The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (Achipmunk, 52Carl, DennisM, Brian_Ostner, 60ApacheC20, D B Cooper), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,545
Posts966,246
Members43,693
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: motor mounts: need some help :(
bartamos #1358554 Mon May 04 2020 05:49 PM
P
Shop Shark
So I got my bolts for the motor mounts. I now have some other questions:

1. I now need a water pump. I considered getting an aluminum one, but the Jegs and Summit ones apparently leak or are poorly cast. Anyone using one of those or recommend another? I'm trying to stay around $100 for the part.

2. I love the old quiet Pete Jackson gear drives, and thought about throwing one in my 350. I keep reading though that they have issues after a while. anyone have thoughts on them?

Thanks!
pan3lman

1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
pan3lman #1359200 Fri May 08 2020 05:59 AM
D
Shop Shark
You don't say what engine you are working on .

Have you tried Rock Auto ?

pan3lman #1359223 Fri May 08 2020 02:00 PM
T
Shop Shark
Do you have the pulleys and mounting brackets for the accessories?
The reason I ask is there are two different water pumps, a long and a short.The brackets and pulleys may differ for each one. Makes it hard to get belts lined up. I'm not a big fan but, You may want to think about the serpentine set up from a later model motor, everything lines up, and only one belt.

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
pan3lman #1359358 Sat May 09 2020 02:36 PM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy pan31man, I am a bit late to make my comments, but I feel they are important to make. Back in the mid to late sixties there were incidents of throttle locking in either forward or reverse from a stop, these incidents caused a lot of accidents, It turns out that these incidents were caused by engine mounts that had failed, the steel plates separated from the rubber element, this allowed the engine to lift up when torque developed, this pulled on the throttle and sometimes the engine did not fall back down where it belonged leaving the engine revving. The factory fix was a kit with a bracket that bolted to the two forward exhaust manifold bolts there was also a cable which was wrapped around the upper control arm crosshaft and back to the bracket, this limited the upward movement of the engine if the mount failed. The factory discontinued the original mount, the new mount was designed with interlocking metal pieces so that if the rubber element failed in any way the engines movement would be extremely limited. A few months ago I went into my FLAPS to buy a mount kit and I was flabbergasted to find the original mount design in the box, I told the countermen these mounts were discontinued because they caused accidents when they failed, of coarse they were too young to remember. I am sorry that I do not have the part number of the interlocking mount to give you, but I strongly advise you not to use the non interlocking design mount which I have seen in your posted pictures

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop