The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (reidy, CrowbarBob, Rusty Shackleford, klhansen), 211 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,340
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sick and Tired of it
Achipmunk #1358014 Fri May 01 2020 12:34 AM
D
Extreme Gabster
We could be brothers Alvin. Growing up we didn't have running water, got it in milk cans from the corner store.
No plumbing in the house till I was about 10. I remember taking a bath in a galvanized utility tub in the kitchen.
Big bro went first, then me and little sis was in a tub of her own.
My daughter just turned 37 and just finished paying off her school loans for her bachelor and master degrees.
Wern't no forgiveness there, and she never complained about paying it back either. Same thing with Sweetie face,
we paid back all we borrowed for her bachelor degree. Me.....school of hard knocks, din't have to borrow a dime.
DG

Denny Graham #1358047 Fri May 01 2020 04:16 AM
S
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Denny Graham
Haven't read all of this thread, but I have read enough
that I think I've got the gist of it.
This little line has been hanging in my shop ever since
I was a boy.....
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”
Boyd K. Packer
.....along with a diminishing "Plan Ahead" sign, who's letters
are crowded into the right side of the sign.

They accuse me of being a hoarder....but for a couple of
months now, I've been hunkered down in my nest, which
I worked and saved 77 years for. And other than milk,
bread and beer every few weeks........I don't need nothin'
from no one!!!!

The generations that followed me, must never had the "Three
Little Pigs" read to them when they were tots.

So go ahead and collect your stimulus, I'll be here to pay
for your mismanagement for the rest of my 23 years.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Wow...this site never fails to amaze me. We have so much in common. I am the preserver/conservator for our family’s things that would otherwise be thrown out. I have also been labeled as hoarder, but I love it when I can find most everything I need in PG’s, or Phillip’s garage.

Now I realize what you meant by “not much” in another post.

P.S.
I was just thinking about the “Three Little Pigs” before I decided to post this.

1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." and "To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
Achipmunk #1358211 Sat May 02 2020 04:15 AM
F
Fox Offline
The greatest teacher failure is.
I am much younger than you fellas, but my Dad grew up the same way as you. No running water, family of 7 in a two room house, had very little but never went without. He and my mom always taught us the lessons you have all preached here and I’m sure glad I listened. It is very valuable...and simple. I see both ends of the spectrum as a teacher during this pandemic with my students and their families. It is terribly sad on one hand, but there are stories/lessons on the other that should be taken to heart.

Mom always said, “No job is beneath you. It’s work. Roll up your sleeves and get to it.”
Beekeeping, painting, mowing grass, general labourer, electrician apprentice, oilfield maintenance, oilfield relief operator, rig building as a lease, motor, derrick hand and asset tracking, education degree, teaching. Work hard and good luck comes. Don’t and... well, you’ll make your bed. Mom always said, if you want a dirt bike, you’d better start working harder. It took me 3 years to buy a bike.

Thanks Mom!....Good grief my mom and dad are smart! 🤔

I think that’s part of the problem. People always want the quick fix, I’m entitled to it now solution. Help me! Help yourself in a lot of cases. Not all, but some.

Rant over.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Achipmunk #1358228 Sat May 02 2020 01:14 PM
P
Shop Shark
Unfortunately too many Americans don't have the financial literacy to save money for hard times or for retirement. Here is just one of many articles addressing the issue:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...e-living-paycheck-to-paycheck-2020-01-07

I feel bad about the plight of many during this pandemic though as at times in my life I have been very close to the edge financially. An unexpected downturn like right now would have put me in a real bind. I recall once when early on my own, my wife and I had to return some items at the grocery store checkout line because we didn't have enough money for everything. It was embarrassing and humbling. I also remember signing the paperwork on our first house and wondering how on earth we could possibly survive with that high of a mortgage as it was more than 50% of our combined income, and the house was no Taj Mahal. I also recall quitting a full time job to go back to graduate school, when rice and beans once again became common meals. Fortunately I never carried much debt other than a mortgage and occasionally a car payment. We have been both lucky and fortunate but we have always known that saving for hard times was important. Perhaps it was dumb luck for me that as a small kid I fell upon the Aesop fables, and this one evidently left a mark in my small mind: http://read.gov/aesop/052.html

I know some people that have annual household incomes of $150,000 and more that live paycheck to paycheck!

Last edited by Paul_WNC; Sat May 02 2020 01:17 PM.
Achipmunk #1358248 Sat May 02 2020 03:47 PM
W
Master Gabster
I have a friend, actually, I have 2, well I do, the one and I were discussing the other. He is older than I am, we both work with the other one. His comment was she caused the situation herself, and he is exactly right but she will never see it. When the business we both worked at closed suddenly she was at a loss to know what to do. But when opportunities came along she said, I did not get a college degree to do that. Even though it could have been a stepping stone until something else came along. Now at the early Social Security age, she is talking about taking it. I could go on but you get the point I hope. ohwell

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Achipmunk #1358328 Sun May 03 2020 04:17 AM
J
New Guy
Its human nature to spend what you have and live in the moment. Denying yourself a little gratification in the present in order to save for tomorrow isn't common in this country. I used to be that way until I wised up in my mid twenties and remembered the lessons of hard work and financial responsibility taught to me by my father (Vietnam Vet, hard worker, kinda a prepper). Lucky for me, both the Great Recession of '09 and whatever this disaster is called have happened after I removed my head from my **** and did things right.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop