The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Ga92009, 9% grade, Texas Hussy, Harold46, JiMerit Boltr#43, Raineman), 244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,335
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Teaching
#1360359 Fri May 15 2020 02:16 AM
C
Shop Shark
Something I was always too impatient to do. If someone didn't catch on instantly I'd take away the tools and do it myself which meant I was punishing myself by cutting the work output in half. Old age, muscle loss, and especially fading eyesight has brought about a change. One project in the shop needed a different bolt pattern drilled in the rear axle flange and brake rotor so I showed one of the young guys how to scribe a 4.75 bolt circle on the axle flange with the lathe and then mount the axle to the index table on the mill. The first bolt hole was drilled exactly centered on the scribed line and then was indexed 72 degrees for the other four holes. This gave a 5 on 4.75 bolt circle to match the front wheel pattern. Same for the rotor. When done he looked at me and said "that was easy". Felt as good as if I'd done it all myself.

Evan
Re: Teaching
coilover #1360363 Fri May 15 2020 02:44 AM
M
Wrench Fetcher
My grandpa was a master mechanic and although he had no time for those that thought they knew it all, he loved to teach. The art of the mechanic that didnt have to hook up a cord to diagnose he said was slowly dying off. On occasion an apprentice would take some time and gain a little gold nugget of info from him. The experienced techs kept coming back asking for more whenever the opportunity arose. Although I turned out to be more into the finance world and nothing more than a bolt twister for fun, I was lucky to learn what I did from him. He gave me guidance but let me make mistakes to learn from which is the best trait of all good teachers. Got my passion for working on these hunks of metal from him, just wish he was still here to see my truck back on the road this year.

Passed away last August unfortunately. I'm hoping that by the 1 year anniversary I can pull the truck out and go for a cruise to say goodbye and spread his ashes. He always thought that teaching leaves a legacy, and us guys that are a generation or two behind need more of what you took the time to do. Good on you and thanks for sharing your experience.

coilover #1360375 Fri May 15 2020 03:47 AM
H
Boltergeist
So far, I've spent 40+ years passing a few "obsolete" skills along to anyone willing to take some time to learn them. I was fortunate enough to grow up around a bunch of old geezers who worked for my father, guys who had been fixing cars since the 1920's, including one who had actually been trained as a blacksmith before moving on to automobiles. I'm also the middle of three generations of automotive teachers- - - -my father, myself, and my son. Now that I'm "retired", my latest project is trying to pass a little of that knowledge along to my grandson. He's coming along pretty well, for a young whippersnapper!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
coilover #1360378 Fri May 15 2020 04:14 AM
J
J M Offline
Shop Shark
We all had mentors along the way. I was very fortunate. My family owned the local Chevrolet dealership that started as a blacksmith shop in the early 1900's and progressed into the farm implement and automobile dealership as time went on. We closed the blacksmith shop in 1954 when the blacksmith retired and there were no replacements for him. There was still work, but no blacksmiths.
We all had mentors and mine was our shop foreman. He had forgotten more then I will ever know and he helped me a lot.I also spent time at an independent shop that did everything from welding to farm equipment and cars and trucks.It helped me diversify as well. I spent my career as a mechanic, and tried to pass some of the knowledge on to my son. He worked as a line mechanic for about 14 years and now is in charge of the gravel operation at a gravel pit. He still does a lot of welding and maintenance work on the equipment. It was a very satisfying career and hope it is for my son as well.
Jim

Last edited by J M; Sat May 16 2020 03:33 AM.
coilover #1360405 Fri May 15 2020 01:40 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Well listening to all you old geezers this morning reminds me of my hope for the next 23 years.
Daughter finally decided to make me a grandpapa a year ago last March. Yep, it's a he and he's
now walkin' and starting to talk and man is he mesmerized by the cars when we plop down in
front of the confuser and watch the races or Jay Leno's garage.
My one an only took after her mother, that is, both are mechanically declined, as have been
all of her suitors over the years. So....I was beginning to think there would be no one to leave
the empire too..... till last year.
Now....I gotta hope I can stay alive long enough and well enough to keep him interested in
mechanics till he graduates with his masters degree in automotive engineering.
I work with a 100 year old lath and milling machines from WWII. Most of the machines in the
shop are restored orphans which when worn out were tossed by others. My dad was one of
those old school mechanics, taught in the 20's like HRL mentioned and he taught my big bro
and me many of the old ways of doing things. Hope I can keep those skills alive in this, the
next generation. Having the opportunity to share some of what I've learned over my lifetime
working with my hands is what's kept me here on the 'Bolt over the past 14 years
Ya'll have a good day.....and wash your hands!!!!!
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

coilover #1360422 Fri May 15 2020 04:05 PM
W
Master Gabster
thumbs_up

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
coilover #1360457 Fri May 15 2020 09:24 PM
T
Shop Shark
Denny that boy is in for a ride of his life you will both enjoy you have more time with grandchildren

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
coilover #1360517 Sat May 16 2020 02:24 AM
Master Gabster
Teaching is not easy. One needs to have a lot of patience. When you run into the road block of the student's inability to catch on to the lesson at hand, you need to be able to take a step back and start over without discouraging the student. To me, that is the difference between a good teacher and one which is not. It doesn't matter if you are teaching brain surgery or how to catch fish, you need to keep the mental state of the student positive if you expect to get results.

coilover #1360551 Sat May 16 2020 11:38 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
You mean you can't beat it into them Carl?????

Seriously, you're right on. Not much different than teaching your dog
how to do tricks. Without patience and consistency you got a
run-a-way pet who won't learn or obey anything.
Never had much patience with my 'big old wife'.....maybe that's why.....
she won't obey anything her master says.
Sorry Peg......I'zz just kiddin'. Sweetie face is really the best, and....our
14 year old puggle is the best buddy I could ask for.
dg

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop