The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (Hoff, delky, 5 Window 9434, Gary1952, 46chevinline6, DennisM, 1 invisible), 189 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,178
Posts980,040
Members44,165
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Front Panel Slot
#1360745 Sun May 17 2020 07:47 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
We are working to get a '49 3100 back on the road. Our work currently is focused on trial fitting the box, fenders, running boards and splash aprons. Then it all comes apart for final paint.

The front panel of the bed has 2 flanges that attach to each side of the bed. Obviously there are multiple round holes that align to connect the sides to the front.

There is also an elongated slot in each flange of the front panel near the bottom. There is no corresponding feature in the front end of the side panels.

What is the purpose of those slots?

We were able to reuse the original front panel. I do not see those slots in the replacement panels available these days.

Thanks for the help.

Rusty
Re: Front Panel Slot
TBUChevy #1360772 Sun May 17 2020 10:55 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
I recall those slots when I took my bed apart. I don't recall any bolts in them.

I think the slots may be there to make people ask questions. wink

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
TBUChevy #1360786 Sun May 17 2020 11:56 PM
Master Gabster
A look back in truck model history may lead to the answer. If they continued using the punch machine setup from an earlier model truck for the AD trucks, changing that setup for the new model which did not require the slots would cost time. Time is money.
A similar deal puzzles me with the front and rear bumpers with the extra, unused center hole. There was even a dummy bolt for plugging the extra center hole. It was held on by a push-on 'dang it' clip.
Carl

TBUChevy #1360810 Mon May 18 2020 03:24 AM
B
General Purpose
Chances are the American made panels using American made tooling used them for tooling holes. The Chinese tooling doesn't need them.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.

TBUChevy #1360874 Mon May 18 2020 06:57 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
If the goal was to make people ask questions they succeeded!

Thanks for the confirmation that there is no functional impact for those slots. I did wonder if they were related to tooling or some other step in the manufacturing process.

I tried to look at backwards compatibility but hit a road block Both copies of the 29 - 54 Master Parts list that I can access do not have page 779. The online manual has a blank image for that page. The CD copy I have has 2 pages 780 but no 779!

The problem we have is that the outer portion of the slot on the right side somehow got broken away over the year. So we either need to repair that or decide to fill the slots on both sides.

I also agree with "why the center hole in the bumper". Lots of years and models (cars & trucks) have that

Rusty
TBUChevy #1361069 Wed May 20 2020 04:27 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
Symmetry? And yes, I know it’s symmetrical without the bolt too, people with arsses who are smart. 😉 My homemade bumper bracket has a hole for it!

I’m also guessing tooling line up as well like Bartamos. This is not quite the same as the slots, but I once read a thread about the two little holes on the top underside of the door opening on an AD cab. Someone dug out an old factory photo showing a special jig that slipped into this two holes which allowed the cab to be lifted quite level. I’ve never tried them, but it made sense once you saw them in use.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop