The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (carbking, HandyAndy, GB69, buoymaker, Bill Trotter, 2 invisible), 255 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,445
Posts973,671
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Latch problem. Rebuild?
#1360610 Sat May 16 2020 07:48 PM
E
Shop Shark
On the drivers side latch for my '48 GMC with exterior pull down door handle. One thing leads to another. I purchased new door panels for 'Speedy', pulled the interior door handle and window crank and removed the old panel. I saw that the relay was adjusted improperly which explained why I could never lock the door. Easy enough to adjust and the lock now works correctly and smoothly.

However, now--for the first time--the outside door handle doesn't work! It moves just a little bit but feels as if the lock is engaged and doesn't move far enough to trip the latch. With the window rolled down I looked at the latch from the top and could see that the outside handle is attached to the latch and does turn a little bit before it stops. I tried it both locked and unlocked by the relay but it feels exactly the same either way.

I did a search but didn't find any specific information for this problem. A couple of you guys talked about taking a latch apart and rebuilding it but I'm mystified about how to do that. I
don't have a clue about how you did that! Looks like I'd be prying on things and hurting myself when the tool inevitably slips. I seem to remember seeing a good explanation of how the latches work, with pictures, but I'm unable to find it. There is a good tech tip article here on Stovebolt regarding the latches but I'm not getting the info I'm looking for.

Any ideas about a solution for this problem? Where can I look for more information?

Thanks, Jim

Re: Latch problem. Rebuild?
Eureka Jim #1360654 Sun May 17 2020 01:23 AM
B
Shop Shark
This may help.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/albums/72157641244124604
If you determine the latch is not workable I would suggest replacement with NOS only not a reproduction.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/15614660466/in/album-72157631868452754/

Re: Latch problem. Rebuild?
Eureka Jim #1360671 Sun May 17 2020 06:48 AM
E
Shop Shark
Thank you Brad, the first link you provide, '1948 Servicing Truck Cabs', is what I had seen but not remembered the source. I got a couple of parts latches from Jerry Rivers so maybe between them and the one on my truck I can figure a way to make one of them work. I'll start by re-adjusting the relay for the lock. It might be that I adjusted it too far and somehow that affected the function of the outside handle. I'm still hoping someone has fixed the same problem I'm experiencing and knows what I need to do!

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop