The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (1Ton_tommy, Fletcher Machine, GB69, five-oh, 3 invisible), 245 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,427
Posts973,538
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
216 Engine Noise
#1361162 Wed May 20 2020 08:25 PM
Master Gabster
I finally conquered the rattling sound that has plagued my 1938 216 for over three years. I have had a fairly loud rattle that comes alive at say 30 mph and above. It used to quiet down some when the engine got warm in the summer. Two years ago I overhauled the motor because of a scored cylinder that existed from the time I purchased it in 2015. I bored it, installed new pistons and rods. I thought by the look of one of the rods that it may have had a little twist to it. When all was assembled, the rattle was still there. Last year I installed all nos rockers and examined all the lifters. The noise persisted. This spring I went to do another valve adjustment and discovered that #5 intake had over .020 clearance. I adjusted it and the rattle almost disappeared. So I examined the pushrod itself. The top socket that the rocker ball fits into had worn down and receded, to the extent that the rod was actually captive on the rocker ball! In addition it was worn so deeply that the range of motion was limited. I replaced the pushrod along with several others and the noise is finally gone!

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: 216 Engine Noise
truckernix #1361164 Wed May 20 2020 08:38 PM
H
Boltergeist
That's a pretty common problem, and one that's not obvious to an external inspection. Quite often, the problem is actually a worn pivot ball on the adjusting screw, resulting in a tip that protrudes down into the pushrod socket. The rocker arm adjusting screw must be backed off far enough to see the wear on the tip of the ball. In an extreme situation, the socket end of the pushrod can break due to insufficient pivoting of the ball in the pushrod cup. Fortunately, the thread on the rockers is common to other engines, (7/16-20) so adjusting screws from some Ford and/or Mopar engines will work in place of the very scarce (and expensive) stovebolt adjusting screws.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
truckernix #1361191 Thu May 21 2020 12:37 AM
Master Gabster
Jerry, you explained that pretty well, as usual! I did replace some of the adjusters with NOS ones as some were quite worn. The worn ones formed a pattern that looked like a little eye . It almost looked like the center had worn down to a separate layer. I probably made the problem worse by introducing the newer ball end in a socket that was worn by a worn out ball.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
truckernix #1361483 Fri May 22 2020 03:58 PM
D
Shop Shark
Cleaning out the barn I found what I believe are original 216 push rods. I need help from the Stovebolt group on identification. I can send them to you no charge, shipping probably will be cheep with USPS. Doc

Currently making 1954 3100 better than new
truckernix #1361490 Fri May 22 2020 04:55 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Notice: buying, selling, bartering, trading or exchanging of parts should be done by Private Message or within the Swap Meet Forum. Doing so in the Garage Forums is a violation of site rules. Thank you.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop