The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Fixing the old truck

BUSY BOLTERS
Are you one?
Not a hanging chad... The Shop Area
continues to pull in the most views on the Stovebolt. In August alone there were over 36,294 views in those 12 forums.

Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, rpat356sc, 6571, stlcardinalsguy, Patharr, Gdads51), 207 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
The Zone
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics123,442
Posts999,498
Members47,277
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1361088 Wed May 20 2020 12:51 PM
O
'Bolter

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
In the DITY Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Veteran of the USAF
My Website [zippi6.wixsite.com]
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Do you have to have the original receipt?

Thanks

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
I would think that you would not need a receipt.
They have your phone number and should be able to look it up and see what you actually paid for them.
I have a pair that I bought on sale with a coupon. They will want to give the credit at the sale price instead of the full price.
And I would rather have the cash back, instead of a gift card that I have to use in their store.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
1954 Plymouth Belvidere
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
1976 Triumph TR-6
L
'Bolter
I always joke about HF "There are two long lines at Harbor Freight. One is the checkout line at the cash register. The other is the product return line."

Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
O
'Bolter
Just took mine back. Money was put back on my CC. No receipt was needed.

Last edited by olezippi; Wed May 20 2020 02:27 PM.

"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
In the DITY Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Veteran of the USAF
My Website [zippi6.wixsite.com]
B
Sir Searchalot
I have some, but they are 5-7 years old. No numbers left on them.? Mine are 6T red not gray. Never noticed the recall list til now. There are 13 items on the list. Thanks ole

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by bartamos
I have some, but they are 5-7 years old. No numbers left on them.? Mine are 6T red not gray. Never noticed the recall list til now. There are 13 items on the list. Thanks ole
I'd take them in and see if they will swap them or at least refund you. Then you could go buy dependable(?) (other Chinese?) jack stands. We don't want to hear about you squished under a Stovebolt. big_eek

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
S
Shop Shark
Thanks olezippi for keeping everyone safe.

My wife saw this on FaceBook and told me about it this morning. I was actually going onto the Stovebolt to post it and I see that you are already on top of it.

I just took mine back to the store and they gave me a gift card that I used to purchase another "New" 6-Ton set online. Hopefully these new ones will not be recalled. They did not have any jack stands my HF store.

Due to the safety issues involved, I cannot see where they would have any issues returning them and crediting you as long as you can prove that the stands are the ones listed in the recall.

Phillip

1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." and "To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
B
Sir Searchalot
Just checked mine again. Mine are PowerBuilt brand. Look the same. I read where the problem was that the tooling for the pawl was worn out. Maybe that's true maybe not. Anyway, I'm good.

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

A
'Bolter
Also just saw this today on youtub and fortunately lucked out. If your numbers are off, check out the youtube video MurphyLawGarage…..he explains and demonstrates the problem. I checked mine anyway vs. the video. Pretty sad they would put that crap out.

Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

Bubba - Curmudgeon
I received a letter yesterday from Harbor Freight. I bought four of those 2-ton/3-ton stands 8 or more years ago (from my NY old/former address).

The letter was addressed to me at my new NC address.

Bring in the old stands for refund and gift coupon - receipt needed. I now live 45 miles from a Harbor Freight store but, I will stop in on my next trip to that area.

Tim
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Looks like a good HARD KICK UPWARDS on the lock-lever [youtu.be], when the jack is lifting the truck, causes the lever/lock to release.

When the jack is not lifting anything, a light movement up of the lever causes the lever/lock to release.

Tim
G
Insomniac
Often, you will find off-shore built tools sold under a variety of brands. I wonder if these come from the same manufacturer, only with different paint and labels:

Princess Auto Jack Stand [princessauto.com]

Last edited by Gord&Fran; Sun May 24 2020 09:24 PM.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
B
Sir Searchalot
I wondered that also. They do know what factory had the bad "tooling" (worn wooden pattern). The ratchet teeth were not deep enough and the pawl tip not sharp enough, Probably should have used a better material for the pattern. 1.7 million harbor Freight stands affected. They don't know when it wore to the point of failure so had to recall all of them.
You can really see a huge difference in the Harbor Freight recall picture ratchet teeth and the PrincessAuto ratchet teeth compared to that YouTube video ratchet teeth at 9:58 minutes and up.
On the PrincessAuto pic you can zoom in on the single stand photo.

Just went out and looked at the teeth on my PowerBuilt stands. I guess they look OK.

G
Insomniac
So, buyer beware and look for the deep ratchet teeth when buying. (Also scary is Harbor Freight clerk not wearing COVID mask properly)

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Originally Posted by Gord&Fran
(Also scary is Harbor Freight clerk not wearing COVID mask properly)

A common occurrence in stores/services where I live (unfortunately).

Tim
M
'Bolter
HF just sent me an email July 7th 2020...they are now recalling some of the replacement stands...

"we've identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We're now adding these jack stands to our recall."

Mike B smile

Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod [stovebolt.com]
1956 8400 Wrecker w/Holmes 525 [stovebolt.com]
1956 9200 Tractor w/Allison Automatic [stovebolt.com]
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1953 Willys M38A1 Fire Jeep
1978 CJ-5 Navy Jeep
+++++
Hughesville, MD
Bubba - Curmudgeon
I am glad I have not not yet taken the 120 mile round trip to the HF store (to replace the defective stands).

Tim
D
Unconventional Thinker
I didn't take mine back, but I bought some TEQ 6 ton stands from Carquest.

Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
The front end of the big GMC fire truck that I drove to Kansas City a few years ago sat on two of those HF stands for a few weeks with both front wheels removed while I rebuilt the brakes. That was probably a pretty good test, but I'm going to inspect them carefully before I use them any more. If it's simply a matter of looking at the engagement of the ratchet pawl, the simple approach would be to fix what I've got. An angle grinder and a little judicious polishing will make them better than new, IMHO.
Jerry

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
W
'Bolter
I used 2 jack stands per side when I worked on the front end. If I'm leaving the tires on, I feel OK with 1 per side.

Attached Images
Two Jack Stands.jpg (32.69 KB, 78 downloads)

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

31 Years of Daily Driving. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Originally Posted by tclederman
I am glad I have not not yet taken the 120 mile round trip to the HF store (to replace the defective stands).

I brought 4 six ton stands and 4 three tons stand to Harbor Freight in Chesapeake, VA about a week ago.
I had no receipts.
I walked away with cash in my pocket.

Tim
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Originally Posted by Wally / Montana
I used 2 jack stands per side when I worked on the front end. If I'm leaving the tires on, I feel OK with 1 per side.
I don't think I'd trust that smaller one to stay put if the larger one failed. It would probably squirt out from under the spring. eek

Kevin
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop