The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (2ManyTrucks, agedhorse, North of 40, Eureka Jim, tomctomc), 225 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,060
Posts961,569
Members43,548
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Member from Northeast Tennesse
#1364479 Thu Jun 11 2020 06:17 PM
M
New Guy
Hi there,
I learned of this site from Christopher on the Chey 3100 FaceBook page. My husband and I recently purchased a 1953 Chevy 3100. I apologize in advance because I probably will not use the correct terminology. Our truck is 216 6 cylinder, 3 speed manual transmission and we are having a problem with the rear main seal. We had the rope seal replaced by someone who restores these trucks, but it still leaks. My husband saw a video of a rear seal conversion which will eliminate the 2 piece seal by boring the seal cavity and the rear main cap. My husband hates leaks so we decided to have the real main seal converted.
Currently, we have the engine pulled and are still waiting for the machine shop in town to perform the work on it. They've had the engine for 6 weeks and have not yet started the work. We had already waited 4 months before they said they were even ready to work on it; which means we've been waiting over 5 months with no completion date in sight. We are frustrated and were hoping to find another machine shop to do the work. We have been living here for a relatively short time so we do not know that many people in the area. We live in Greeneville Tennessee, which is in the northeast corner of Tennessee, about 70 miles northeast of Knoxville. We were hoping someone could recommend a machine shop not too far from us.
Thank you!

Mem
Re: New Member from Northeast Tennesse
Meriam Murphy #1364487 Thu Jun 11 2020 07:01 PM
W
Master Gabster
A member here goes by Hot Rod Lincoln and lives in Dellrose Tn. Very knowledgeable. I am sure if he sees this he will speak up. You can Personal Message as in PM top right of your page it will look a small envelope but you have to post a few times before it activates.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Meriam Murphy #1364504 Thu Jun 11 2020 09:55 PM
B
Shop Shark
Welcome! I live in Knoxville and know several stovebolters in your area. I reached out to one who suggested contacting “Performance Automotive Machine & Engine” in Greenville. This maybe who has your engine now but if not, worth a try. Understand, he has had no work done by them. If you are will to put some miles on, there are other places like Morristown. Several stovebolters are in your area and may provide better input. Hot rod Lincoln lives more toward middle Tennessee but may know of a local builder in your area.
Come back often as this is the place to learn all about your truck.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
WE b OLD #1364688 Fri Jun 12 2020 11:54 PM
M
New Guy
Okay - I’ll reach out to him - thanks!

Mem
beltfed #1364689 Fri Jun 12 2020 11:57 PM
M
New Guy
Thanks. Performance Automotive has our engine. I will check with them on Monday to see if they can commit to a date. If not, Morristown is within reach so I will explore that area. Thanks,

Mem
Meriam Murphy #1364695 Sat Jun 13 2020 01:23 AM
H
Boltergeist
Make at least one more forum post and you will have access to the private message feature. Drop me a PM, and I will be glad to make arrangements with you to modify your engine block. The job takes approximately 4 hours to do, as I demonstrated at one of the annual "homecoming" gatherings the forum has, a little over a year ago.

Here's the seal you need:
https://www.zoro.com/skf-shaft-seal-3-78x4-34x38-crwa1-nbr-38647/i/G9397674/

Jerry

P.S.: When a 216 quits leaking, it's empty- - - - -pour some more oil into it- - - -just like a Harley Davidson motorcycle!

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Meriam Murphy #1364752 Sat Jun 13 2020 03:05 PM
H
Boltergeist
Are you planning on having the machine shop disassemble/reassemble your engine, as well as doing the machine work? If so, proceed VERY cautiously when choosing a shop. 216 engines, with their Babbit bearing connecting rods and oddball oiling system, are very difficult to rebuild properly. Unless a shop has a lot of experience at rebuilding 216's (unlikely) there's a strong possibility of making mistakes that will allow the engine to destroy itself due to insufficient lubrication of the connecting rods. Then oil leaks become a moot point- - - - -an engine that doesn't run also doesn't leak.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Meriam Murphy #1364753 Sat Jun 13 2020 03:07 PM
D
Shop Shark
Unfortunately Hotrod Lincoln is right on the money. I hate leaks too but the good and fun side is you can keep your engine looking like new using absorbent cloth to wipe it down every once in a while. Doc

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
Meriam Murphy #1364755 Sat Jun 13 2020 03:12 PM
D
Shop Shark
When we show our vehicles inside convention centers or golf courses etc. diapers are provided. It is a 4x4 piece of absorbent material with plastic hooks on elastic lines. Don't drive with it on however. Doc

Last edited by Doc.Hall; Sat Jun 13 2020 03:26 PM. Reason: additional info

Meriam Murphy #1364760 Sat Jun 13 2020 03:35 PM
D
Shop Shark
Oh by the way welcome to this fantastic site. I'm relatively new myself (6 months). Wonderful helpful people. Doc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop