The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (WE b OLD), 239 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics121,943
Posts983,257
Members44,348
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Old, fat and lazy
Justhorsenround #1364028 Mon Jun 08 2020 06:22 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Hehe. I ended up taking a sick day today. I haven't done that in 10 years?? I'll be back at it tomorrow. Sore like crazy, but back at it.

I forgot to mention, the very first time I hurt my lower back, the project supervisor made me wax his Bronco hood on a 103 degree day. In the sun. Ah, those were the days. Back when, if you got hurt, you got yelled at or ostracized. So you learned to work hurt so you wouldn't get yelled at or "let the crew down." I'm sure my back is still happy about those days.

Justhorsenround #1364056 Mon Jun 08 2020 09:22 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Back in the days when I did stupid things like run a mile, it would be agony the next day trying to go up or down stairs. The best medicine for that was to get out and walk about 1/2 mile to loosen things up. Doesn't work so well any more, but I haven't run further than across a street lately. wink

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Justhorsenround #1364106 Tue Jun 09 2020 03:52 AM
R
Shop Shark
"Run"?? What is this "run" you speak of? grin

Justhorsenround #1364110 Tue Jun 09 2020 10:43 AM
W
Master Gabster
thumbs_up

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Justhorsenround #1364121 Tue Jun 09 2020 12:07 PM
Master Gabster
If you ever see me running look behind me because there's something bad chasing me.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Justhorsenround #1364124 Tue Jun 09 2020 12:10 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
I have no idea where the age cut off is for not having to pay attention to this stuff. All I know is *I'm* past it. But what I've learned is that if I want to keep being able to do what I want to, I have to maintain a regular level of cardio activity (sustained heart rate) burning those calories AND watch what and how much I eat. I can't have it both ways. I can't keep eating yummy foods and only exercising for short periods episodically and expect things to stay the same, much less improve. That's what my dad thought and he died a fat and lazy man who wasn't all that old (69).

Anyone else over 50 on a workout program care to share? Anybody else on a rowing machine (specifically a Concept II)? If you are interested in becoming a training partner, pm me.

As for me, there isn't much I can do about the "old" part (except try to achieve it smile ), but I am darn sure trying to do something about the Fat and Lazy part! Does my body hurt after a good workout or full day on the job site? You bet smile But a nice hot shower and a good night's rest is better than any pill. Besides, pain is just weakness leaving the body. smile

Ezekiel Bread .... you develop a tolerance for it after a year or so ... eeeek

John

Last edited by John Milliman; Tue Jun 09 2020 12:14 PM. Reason: Probably sounded like preaching ...

John
"Paul! Peggy barada nikto. PEGGY BARADA NIKTO!!!!"

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Justhorsenround #1364130 Tue Jun 09 2020 12:42 PM
W
Master Gabster
thumbs_up

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Justhorsenround #1364220 Tue Jun 09 2020 10:12 PM
D
Shop Shark
I had open heart surgery last June (5 bypasses). In August I won my age/weight bracket at the USAPL national benchpress championships. To put that in perspective I am 73 years old and only went to try and qualify with minimum weight as an alternate for the world championships. My doctor had limited me to lifting 10 pounds max. Even though I was weakened from the surgery, I did 210 quite easily - vanity not common sense (my wife was in the audience and had 911 dialed and ready on the phone). Luckily for me, no one in my bracket showed up, so my accomplishment was not that spectacular. But I felt could be strong again by May of 2020 for the worlds (cancelled due to covid).

I go to the gym 3 times a week and spend 2.5 hours lifting heavy (for me at least). Then I walk about 5 miles 4-5 times a week with with my wife (I slow her down though). Often somebody at the gym will compliment me on "showing those young guys how its done." The younger guys tell me they hope to be like me when they are as old. I'm not sure how to take that, It may be because I still have all my hair. It seems everyone at the has their reason for being there, some people even have walkers or a cane, but still workout. Most people my age tend to do "maintenance" exercises, but the important thing is that they are there, not on their couch.

I'm not trying to self-aggrandize, just set a perspective. I say it doesn't matter what you do, but the fact that you do it makes you a winner. I have as much respect for a person that can run a 4 mile as a person that walks that mile. For what I have read in this thread, you guys are exceptional, and in spite of any aches and pains earned as a result of your endeavors, you should be proud. You probably have the majority beat.
don

Justhorsenround #1364221 Tue Jun 09 2020 10:31 PM
W
Master Gabster
thumbs_up

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop