The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (1953GMCJimmy, 51 3804, 39suburban, 58n63, 49 3100, 55 SHAKER, 3 invisible), 147 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,068
Posts970,571
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WHAT AM I MISSING APACHE FRONT END
#1362556 Fri May 29 2020 06:04 AM
R
reidy Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I am considering the option of putting an Apache coil spring front end under my 42 Chev truck. Before you say it is to wide, mine is a Holden (Australian) body with wide front guards and the width should work well. The width of the chassis rails looks like it will bolt in with minimum work. I am using a Truck cab and guards on a 3/4 ton chassis. Engine will be 261 stovebolt.

A number of people have commented that if I am going to an independent front end I should go for something more modern. Apparently they are better, but with no reason why. I have also noted that there is a whole industry making front ends for swaps. If they are making them someone must be buying.

So my question is, what am I missing that makes the Apache front end not a good candidate. It has coil springs. If I want I can put disks on. Do these handle like a drunken sailor on shore leave with a busted shoe. Am I going to get some significant extra handling by sending a few thousand more (Australian dollars, yes we really pay that much for some stuff over here)for an aftermarket front end. Is the Apache such a lost cause that even with good shocks and springs I will curse the day I put it in.

If my thinking is correct that the Apache is not as bad as made out are there changes that make it great.

Thanks

Steve from down under.

Re: WHAT AM I MISSING APACHE FRONT END
reidy #1362588 Fri May 29 2020 01:48 PM
T
Shop Shark
Sounds like you need a ss commodore Ute remember they are only original once

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
reidy #1362608 Fri May 29 2020 03:35 PM
R
Shop Shark
Chevy used the "Apache" nameplate from 58 through 61. It appears you are referring to the front end from a 60-61 vehicle that has the torsion bar front end. From what I have read on this site, parts are extremely difficult to obtain and many owners have switched to front ends from either the 63-72 trucks or the 73-87 series. Later vehicles have disc brakes and likely power steering, there are more of them, and likely better condition. Considering the shipping costs, it would likely be prudent to obtain the best possible components. I'm sure there are also many more better options.
Fred

TPR57C #1362669 Fri May 29 2020 11:57 PM
R
reidy Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Originally Posted by TPR57C
Sounds like you need a ss commodore Ute remember they are only original once

Only if it is completely original, but all of the ones I have seen have had the oil filter changed and someone has gone and put different air in the tyres.

Or I could make something usable out of a hard used and partially stripped farm truck that has been in the family for nearly 50 years. I will think about it. I also prefer inline 6 cylinders.

Fred

The seller of the front end said Apache but he a said 63. So It is a coil front end from the mid 60's.

Steve

reidy #1362674 Sat May 30 2020 12:39 AM
B
General Purpose
Steve, if you confirm that the bearings, seals, tie rod ends and all that are readily available for the 63, then there is nothing wrong with using it. You will, of course, have to sort out the height to get level. The rest is brute strength, a drill and a welder. The 63 is a truck front end, made for a truck. It's good. It's a money saving way. The aftermarket stuff is for hot rodders, spindle droppers, rack and pinion steering........... not truckers in the outback.

I can't tell how much of this truck is 42 Holden and how much is 3/4 Chev. Don't know the goal? Reliability, better ride, more modern available parts, front end beyond repair???????????

The other options to consider, with regard to work content vs benefit, are:

1. Put new leaf springs on the 42 chassis.
2. Put a newer chassis under "it"
3. Do a "front clip" install with the donor. Frame splice.

As I say, hard to see the whole picture to advise a plan. A bunch of pics would be super.
Does your 42 Holden now have a 2WD I-beam truck axle with leaf springs ? or a 42 car A arm style with coil?

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

bartamos #1362691 Sat May 30 2020 02:03 AM
R
reidy Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
[img]https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...ad/Number/18900/filename/20160511_110728 (1).jpg[/img]

I have attached a photo of the truck arriving at my place. I do have the bonnet for it but it needs work. The body is Holden and the chassis and running gear are Chev.

The short history is Dad purchased the truck in around 1974 and I remember being allowed to ride home in it. I drove it in the 70's and 80's. It was a farm truck until the early 90's and was parked.
When Dad sold the farm he asked if I wanted the truck. After about half a second of deep thought I said yes.

What I want to achieve is essentially a swap meet, hardware store or steel shop and garden supplies pick up that is a short wheel based flat bed truck that will fit in a garage. I have a 261 engine for it. It needs to be able to do the local speed limits but I am not planning on more than a couple of hundred kilometers away from home.

If I was to leave it as a full sized truck I know I would not use or enjoy it. I am wanted to put standard Chev 6 stud steel wheels and am putting a different rear end in it. I want to lower it to around standard Chev pickup height. I would consider the original I beam but have not worked out to put normal sized drums and wheels due to stub axle size.

Yes I could start with another truck but this one has about a thousand memories attached to it and that is hard to replace.

Steve

Attached Files
20160511_110728 (1).jpg (145.04 KB, 119 downloads)
reidy #1362695 Sat May 30 2020 02:43 AM
B
General Purpose
The best way, by far, to get all you want, is to use the cab and front sheet metal on a short bed, 1/2T chassis....or maybe some other UTE.

Any other way will take lots of skill, time, money and parts.
3/4 ton have 8 lugs and don't come in short wheel base.

Your list is very good but very restrictive to much of the existing truck.
1. You want the original truck to be represented.
2. You want it low and short to fit a garage.
3. 6 lugs
4. Driver quality comfort and reliability
5. Flatbed

I commend your goal. A family tribute. Maybe you can use the headache rack and some of the bed lumber on the new flatbed.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

reidy #1362747 Sat May 30 2020 03:16 PM
J
Workshop Owner
Hello Steve, from what I can see your truck looks to be in great shape with no rust. I like your ideas for it. thumbs_up

There are many different ways to achieve what you want and I suggest that you start with checking out the Gallery and seeing what others have done. For instance there is member by the name of "Weeds" that has a AD Suburban that he grafted the front suspension from a 1/2 ton pickup. Others will buy a manufactured IFS from one of the vendors. Yet, others chose to mount the cab on a newer chassis such as an S10.

Grab your tape measure, start planning and then decide which way is best for you and your skills. If you decide to re-purpose a suspension from another vehicle you may need to buy a donor vehicle for parts.

No matter which you decide to do, we are here to help.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

reidy #1363402 Wed Jun 03 2020 10:13 PM
R
Shop Shark
Steve,
A 63 front end would be a better option as Bartamos stated it is from a real truck and parts are available. I see ads all the time for 55-57 "Apache" trucks, so many don't know, it just sounds good. That is a huge truck with a heavy frame, large fenders, and what looks like 10 lug wheels. I'm not sure it is a good candidate to make it a 1/2 ton without major surgery. The cab and fenders may be better suited for another complete chassis from a one ton or something. I can certainly understand making it into something usable, however.
Fred

reidy #1363449 Thu Jun 04 2020 03:36 AM
R
reidy Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Fred

I agree that my chassis and wheels are too big for what I want. As I said in my original post I have a bare 3/4 ton chassis that I will put a rear and front end under. I am wanting to use chev 6 stud wheels. I will use the sheet metal from my truck and the timber from my tray to make a new tray. The timber on my tray is an Australian species called narrow leaf iron bark that was cut from the old family farm.

Steve

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop