The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,522
Posts966,059
Members43,692
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Steering column and wheel issue
#1363572 Fri Jun 05 2020 04:03 AM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
I feel like the steering wheel on my 67 suburban is sitting right in my lap. I'm not a plump fellow, so I'm curious if this is the correct column? The truck was apparently rat (censored) by a previous owner.
There were quite a few parts missing and incorrect parts in place.

I think that I would like to find a tilt column, but they are pretty pricey, which means I will have to deal with it.

Attached Files
IMG_1209.JPG (43.68 KB, 126 downloads)

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Re: Steering column and wheel issue
Rusty Rod #1363588 Fri Jun 05 2020 12:30 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Rusty, the local Pick a Part will be your best bet for an inexpensive steering column. GM used virtually the same column over many years and makes/models. Take your tape measure and go for it.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Rusty Rod #1363590 Fri Jun 05 2020 01:21 PM
D
Shop Shark
Something I would also consider is purchasing a flat custom wheel rather than the deep dish you now have. It will give you a few inches. Doc

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
Rusty Rod #1363597 Fri Jun 05 2020 03:16 PM
H
Boltergeist
The "dished" steering wheel was one of the first attempts at protecting drivers in case of a crash. It allowed a couple of inches of deflection of the steering wheel before a driver's chest encountered the steering shaft. If you change over to a slightly smaller diameter, flatter shaped custom wheel, you'll gain a few inches of room for "fallen chest muscles"- - - - -just remember to wear a seat belt, and/or adapt a seat belt/shoulder harness setup to the truck.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Rusty Rod #1363598 Fri Jun 05 2020 03:29 PM
L
Shop Shark
It’s possible to modify and move that original column closer to the dash. However, that also moves the steering wheel closer to your knees, which isn’t a great trade off. If you add power steering, change to a smaller steering wheel, AND move the column closer to the dash, you just might find things feel good again, BUT IT’S A LOT OF WORK!

In my 65 C10, I cut the column shorter and moved the steering wheel 3” closer to the dash when I installed a power steering box. It was easy because I have a floor shifter. I have plans to change to a smaller SW this summer.

Rusty Rod #1363603 Fri Jun 05 2020 03:51 PM
H
Boltergeist
There's only one safe way to shorten a steering column, and it involves machining both ends of the cutoff shaft for a "Double D" coupling that's available from various racing parts suppliers. Simply cutting a chunk out of the worm gear shaft and welding it back together can create a stress point that can result in the weld breaking and losing steering control in case you hit a hard bump or a pothole.
Jerry

Rusty Rod #1363604 Fri Jun 05 2020 04:19 PM
T
Shop Shark
I know you recently installed Suburban seats. Being that the seat are power did you have the seat track fully forward when you mounted them, that wound give you more movement to the rear. The seats in my 05' Yukon also move up and down, not sure if yours do?

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Hotrod Lincoln #1363610 Fri Jun 05 2020 05:27 PM
L
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
There's only one safe way to shorten a steering column, and it involves machining both ends of the cutoff shaft for a "Double D" coupling that's available from various racing parts suppliers.
Jerry

I had a machinist cut the lower 2” of my shortened original shaft to a DD shape, used a U-joint with two through bolts, and improved the safety with a telescoping DD connection to the steering box. That is the ONLY way I’d recommend doing this. The slip on “round” lower shaft pieces that are welded to the original shaft have the risks you mentioned.
HERE ARE THE DETAILS [lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com] of what I did to mine but it doesn’t show the steering column shaft end very well. It has a DD end with a through bolt for the U-joint.

Rusty Rod #1363625 Fri Jun 05 2020 06:30 PM
H
Boltergeist
Good show! However, not everyone who is reading this thread might be aware of the hazards involved with cutting and welding on steering components. Some of the "resto-rod" projects I inspect for potential buyers have some Rube Goldberg modifications that would scare the wits out of a Hollywood stunt man who makes a living doing deadly dangerous stuff!
Jerry

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop