The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (SNOYL), 131 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,015
Posts952,756
Members43,313
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1954 3608 Flatbed
#1361477 Fri May 22 2020 03:37 PM
B
BLSully Offline OP
New Guy
So, my flatbed has some rust through. The cross-members (wrong term? lateral supports from edge to edge) are almost totally rotted out. The metal surround is OK and repairable for the bit of rust through they have. I've been looking around, emailed Mar-K, etc for where I might be able to get parts to repair mine, but have come up empty. Is my only option to find someone getting rid of a flatbed and scrounging for parts, or does someone out there make repro pieces? I really like the rounded corners and the "beaded" surround, I've had people suggest just putting a modern flatbed on it, but that kind of ruins the aesthetic I think.

My thoughts if parts aren't available:

1) Get some sheet steel and weld up new cross members. (or find someone who could bend them up out of one piece?)
2) Cut out the rot from the surrounds and a) weld in new sheet metal, b) find steel tube to match and weld it on to replicate the beading (fill, shape, paint). This would obviously be super tedious, but I'm not having any luck finding parts, so I'm trying to think of alternatives

An additional factor is I'd liked to widen the bed by ~4-5 inches so I can fill in where the previous owner cut out the bed rails to "fit" the duals. This would mean wider cross members (not a big deal), but more to the point, would require cutting and extending the rear surround to add the extra width.

What are your suggestions, bolters? Appreciate any other angle I might not be thinking about.

Attached Files
IMG_20200403_164635798.jpg (499.62 KB, 46 downloads)
Re: 1954 3608 Flatbed
BLSully #1363371 Wed Jun 03 2020 07:00 PM
F
Shop Shark
Cool old truck. Was the truck originally single rear wheel?
You may need to find a local fab shop to make some new cross members.

Professional Novice
Re: 1954 3608 Flatbed
BLSully #1363441 Thu Jun 04 2020 02:18 AM
O
Shop Shark
That is a great looking flat bed. in my opinion, you should do whatever it takes to save/reuse the "beaded surround" of the bed. Any decent fabrication shop should be able to replace the crossmembers. After owning a number of trucks with standard pickup beds, I now find that I much prefer flatbeds. Of my 4 trucks, 3 are flatbeds; a 1956 3800, a 1959 3800, and a 1979 C30.
Good luck in your quest to save the flatbed.

Oldbolter
1959 Apache 3800 dually flat bed/dump

1956 3800 dually flat bed/dump

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop