The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Fox, 46paneltruck, Mickey3100, MT53, 3B, dands), 193 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,036
Posts970,293
Members43,817
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stinky Topic
#1364338 Wed Jun 10 2020 06:12 PM
S
Shop Shark
My plumber talked me into buying a low flush/capacity toilet. My other was ancient. He got me a TOTO which according to him and others is the Cadillac of thrones. He says I'll be saving money because I will be flushing 4 litres of water instead of 12 or 13. Ain't so because one flush doesn't do it. Without going into details (and being censored) I think you know what I mean. I yearn for the old. The water line is located right where the bowl has a contour. It looks like there is a constant ring around it but its only a shadow. I asked him how I can increase the quantity of water but has not come up with an answer. Tried everyone's favourite problem solver (YouTube) but no help.
Newer is not better!

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: Stinky Topic
Sedgewick #1364356 Wed Jun 10 2020 08:39 PM
Master Gabster
I don't have that issue with our low volume flush head but it's a bit older and uses about 6 liters. I've read that some newer toilets have a dual flush with more water being added with a #2 flush. If your plumber advised you and it's not working as advertised I'd have a conversation with the plumber.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Sedgewick #1364357 Wed Jun 10 2020 08:42 PM
L
Shop Shark
Sedgewick, I am no expert but we have two Totos at home and two at the cabin. Each place has had them for over a decade and I think they are great. Rarely do you have to double flush (as in maybe once in 500). I believe you can adjust the water level at the valve. The level is indicated by an embossed line on the inside of the tank. I think there is a plastic screw slot at the top of the valve. If that doesn't work, call your plumber. None of my valves have needed replacement in all this time, much more reliable than the ordinary valve. Follow up please!

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Sedgewick #1364368 Wed Jun 10 2020 10:31 PM
W
Master Gabster
I just bent the rod on the inside of the take and it hit the lid for a small flush and you hold it down for a full flush. I wish it was my brilliant idea but when I bought a new handle they sold me one with the rod in the wrong orientation so that is what makes it work. What was funny that I had bought one that would not work so when I took it back and the guy said you just have to bend so he did it and guess what it snapped.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Sedgewick #1364376 Thu Jun 11 2020 12:02 AM
J
Shop Shark
I've had really good luck with American Standard Cadet and Champion models. One uses 1.28 gallons and one uses 1.68 gallons. Those babies are flat out efficient and quick and they weren't expensive. Plus they have a really good design on the flapper which uses an easily replaceable silicone ring. If you push down on the lever just a bit, your flush uses less water and if you push down all the way, it uses the full amount. (number 1 and number 2 as mentioned above) About 12 years ago Dallas Water Utilities would give you a $90 credit on low volume toilets and the Cadet was at the top of their suggested list. We had to replace one of the silicone rings soon after we installed one of them. I called American Standard (since it had a 10 year warranty) and they mailed me a replacement via Priority Mail. That's all we've had to do.

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Sedgewick #1364408 Thu Jun 11 2020 03:44 AM
S
Shop Shark
There are toilets with two "levers" for number one and number two. Mine has just one. Basically there is not enough water in the bowl to clear the waste. I have spoken to my plumber - who is my neighbour and he said he would look into it. I could always go to a plumbing supply house and ask. I am not happy with it obviously.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1364409 Thu Jun 11 2020 03:55 AM
R
Shop Shark
We had an American Standard put in about a week ago. We wanted one with the higher seat because my wife is getting her second knee replaced in two weeks. Am. Std. is the brand this plumber uses, so we went with it. Like I said, we've only had it a week, but so far has done a really good job with the limited water usage. Ask me again in a year or so. smile

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Sedgewick #1364495 Thu Jun 11 2020 08:03 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
How we ever did with non-tall bowls and round seats, I'll never know!!

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop