The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 members (baldilocks, 1953 panel, Doc.Hall, coilover, Forty9, 2 invisible), 201 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,938
Posts960,527
Members43,519
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A Close Call Today - Too Close
#1362343 Thu May 28 2020 12:11 AM
S
Shop Shark
Put the 49 up on jack stands so I could lube the front end. My driveway has two concrete lanes with grass in between. I thought I had put the jack stands on the concrete but half of one was on the grass.
I always leave my floor jack in place as a safety measure. Was all set to crawl under the truck when the jack stand decided to bury itself in the grass and tipped, tipping the other and the truck came down onto the floor jack with a thud.
A minute earlier I could have been under there. It took me about 4 hours just sitting down to get over the shock.
I always hate crawling around trying to lube the joints but always felt I could do a better job than anyone. I learned a valuable lesson today.
Check and double check the jack stands and don't crawl under the truck again ever! I am pushing 76 and IMO too old to be doing it.
Be careful out there!

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: A Close Call Today - Too Close
Sedgewick #1362349 Thu May 28 2020 12:56 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
My day was an old school mechanic trained back in the golden age of the auto, the 20's.
sturdy, solid jack stands were always stressed to my brother and I when we were growing up.
I've got about a dozen Harbor Freight Jack Stands that I've used, but never really trusted as the
uprights are cast and who knows what they were cast from.
Ya'll be careful, double, double check the set up before rolling under.
I've now got a two-post lift....which I don't trust either. Should have chosen a four-poster.
DG

Sedgewick #1362350 Thu May 28 2020 12:59 AM
Master Gabster
Harbor Freight has a recall out on their jackstands because they can collapse.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Sedgewick #1362551 Fri May 29 2020 04:14 AM
F
Fox Offline
The greatest teacher failure is.
My coworker lost her father when his vehicle crushed him. Terrible. Always think, “This piece of machinery is trying to kill me” and you will act much more safely. It has saved my bacon a few times.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Sedgewick #1362800 Sat May 30 2020 08:43 PM
J
Shop Shark
Sedgewick, closest I’ve come was sheer stupidity. I was tearing down a 1 car garage to make room for a kitchen remodel. Figured I’d do it myself and save a buck.

I got inside and pulled the spring loaded garage door down. Figured there was no tension on the spring when the door was closed.
I removed a couple of lag screws and the mechanism virtually exploded. A two foot piece of angle iron flew up and hit the bill of my ball cap. If I’d been leaning 1 inch closer, it would have killed me, or at least removed my nose.

Thanx for the memories.

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Sedgewick #1362802 Sat May 30 2020 08:51 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Those garage door springs can be deadly. I replaced one once and it took a long time to wind it up (1/4 turn at a time - turn-tighten setscrew-reposition bar-loosen setscrew-turn----repeat) before it balanced the door. There's a LOT of stored energy in there.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Sedgewick #1362915 Sun May 31 2020 06:56 PM
S
Shop Shark
I have been under the truck countless times over the last 20 plus years. I never enjoyed it especially when rolling around with a grease gun in my hand and a trouble light to find the fittings.
I woke up that morning saying its time for a lube job. After much going over in my mind what I did or did not do. I know I was impatient and that was my downfall. Putting a jack stand within an inch of grass and not realizing it was the reason. I just wanted to get it done.
It was stupid because I am normally very cautious and plan each step. I wondered if the floor jack was still in place or had I removed it. I don't normally and although truck came down on its tires I must have. Then again I don't recall putting the floor jack back under.
Also the equipment I use to jack up the vehicle is top notch pro-quality. I own a pair of stamped steel jack stands which are okay for holding some things but never trusted them under my vehicles.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1362925 Sun May 31 2020 08:26 PM
H
Boltergeist
I built wooden supports for my jack stands from 2X8 pressure treated lumber cut several inches wider than the footprint of the base and crisscrossed so the wood is double thickness. If I'm supporting anything on a surface other than thick concrete (even asphalt) the load spreaders go under the stands. In paved pit areas at race tracks, I've seen jack stands bury themselves in the asphalt.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Sedgewick #1362930 Sun May 31 2020 09:05 PM
Boltergeist
I try learn from others mistakes......my dad ended up with 13 broken ribs and lucky to be alive.....while working on his truck by himself. Lucky for us the truck sits higher than a car or the outcome would have been different.

....still, when young and dumb I crawled under several vehicles with just a jack under it. Luckily I got a little smarter as the years went by and I now at least a dozen jack stands close at hand.
For a short period of time, I will use the jack stands but still put just a "tat" of pressure on the jack. I called it double protection...... I still see my dad wearing that "banding" on his ribs for a loooog time.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Sedgewick #1362933 Sun May 31 2020 09:11 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Drive on car ramps for the maintenance stuff if you have to lay on the ground. Still leave a jack under the front for safety.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop