The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (bluesman, DS1957GMC, Abelsclassic, artinva, 3B, 1 invisible), 190 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,957
Posts969,687
Members43,802
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sick and Tired of it
Achipmunk #1357783 Wed Apr 29 2020 06:19 PM
Shop Shark
Being poor is not bad, it's just an inconvenience. Quote from my Dad!

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Achipmunk #1357837 Wed Apr 29 2020 11:53 PM
S
Shop Shark
I feel for those living paycheck to paycheck. But when I see the line of cars waiting for food baskets, most of them are pretty new high end SUVs. I guess they never saved for a rainy day.
Nonetheless it is tough for many people, especially those with young children who got their breakfasts at school. Now they can't. What is equally hard to accept is the farmer destroying his crops because restaurants are not buying or even euthanizing live stock for the same reason.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Achipmunk #1357841 Thu Apr 30 2020 12:39 AM
W
Master Gabster
You preach it Sedgewick and I will turn the pages. I have to go by the giveaway site and you are exactly correct.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Achipmunk #1357875 Thu Apr 30 2020 04:39 AM
S
Shop Shark
Well said Alvin.

I have always tried to be self sufficient as much as possible and to save for a rainy day. These traits were instilled in me by my my parents and I thank them for it, especially now during these trying times. I also taught these values to my children and I am so very proud of how they are handling this situation.

Our parents were very wise and suffered through so much to gain the wisdom they instilled in us. I, like you, worry that too much enabling may not be the best thing. I am sure help is needed for many, but how that help is dispersed is key to helping us to prepare and to be ready for the future.

Thank you,
Phillip

Last edited by SmithLakeChevy; Fri May 01 2020 03:39 AM. Reason: Mispelling

1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." and "To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
Achipmunk #1357898 Thu Apr 30 2020 01:08 PM
D
Extreme Gabster
Haven't read all of this thread, but I have read enough
that I think I've got the gist of it.
This little line has been hanging in my shop ever since
I was a boy.....
“Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”
Boyd K. Packer
.....along with a diminishing "Plan Ahead" sign, who's letters
are crowded into the right side of the sign.

They accuse me of being a hoarder....but for a couple of
months now, I've been hunkered down in my nest, which
I worked and saved 77 years for. And other than milk,
bread and beer every few weeks........I don't need nothin'
from no one!!!!

The generations that followed me, must never had the "Three
Little Pigs" read to them when they were tots.

So go ahead and collect your stimulus, I'll be here to pay
for your mismanagement for the rest of my 23 years.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; Thu Apr 30 2020 01:13 PM.
Achipmunk #1357937 Thu Apr 30 2020 04:44 PM
Boltergeist
Denny, I'm familiar with Boyd K. Packer. Unfortunately he passed away not to long ago.

There is so much to say.....I'll add this, John. I remember vividly my mothers (born 1913) telling me about the depression. How she would use honey from her dads honey bee' hives to sweeten things. How we ate black eyed peas many days a week and how she made my sisters some dresses out of the flour sacks. I watched her as she hand quilted quilts at night and the list goes on. She taught us well. (my dad died when I was 15 at age 50) I've been told i was "programmed to work" and also that I am a "fix it man" by counselors years ago. Well, not being afraid of work has served me well. Growing up we not only farmed but my daddy would buy a slab pile, if you know what that is, and we'd cut the slabs up and established a wood route and peddled wood each weekend. I still remember well how i'd knock on the door and when someone ask "who is it" I'd reply... "wood man, you want to buy some good dry wood". I'd then hold up my fingers to my dad and move on to the next house. Heck, we'd even go around buying up scrap iron and rags....yes, rags. Back then we'd buy/sell both scrape metal and rags. There was a separate place for the cloth called "the rag house". Whew, I could go on an on......we'd chop up old vehicles with hack saws and axes. We also would but pulp wood.......on and on.

At the urging of my children I have been writing "my book" which I call "Legends of a Country Boy" so my grandchildren can have a peek at days gone by as their parents teach them. Some of the stories seem unbelievable.....but I was there!
Yes Denny, "use it up, wear it out....do with or do without".

I'd also like to make a comment though it may seem like bragging. With all the ying yang about school debts and loans being forgiven by the government makes my blood boil. My kids went to both, private and state colleges/universities, and graduated without owning anyone one red cent. THEY WORKED. One worked TWO jobs, one took 5 years to get degree, but they do not make payments and NOT in debt. Currently driving cars 6-13 years old. Oh, and they went back to school while working full time jobs and got their Master Degree's. One at night and the other driving many miles each week to do it. One, at age 48 is currently working on her Masters "plus 30 hours". When i ask each of them how they are fixed financially they both reply "we have sufficient for our needs,.....do you need something"?

OK.....I'll go back in hiding. You'll have to read my book if I can ever get it finished.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Achipmunk #1357949 Thu Apr 30 2020 05:45 PM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Alvin

Good stuff. Put me down for a copy of your book. Sounds interesting. Maybe some day it'll be in the "Self Help" section for those who need it.

I recall hearing the term "rag pickers" way back when. Never needed to do that though.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Achipmunk #1357955 Thu Apr 30 2020 06:32 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
Alvin/Denny -- You guys are preaching to the choir. The generations coming along now will never read it. A lot of people I know under 50 (who aren't Stovebolters) don't hesitate for a moment to throw away things that aren't meeting the original requirement anymore (and boy, isn't THAT bar set low these days). And their kids? Those kids will look at your book like we look at books that show you how to live and eat like a caveman and think, "Dude ... Seriously?? Who'd want to do THAT?"

Go ahead and write the book. But don't get your hopes up about any of these kids reading it ...unless you put it on Audible ...

John
"There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes..."

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Achipmunk #1357996 Thu Apr 30 2020 11:04 PM
S
Shop Shark
Speaking off today's generation. I am a tool nut and have way too many duplicates and triplicates of almost everything. A friend suggested I make up a tool box for my grandson who is five. I asked his dad if he would like one as well. The answer was no thanks!
My late wife was a talented musician and had a collection of both sheet music and hard cover books about music theory, famous musicians and so on. I approached the city library telling them these books are pristine and could they use them. The answer was no, thanks but if I want to donate them the library could put them in their annual book sale. Books which were worth a heck of a lot more than the one dollar the library would get.
When my wife was learning a new piece she would go out and buy the sheet music. Other people just photocopied theirs. I also tried giving away the sheet music books but nobody wanted them. Music it seems is all on line and I see people playing piano using an iPad.
Its a different world and fortunately I won't be around in 30 years to experience it. Or 20 years!

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Achipmunk #1358004 Thu Apr 30 2020 11:35 PM
Shop Shark
Bought about 40 books a couple months ago in an on line auction.
All are about WW-II. Read just a couple so far. Warm weather makes me go outside!
Once I read one, I sign it and give it away to someone that will read it.

Here is a good one!
https://www.amazon.com/Forever-Flying-High-flying-Barnstorming-Autobiography/dp/067153761X

Another one I just finished.
https://www.amazon.com/Centennial-A...mp;qid=1588289684&s=books&sr=1-4

Just started reading this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Old-Breed-At...mp;qid=1588290067&s=books&sr=1-1

Don

Last edited by 2-Ton; Thu Apr 30 2020 11:42 PM.

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pix on Photobucket [s893.photobucket.com]
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop