebuild Kit
Doug R. #1362481 Thu May 28 2020 08:54 PM
D
Doug R. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Tks harold, I'll give him a try. Update: Well I got a hold of Rick today at reman-inc via email and he's trying to put a kit together for me...fingers crossed. In the mean time I took mine apart and glad i did. Someones had it apart before and lubed piston and power cylinder with vasoline/.... not a drop of oil in it which I know is recommended. Theres some light scratching to cylinder but not deep...hopefully i can smooth them out. Good news is no rust or pitting.

Doug R. #1362662 Fri May 29 2020 11:16 PM
D
Doug R. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Just an FYI for anyone who may be looking to rebuild their hydrovac. Rick from reman-inc was able to set me up with a kit. Thanks all for your help...much appreciated. Doug

Doug R. #1364458 Thu Jun 11 2020 02:43 PM
H
Wrench Fetcher
Late reply, but I finally tracked down the other company. They don't have a website aside from a single webpage deal here: http://rebuildersenterprises.com/

They are the only known supplier for the 2 speed diaphrams for the axle shifters and they specialize in brakes. You can try and give them a call. I need to as well regarding an old 1.25" master rebuild. Ill report back after I talk to them.

Doug R. #1364463 Thu Jun 11 2020 03:17 PM
H
Wrench Fetcher
Update for you:

Over the past 10 weeks I have had zero luck with RemainInc listed above. Just got off the phone with REI (above post) and they can pretty much do anything. They buy their parts in bulk based on sizing, not unit part numbers, thus you can't order kits from them. You ship in master/hydrovac/steering box/ etc and they will tear it down and use the old seals to match to new ones and then rebuild the unit for you.

I was told to simply box up the parts and include a paper with my number and the necessary info, ship it to them, and once received they will inspect, call, discuss with you and then rebuild the unit and return. Seems simple enough. They seemed fine with including double/triple of the parts used to rebuild in the return box to have on hand as spares so you can rebuild it yourself again in the coming years depending on how heavily used the truck will be.

Located in Chicago, address at the link in my prior post directly above. Hope it helps

Doug R. #1365082 Tue Jun 16 2020 05:48 AM
C
Shop Shark
Not sure if they sell rebuild kits but I just had my 1955 Chevy first 6400 hydrovac rebuilt by A1Cardone. Price will vary depending on what they replace but I paid $240 + shipping. One year warranty. Seemed pretty reasonable considering the complexity of all the valves, pistons, springs etc. I haul firewood out of the mountains so I like knowing it's done right. I bought the truck one year age and replaced all the brake components with new. Drum brakes are scary at best going down steep mountain roads with 6000 lb load. Reading the recent posts about converting to disc brakes has got me considering it. Just hauled my first load last weekend and I could smell the brakes getting hot on a 65 degree day. Not a good feeling. $240 on the hydrovac is cheap insurance. Good luck on your project.

Last edited by Chevy's till I d; Tue Jun 16 2020 05:49 AM.
Doug R. #1365083 Tue Jun 16 2020 06:04 AM
C
Shop Shark
One other thing I did was painting the brake drums with Zycoat ceramic paint. It's mainly used of exhaust headers. It's very efficient at conducting heat away from metel.

Doug R. #1365534 Fri Jun 19 2020 10:01 AM
S
Wrench Fetcher
I bought a rebuilt unit from Reman, great customer service, unit looked new, there is a core charge if you buy a rebuilt unit. Pretty sure they offer parts tool. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop