The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (JD1, 66rollback, 4112YR, Dragsix, 2 invisible), 192 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,149
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
surface rust repair questions
#1355595 Fri Apr 17 2020 12:09 AM
Shop Shark
Feel free to post any links..... I have several basic questions as this is my first major restoration. I posted a picture of a rear fender under side view. This is average rust found in this truck. 1960 Apache C20 Step Side

This truck has surface rust everywhere, including hard to get at spots like door interiors and under the hood. I am open to suggestions including dipping as best option.

For the easy areas like the fenders I am just looking at options such as sanding with an electric sander (heavy angle grinder) verses the high speed air sanders. I have the large angle grinder but really worry I may take off more than the rust.

Wire wheels: the knotty stuff verses straight wires on areas such as the cowl and vents where there is a lot of area you cannot get with sand paper. Or any other good way to remove the rust.

I am posting a separate question about short term primer to cover the freshly sanded areas......

Attached Files
DSC_1080 (2).JPG (513.07 KB, 193 downloads)
Re: surface rust repair questions
60ApacheC20 #1355602 Fri Apr 17 2020 12:43 AM
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
The problem with sanders and wire wheels is you can't get in the nooks and crannies. Wire wheels also don't get into the rust pits.
Media blasting would be best in my opinion. I'm sure others will have different opinions
If you're going to use sanders or wire wheels, I would use a rust converting product like Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. It won't work for long though if you leave it out in the weather and don't top coat it.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
60ApacheC20 #1355607 Fri Apr 17 2020 01:02 AM
K
Shop Shark
For a 1960 fender 60 yrs old looks pretty good,I would wire brush the underside the best you can then use a rust converter such as rust mort then put a rust paint such as tremclad or rust oleum . Or you can use the magnetic type paint such as por 15 or chassis saver ,they also need to be painted over as they are uv sensitive .As for the top side lots of sanding and prep before paint

kevinski 1954 GMC 9300 Welcome to the virtual Garage
60ApacheC20 #1355643 Fri Apr 17 2020 03:35 AM
J
Workshop Owner
Be careful when media blasting. Thin sheet metal can easily warp if done incorrectly.

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos! [flickr.com]

60ApacheC20 #1355663 Fri Apr 17 2020 12:36 PM
M
Shop Shark
My approach would be to media blast by a qualified person, followed by coating with epoxy primer. Skip the rattle can junk as it will not prevent moisture from getting to your metal, and would have to come off again. Put good stuff on once and you won't have to redo it.. You can mix epoxy and spray, brush, or roll. Still has to be blocked out so application method is less an issue as having a good product on there.

MPandC #1355698 Fri Apr 17 2020 02:13 PM
G
Shop Clutterist
Originally Posted by MPandC
My approach would be to media blast by a qualified person, followed by coating with epoxy primer. Skip the rattle can junk as it will not prevent moisture from getting to your metal, and would have to come off again. Put good stuff on once and you won't have to redo it.. You can mix epoxy and spray, brush, or roll. Still has to be blocked out so application method is less an issue as having a good product on there.
thumbs_up

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
klhansen #1355734 Fri Apr 17 2020 05:16 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Originally Posted by klhansen
Media blasting would be best in my opinion.

I agree. Best part is, if you can point a media blast nozzle at it, you can usually point a paint gun at it.

60ApacheC20 #1355758 Fri Apr 17 2020 08:05 PM
B
General Purpose
I would sandblast it with a cheap suction-from-a-bucket kit. I do that all the time. Outdoors. You will need a 80 gal or up compressor. I have a large cabinet blaster also. Parts like the old thick metal fender with curves and angular shapes do not warp with a home kit. Just move around the part as you go. The more crooked a part is, the stronger against warp it is. Flatter/larger pieces like doors and hoods and tops need more care. Go with wire wheel in the center of those pieces. Welding on things is more of a warp problem.
A wire wheel on a grinder is also very good. Chemicals are too risky for the paint job later. Never tried molasses. You can wire wheel 90% and blast the nooks.
Harbor sells the black slag type stiff. So does home depot. 3M breather and pull over hood is required.
You don't need to start farming things out. The fun is doing it and learning for the next 10 projects.
Restoration by proxy is expensive and not a hobby. Nothing needs farmed out except painting.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

bartamos #1355809 Sat Apr 18 2020 12:49 AM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Originally Posted by bartamos
Nothing needs farmed out except painting.
Nah! That can be done too!

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop