The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (Hotrod Lincoln, JasonP, D B Cooper, DennisM, 2 invisible), 190 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,968
Posts969,780
Members43,804
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Prepping the frame for paint
#1364942 Mon Jun 15 2020 03:32 AM
B
bigedpa Offline OP
Shop Shark
Just finished blasting the frame for my '46, it only took 12 years, 2 moves, 3 kids and a pandemic, but whose counting.

Now what do you all recommend for cleaning before primer and paint. I have read and researched, mineral spirits, paint thinner, prepsol, and even soap and water. It will be difficult to get the spirits, thinners and such into all the areas then wipe them back out to clean up the metal. Soap and water sounds like flash rust to me. What have you done to get the metal ready for primer after all of the sanding and blasting?

Do you recommend epoxy or self etching primer?

Information, experience and expertise is always greatly appreciated.

Ed

Last edited by bigedpa; Mon Jun 15 2020 03:48 AM.

"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
Re: Prepping the frame for paint
bigedpa #1364948 Mon Jun 15 2020 04:15 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I may get some flak for suggesting this, but you could blow out the areas you can't reach to wipe down then, use a spray bottle with grease and wax remover in those spots and then use your air blowgun again to dry the grease and wax remover out. I'm assuming it's freshly blasted, so your main issue is getting the media and dust out.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
bigedpa #1364961 Mon Jun 15 2020 11:53 AM
B
bigedpa Offline OP
Shop Shark
Kevin, Thanks. I have already done the blowout. My question is more about surface cleaning and preparation. What products do or have people used/recommend to get ready for their primer? And what primer, self etch, epoxy, or both do they like to use to get ready for the paint.

"it's only old if you can't find a use for it; otherwise it's cool and i'll use it."
bigedpa #1364971 Mon Jun 15 2020 01:08 PM
W
Shop Shark
I recommend a spray with phosphoric acid and wipe down with paper towels while it is still wet. If it drys before the wipe down, rewet it then wipe down.
I like Master Series Silver for a primer. It was originally designed as a bridge primer. Master Series totally seals the metal and is better than other products on the market. Check You Tube for a comparison. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZEyjR7jTWk

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
bigedpa #1364990 Mon Jun 15 2020 05:57 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I've wiped things down with brakleen in the past. This time around, I've picked up some Final Wipe. [tamcopaint.com] I had been using SPI for my epoxy primer, but for the current job Tamco Paint [tamcopaint.com] In fact, my crew cab repaint is going to be Tamco from the ground up. OEM color. What really sold me is the customer service/support! Completely outstanding!!

BTW, etching primers and epoxy primers do not get along!!

bigedpa #1365386 Thu Jun 18 2020 07:59 AM
F
New Guy
I would clean it with Ospho or similar product.

bigedpa #1365414 Thu Jun 18 2020 01:39 PM
R
Shop Shark
If you use Ospho like products, the results become the base on which you put your primer. Primer manufacturers usually want bare metal with a certain scratch depth (mechanical bonding) to bond their primer to the metal. Ospho like products don’t provide that.

Mike

1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently in pieces...
1940 Chevy Business Coupe
bigedpa #1366041 Tue Jun 23 2020 03:37 AM
F
Shop Shark
The ONLY thing to put on bare metal is EPOXY primer. It is designed exclusively for bare metal and rust prevention. Everything else is inferior.

~~ Darcy

1959 GMC 9310 Canadian- built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe
FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Project Journals Forum

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop