The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (Clem Donahue, Gib70, Canadian_guy, 49shep, Achipmunk, 3B), 244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,938
Posts960,524
Members43,519
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DO NOT MOW!!!
#1362103 Tue May 26 2020 10:40 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Well fellas, it's been nice knowin' ya. That's just in case I try another dumb stunt
and don't make it the next time.

So I'm out mowin' this afternoon and I get to this hill with an old oak tree that was bowled
over in a storm 50 years ago and then it took root where it hit the ground. It's always been
a pain to mow as it's nearly at the bottom of a pretty steep grade that drops off about 10 or
12 feet in about 30 feet. To make things worse, it slopes in to were the tip of the tree started
it's new roots.
I normally would mow around this feature with the hand mower and trimmer. But, to day I thought
I'd try and get as close as I could with my new Zero-turn mower. I knew what sort of a situation I
could get myself in to if I got to close, the grade is so steep that once you start down you
have to keep it going because you're sort of 'side slipping' around the obstacle.
Well, today I misjudged and side slipped a 1,300 lb mower under the stump that's hanging down in
the middle and it wedged my head between the cut off branch and the hard seat back of the mower.
I ended up half dazed with tree bark stuck in everything that touched. Not only the left face but smashed
in the back of my right side and my head is all swollen there also. I put up my left arm as I knew I was
sliding into the stump sticking out and it tore a good sized chunk out my left wrist and dislocated that elbow.
The right arm fared a little better with just a few holes punched in it. My teeth got smashed into my cheek
so I can't eat and I'll probably be living on 'recoup soup' for some time, but I think all my choppers are ok.
Had that branch been down another inch or two or the mower been a little taller, I would have been trapped,
wedged under there till someone found me. No one was home when this happened and Sweetie face
never comes out to check up on me anyway. I was lucky though that it didn't smash my skull in, that would
have put an abrupt end to my quest to reach the big 100, then you wouldn't get to help me blow out those
candles Alvin!
I'm swollen, sore, face is burning, head ache is killin' me and I'm pretty sure my work in the barn is on hold
for a week or more.
I can say for sure that the yard work is done for at least couple of weeks.
So from this day forward......I'm gonna put a great big sign up on that hill.... DO NOT MOW!!!
And I think I'll just give the feature in my yard back to mother nature and let the weeds take over.
Denny G
Resting in Sandwich, IL

https://pbase.com/dennygraham/image/170743586
https://pbase.com/dennygraham/image/170743585

Re: DO NOT MOW!!!
Denny Graham #1362104 Tue May 26 2020 10:45 PM
B
Shop Shark
Get some goats!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 235 T5 3.73 dana 44
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
G.M dealer tech since 1980 & counting
Denny Graham #1362105 Tue May 26 2020 10:51 PM
W
Master Gabster
So sorry to see the damage. Take it easy.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Denny Graham #1362110 Tue May 26 2020 11:32 PM
Master Gabster
Holy carp Denny! Did ya not read the warning that come with ZTRs to stay away from slopes? Mine says nothing more than 15 deg slope max and that's going straight up and down. Sideways it's 5 deg. max.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Denny Graham #1362114 Tue May 26 2020 11:57 PM
L
Shop Shark
Denny, if you are not more careful you won't make your goal of 100 years on this earth. Looks like you tried to plant yourself alongside that oak. I am guessing you will be mighty sore for the next 3 days or so. You might consider anti inflammatory medicine to lessen the swelling and give you some pain relief. Your description didn't mention anything about losing consciousness; if you did you should consider having your noggin looked at. You don't want to suffer a subdural hematoma (clot on the brain). Sorry for all the medical nonsense but with my background I can't help thinking about these things.

Take it easy, we are all pulling for a rapid recovery.

Kent

Last edited by Lightholder's Dad; Tue May 26 2020 11:58 PM.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Denny Graham #1362119 Wed May 27 2020 12:11 AM
Shop Shark
Darn it Denny, I hope to follow in your footsteps.
Hope this is not what I have to look forward to!
Kick back and enjoy the sympathetic attention you will be getting.

Here is one of me after I slipped off the dock a few years ago.
https://i.imgur.com/UD5HVoS.jpg
Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Denny Graham #1362121 Wed May 27 2020 12:17 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
Supose I orta read the manual Tiny. You know the old saying, "If all else fails....read the instructions."

Tks, Kent. Din't pass out, but just a bit dazed from getting strained thru that arrangement of tree vs mower.
Wounds are gonna ooz for a while and should feel better when the swelling goes down. And I sprained a
bunch of muscles trying to hold off the onslaught.
DG

Denny Graham #1362127 Wed May 27 2020 12:32 AM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Denny
Sorry to hear about your mis-adventure. eek I just went back and looked at your pictures. I'll bet that hurts. big_eek
As far as mowing, hire some kid to do it for you. They are more rubber-like and heal quicker. We'll chip in for the expense. wink
Take care of your hurt self.

Last edited by klhansen; Wed May 27 2020 01:01 AM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Denny Graham #1362128 Wed May 27 2020 12:33 AM
H
Boltergeist
Denny, I sincerely hope you're going to swallow some pride and get checked out by a doctor, if that's allowed these days up there in lockdown land! Stubbornness is right next to deadness where possible internal injuries are concerned! That's why I've never considered getting a tattoo- - - -I can do enough self-mutilation by accident that I don't even want to think about doing it on purpose! Be safe!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Denny Graham #1362156 Wed May 27 2020 01:41 AM
ace skiver
darn, Denny

Be careful!

I should talk - my life almost ended last week - at the still-young age of 70.

I was on as tall ladder (12') in my tall-ceiling garage (the lower 14' end).
I had failed to lock the ladder-legs apart.
When I leaned a little, the ladder collapsed below me - I grabbed two rafters.

Now I was hanging several feet off the floor - all I could do was to drop to the floor (and then maybe count the broken bones).

Obviously, I lived - just two bruised heels. They were a littler tender to walk on - but, no breaks and no casts.

I am lucky as heck.

Jerry is correct - swallow your pride and go see a doctor.

I would have seen a doctor for my heels, if I could not easily walk after 24 hrs.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop