The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,069
Posts970,530
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 216 Babbit
46 Chevy Mom #1365236 Wed Jun 17 2020 09:11 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
In an earlier post John mentioned that there were no 6 volt fans. If you get two small 12V fans and wire them in series they should each only draw 6 volts.

Steve

46 Chevy Mom #1365254 Wed Jun 17 2020 02:06 PM
H
Boltergeist
Best laugh I've had today- - - -so far, at least!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
46 Chevy Mom #1365389 Thu Jun 18 2020 08:24 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
As Jerry pointed out don't listen to Steve. I have it on good authority that he was tired we he typed this. Two fans in series will only draw 3 volts each. Steve will now go and have a good lie down.

Steve

46 Chevy Mom #1365722 Sat Jun 20 2020 07:31 PM
H
New Guy
I have a question I think 46 mom and myself might have found a 235 that just came out of a 60 chevy. It looked like correct mounting. Does anyone know if the mounting is the mounts the same? I am waiting on him to give the casting number to make sure. Thanks again for all the knowledge.

46 Chevy Mom #1365723 Sat Jun 20 2020 07:33 PM
H
New Guy
I forgot to post it is a running 235 when pulled with a 3 speed. I would like to do a swap and get her on the road to enjoy it some before we do any major upgrades to it. I would like to keep it close to as original as possible.

46 Chevy Mom #1365880 Sun Jun 21 2020 11:06 PM
H
Boltergeist
That engine will swap with a few modifications, such as changing the flywheel, bell housing, starter, and a few other components from the 216 onto it. The position of the 235 water pump is too low for the fan to align properly with the radiator, but one of our members ("Pre-68 Dave") makes and sells an adapter plate to allow the 216 water pump to be mounted on the late model 235 engine. That corrects the fan position and allow you to use the crankshaft balancer, generator, and fan belt from the 216 on the newer engine. The 3 speed transmission and bell housing from the 1960 engine won't interchange without a LOT of modifications.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
46 Chevy Mom #1366210 Wed Jun 24 2020 12:08 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I know this is a late entry to the conversation, but some phraseology used earlier in this discussion got me thinking that we might clarify the difference between "cranking over" or "Cranking" an engine, and "turning over" an engine. Are we, at times, a little too loose with those terms and using them interchangeably when we shouldn't? Some people use them/understand them to be interchangeable, others don't.

I think it's important, especially with a dead or unknown engine, to know the difference (when giving advice) between an engine that won't "crank over" (i.e., won't rotate when power is applied to the starter) and one that won't rotate, either by the starter (it hums or otherwise gives evidence that it is trying to do its job) or by hand with some sort of lever applied to the harmonic balancer bolt or to the teeth of the flywheel.

e.g., an engine that "won't crank" may merely have an electrical issue, whereas (to me, anyway) an engine that "won't turn over"/rotate freely (and we've checked to make sure it's out of gear wink ) may be seized or have other internal mechanical issues.

Semantics? Regional dialects? Maybe, but it could lead to further problems if we're not clear on this.

Just sayin'

John

John
"There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes..."

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop