The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (classicchevs, Speednsalvage, tom moore), 154 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,922
Posts969,326
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New Member from Northeast Tennesse
Hotrod Lincoln #1364786 Sat Jun 13 2020 06:14 PM
M
New Guy
Great - thanks. I just posted a new message on the Welcome forum so hopefully I will be able to send you a PM soon. Appreciate your input. Will send PM when I’m allowed. Thanks 😊

Mem
Hotrod Lincoln #1364787 Sat Jun 13 2020 06:17 PM
M
New Guy
Yes - that is the plan. The shop came highly recommended, but as I mentioned we have been waiting so long for them to work on it. Good shops will always have more work than they can handle, I suppose.

Mem
Meriam Murphy #1364790 Sat Jun 13 2020 06:36 PM
R
Shop Shark
Welcome to beautiful East Tennessee and the forums. I live in Washington County, only about 30 miles away. I have to agree with the earlier posts, the old timers who knew babbit 216 engines are mostly gone. Have you considered a 235 engine as a replacement as many of us have? They were built from 1953-1962 are a bit more modern, easier to find parts for, easier to find someone who can rebuild it, usually leak less, and add from 10-35 more hp depending on the year. A 235 engine has the same dimensions as your 216 and will require minimum modifications (usually just the water pump). Also the 235 can be camouflaged by using the 216-valve cover and parts until only the initiated know the difference. Just a suggestion, I understand those who insist on 100% originality.

BTW, come over and join us Saturday evenings with the Carter County Car Club, -look up their FB page for details. Usually several hundred classic vehicles every Saturday 5-9pm.
Don

Meriam Murphy #1364802 Sat Jun 13 2020 08:37 PM
H
Boltergeist
If you decide to swap to a 235 engine, the same "no leak" seal modification can be done to it. I'd suggest finding a rebuildable 235, preferably a 1954 or early 55 production engine with the water pump in the same location as a 216, and rebuild and improve it, it instead of risking a disaster with the 216 if some old geezer like me doesn't build it. I was among the last bunch of professional mechanics who grew up working on Babbit rod engines, back in the late 1950's.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
RdsLessTaken #1364815 Sat Jun 13 2020 11:02 PM
M
New Guy
Thank you for the recommendation! We will seriously consider making that change. We’ll start researching where to get a rebuildable 235. Appreciate you taking the time respond.

Mem
Meriam Murphy #1364922 Mon Jun 15 2020 12:27 AM
R
Shop Shark
I just viewed the picture of your truck posted in the welcome forum. From the picture, that appears to be an outstanding, beautiful original looking truck. Someone has obviously put a lot of effort and money into keeping it original right down to the pinstripes. Trucks in this condition are pretty rare; - I’ve only seen a couple in this region. If this is the case, do not discard the original 216 engine. Put it in storage as this will make the truck more valuable if you ever resale. If you just want to enjoy driving the truck without worries, the 235 is the obvious option. If you want to retain the trucks value as an antique, keep the 216 on hand, rebuilt or not. You can have the best of both worlds.

Meriam Murphy #1364937 Mon Jun 15 2020 03:13 AM
H
Boltergeist
There are also ways to make internal upgrades to a 216 that make it perform very close to later model engines, and also increase the oil pressure, horsepower, and reliability. These modifications can be completely hidden, so even an "expert" can't tell it from an original engine without disassembling it. The modifications aren't inexpensive by any means, but it you're planning to drive the truck frequently, it's certainly worth considering. Even if you choose to keep the original engine untouched, a different 216 can be modified for use as a daily driver. I'm working on modifications like fitting 235 aluminum pistons, a high volume oil pump, the improved main bearing seal, and possibly even fitting the same camshaft as the 6 cylinder Corvette engine ran. That would end up with a 224 cubic inch engine with very good oil pressure and considerably more power than an unmodified 216. Putting in the 3.55:1 ratio rear end gears that are available would produce a 55-60 MPH highway cruiser that looks bone-stock! "There's no substitute for cubic dollars!"
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop